Spring Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DLReed, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

1. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Weird question: Does onboard spring reverb get "springier" over time? I purchased a Blues Junior IV and the spring reverb isn't really as drippy as I was hoping it would be. It comes with a RubyTubes tank which is nice sounding but I can't get the Ventures vibe going with it. I put a ModTank in that I happened to have but I prefer the Ruby Tubes.
    Anyway, I do have a couple of spring reverb pedals that work quite well but I was just curious.

String Tree and That Cal Webway like this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer autumn or winter reverb ...

But spring works good also ..

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The reverb circuit in that amp...and all of the Blues/Hot Rod Fenders as well as most other modern ‘tube’ amps that have overdrive switching and reverb...is in the solid state domain. I do not find them of much use. Ommv.....but if you are a fan of that surf music reverb, it was done in the tube domain. There are some modern solid state outboard reverbs that are better than these onboard solid state reverbs, but I am a tube reverb guy. Again...ommv...

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Blues jrs by no means have bad reverb tanks, but they dont have the best either. I've gotten to associate "drippier" sounds with longer tanks, which plainly isn't something the Bjr has going for it. The reverb in my Supro BK12 is better than the Bjrs, but very similar in size.

I have 0 experience replacing tanks, and the specs do have to match, but it seems like a solid option.
    Typically, people LOVE Bjrs, but after a speaker swap and a retube. Maybe you're a better reverb tank away from getting the sound you want, which would be awesome.

Tim S likes this.
  6. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I had a BJ, and the reverb was OK. Just OK.
    I play mostly non-verb amps, and use the green Wampler Faux Spring pedal, which goes so much drippier than the BJ. I think they now have a newer pedal for even surfier verb. Worth a shot if you don't mind outboard pedals.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

It's better than no reverb (and nothing more really), but it is nothing like the sound of tube reverb in classic Fender amps.

I'm keeping an eye out for a standalone spring reverb unit to use with a JTM/plexi clone that has an fx loop. Do you know much about standalone tube reverb unit options? As much as some of the tube reverb units cost, I might be better off just running another amp in parallel set to fully wet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Boreas and Wally like this.
  8. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

It's not a great reverb. It won't get better, you can fiddle with it, but with minimal results.

If you want Dick Dale/Ventures type reverb you're barking up the wrong tree. Some digital outboard units do a credible job. I have an (expensive) Strymon Flint that's quite good, I believe there are some others.

Boreas, cravenmonket and Wally like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

I recently bought a 69 Fender FR 1000 for around $300. These SS tanks sound nice - and probably 30% of the cost of a Fender tube reverb. I am very happy with it. Check them out.

Attached Files:

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. Wally

trxx, the Strymon Flint is the only solid state reverb unit I have heard that I found usable. Ommv..

FenderLover and That Cal Webway like this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

If you're going for a Ventures vibe, you have several options:

(1) buy an outboard reverb unit that you can put before your amp. These are tube-driven and are the sound of the original "surf" reverb.

(2) buy a pedal that emulates the above-mentioned sound. I think there are several good options out there, perhaps the most popular being the Catalinbread Topanga.

(3) If you can find a Surfy Bear reverb unit, those are as good as it gets, aside from a true outboard spring reverb unit.

Any of those should get you where you want to go.

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Will take a look at it. Thanks.

I think I'm probably a bit of a spoiled reverb snob from my old Fender amps. When I listen to demos of digital spring pedals (including the Strymon Flint) I hear metallic resonances of delays that are making up the reverb and other things such as lack of complexity that turns me off from them. I think the tremolo on the Flint sounds really good though.

That extra tube goodness in real tube reverb is underrated too, I think. I never heard a solid state reverb that sounded as good as the tube reverb in the old Fender amps and standalone units.

Boreas and Wally like this.
  13. Wally

Trxx, I am a tube guy myself. The Strymon is the best I have heard in the solid state domain.

fwiw, I have a little solid state reverb unit from .the ‘70s...a Lafayette Model 1. It is so bad that it oddly could be useful in a limited way.
    A9E6B5A8-7822-4791-9C96-A6F10A0CDC15.jpeg
    This unit is small and light...I’ll give it that.

I might prefer it over the crude tube reverb in those Danelectro amps. I have no use for that Dano tube reverb.

14. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

I love love spring reverb. I’ve bought just about every pedal out there...flint,true spring, topanga, oceans 11- these top my list for digital emulations.
    If you enjoy low to mid levels of spring reverb in the background- any of theses are fine with the true spring by source audio easily being the stringiest BUT...

recently I bought a used SurfyBear Compact for $300. It’s the best. An actual 6g15 circuit (fets instead of tubes) and a real accutronics reverb pan- but this unit is small enough for my pedalboard. I bought if for my non reverb amps, but it’s killing the reverb in my 65 DRRI. There is something about that makes me smile every time I use it. It can be dialed back to match the built in reverb, but is capable of so much more spent/boing and if you want it, full on surfy drip. This thing just kills...

Boreas likes this.
  15. Wally

There is a high end thing going on with that demo that I do not like. I don’t hear what I want to hear there. The decay is very quick...no lushness. Ommv....and like I said, I grew up with tube reverb, so I am biased by training.

Boreas likes this.
  16. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

I agree. Perhaps it is the way it was recorded, but I like my 'verbs mellow. But I play in my living room, not on a stage.

Wally likes this.
  17. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Get a SurfyBear or an actual Reverb unit

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have been listening to a ton of demos today of tube amp reverb (of amps I know, for reference), standalone tube reverb units, solid state spring reverb units, real spring solid state pedals, and digital spring reverb pedals. The selling points of the Flint seems to be that it has a nice tremolo, and the digital spring reverb is rolled off enough in the higher frequencies so as to be not so digitally offensiveness to the ears, which seems to be one way of dealing with digital side effects. But that tradeoff leaves the Flint lacking in higher frequency details to my ears, and at longer dwell settings it has a synthetic tail that I'm not a fan of at all. And it looks to have a big volume drop at highest mix settings.

A couple of units that sound better to my ears. The Surfybear is a significantly better sounding reverb (solid state real spring) leaning more on the surfy/drippier side, and it doesn't cost much more than the Flint (the Flint has that nice Tremolo though, which kind of widens the price gap). The MXR M300, not as good sounding as the Surfybear, but capable of being much brighter than the Strymon as well as equally as dark, has it's own tail issue but not a synthy sounding tail that I hate, no volume drop at higher mix settings, significantly lower priced. It just sounds more like a spring reverb to me than the Strymon.

Someone mentioned the Topanga above. I think it sounds overly bright in that it is rolling off the lows too much which is always there in it's sound, doesn't pull off the drip thing, and has a volume issue at higher mix settings.

Also, something that I noticed with digital reverbs in general is that they seem to eat a good chunk of transients. Either the converters aren't very good in these pedals or 24-bit just isn't enough (betting heavily on the first).

Side note: Strymon should do a single effect version of that tremolo model that everyone uses from the Flint. But there are already other equally good sounding harmonic tremolo pedals out there.

Second listen to the MXR. I'm not a fan of it either.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    Wally and Boreas like this.
  19. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

I love my fender tube reverb unit, nothing sound better i think.

6String69, alathIN and Boreas like this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

I agree.

6String69 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.