1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spring reverb in 2019... why??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jun 15, 2019.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had spring reverbs that were awesome sounding (or maybe it was the amp) and spring reverbs that were pretty half ass sounding (or maybe it was the amp). And same with digital. At the moment I have two amps with digital reverbs, one of them OK, one of them really useless. So I use an RV6, generally in the "plate" reverb setting, because that way I can get the sound I want out of both amps. And because I get my dirt from a pedal rather than the amp and sending a reverb-y signal into a dirty amp can get really nasty sounding really quick, at least in my experience. Or is that sounding a dirty signal into a reverb-y amp? I honestly forget - I guess it's been a while. Basically, I use a looper a lot and I like pretty much all my effects in FRONT of my looper in the signal chain so I can play a rhythm one way into the looper and lead a completely different way over it. So my amps are just amps without much coloration going on.

Digital Larry likes this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sproing, splash, rattle, drip, chaos, Ba-DOIOIOINGGG!!!, KlAnG! Kerrassh!

Other than that, no real reason. The digital emulations can get mighty close, until 'over the top' is called for, then real springs rule the roost.

A tremolo set to square(ish) wave feeding a rattly spring is a sound no digital can match. Each to their own.

Orange have the switch on some of their digital reverb equipped amps that allows room/plate/spring emulation from the DSP. All such DSP equipped amps should have that. Pedals have it, why not the amps?

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

why? because.

why does anyone play an acoustic guitar anymore, when there are so many fantastic digital emulations available?

why would anyone play a Telecaster these days, when he could have bought a Parker Fly or a Variac?

why does anyone even tune his guitar anymore, when he could have bought a self-tuning Gibson?

It's just stuff we like playing with, and discussing interminably.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Marc Morfei, stinkey, AAT65 and 6 others like this.
  4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

WHY? so I don't need another pedal on my board. And if pedals are "just as good" what's the point if your amp has good reverb.

StrangerNY, studio1087 and Zepfan like this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty that was my mom, she was way ahead of the curve.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

"Just as good" is a funny way for people to defend and justify their choices when using equipment to emulate something else that already exists.

The range goes from awful to "just as good". But never better. Just as good is the best it can do.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

There's an unpredictability to springs. I have a Kendrick reverb tank and a Catalinbread Topanga pedal. The Topanga always sounds the same while the tank surprises me sometimes. Usually in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, but it always makes playing with it more interesting.

In a band setting the Topanga does fine. At home or recording I like the tank better - it drips, it splashes, all those usual adjectives people put on spring reverb. And it does it in a way the Topanga gets close to... but never improves on.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

This is what I mean. Check out how this dude works his 6G15. Killer.

And yes, there's a pretty girl in there. Keep it respectful.

stinkey, MickM, studio1087 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

The bottom line here is that the technically "best" sound isn't that cool anymore. Technology has advanced to the point that practically anyone can get technical perfection with a laptop and a few mics, so a lot of us have abandoned that in the pursuit of actually sounding interesting.

TokyoPortrait and Owenmoney like this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

You were on a roll there until you got to the "3-barrel tele bridge" part. Then you commenced to meddlin'. :twisted:

Yeah, that's me. And now that I think of it, there are a lot of us here on TDPRI like that. Discussions here defend the antiquated technology of vacuum tubes, spring reverb, hide glue and (gulp!) three barrel saddles, all the while employing computer technology to type our replies...some of us on our cell phones!

Owenmoney, MickM and elihu like this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

It's like some of the old, crap amps that some players use. It gives you a distinct sound that references music that already exists, in a Pavlovian sort of way. It always sounds silly to me -- 100% style over substance.

12. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

my amps dont even have a reverb...

3-Chord-Genius and Greg_L like this.
  13. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

I love the FRV-1. Probably more than the reverb in my HRD.

Has anyone tried a reissue Fender tank? Does it actually add to the tone because it has a preamp?

14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The original poster....

You define a premise to which you adamantly cling. Then you challenge everyone to change your mind....

It's Saturday, I'm on my first cup of coffee. But instead of telling you to pound sand I'll say this, I've tried about 6 different reverb pedals and probably 20 different plugins. Nothing sounds as pleasing as good or realistic, with all it's rounded saturation, as my Fender Reverb tank. None of my plugins sound as good as the Lexicon 300 or TC M3000 reverbs in my rack. We differ in opinion, hardware is better to my ears. I don't need anyone to convince me otherwise as I've done the shootouts.

All that said, there's a place and time for digital and I do use them but they have limitations in their depth and width characteristics inside a mix. But I will concede, no hardware or digital solution is a universally applicable sound. It's good to mix things up with a variety approach.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a few that didn't. In all reality, two of them were Marshall JCM half stacks and when you're playing rock music in a bar, you don't miss the reverb. I also had small Vox tube amps with no reverb; I put a Boss pedal in front of them, but reverb gets a little weird at the front end of an overdriven amp.

bftfender likes this.
  16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All of your points are valid and well taken.

For myself, I like the Springs when playing live.
    With DRUMS, and everything else that happens at GIG Speed, I can dial a spring faster than a digital. Every time.

When I record, it's dry as a bone.
    Reverb is always done in Post. My Lexicon plug-in always delivers.

StrangerNY likes this.
  17. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My Boss digital reverb pedal does that.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

It's a calculated and intentional theme.

19. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I'm a Hall reverb supporter taken from pedals or multieffects. :):):)

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'
    When I played loud rock music at gigs I never even thought about reverb because it would have been lost in the mix anyway. These days I still play out, but with less aggressive music and now reverb and delay are always in my chain, and always on. I'm pretty sure I could never get the smooth reverb with long trails with a spring reverb unit, but I do know that digital reverb units can reproduce the spring sound accurately.

String Tree likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.