Spring Reverb Fans?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ShortintheSleeve, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I've noticed a number of new spring reverb pedals on the market. Is anyone here a big fan of spring reverb in a live setting? My amp (Vox AC15) has a built-in reverb, but unless I'm playing in a dead room, I set my amp dry (I always have at least a bit of light OD going) and let the room provide natural reverb. I do use a hall reverb when I want a washed out/ambient thing, but for rock rhythm I like my tone as upfront and slightly sneering as possible and I find I spring reverb detracts from that.

jman72, El Tele Lobo and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd been using digital reverb for years, but I got an amp this year that has a really nice spring reverb so I've turned off the digital and gone with the spring reverb.

But whichever one I'm using, I use it very sparingly. Too much and as you said, everything washes out. I like having just a touch that will almost disappear once the band starts rolling.

I do also have a Mooer Red Truck on my board and I set that to a huge wash of reverb. It comes in handy maybe a couple of times a night when I want a certain chord to just be a wall of sound, otherwise I rarely use it on its own.

- D

ShortintheSleeve likes this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

It all depends;
    If you know the venue can give you the sound you want, it sounds like you aren't going to be happy without the natural sound reflections.

I love spring reverb, but dont use it on everything. I find digital reverb can be good or really bad, depending the pedal or amp its built in to.

Using chorus, reverb, or delay is very much personal taste for the flavor, and while I was spoiled by my fender 75s reverb tank, I never felt the need to have reverb using my AB165 bassman.

I've not messed with the spring reverb pedals (digital emulators of spring) in a bit, but the external spring units were good, but i never felt compelled to buy one; I'd use the amp with reverb if I needed reverb.
    I'd say try a few of what yoyre looking at and decide if its better than the ac15 built in capability.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I use the Plate mode on my Boss RV-6 for my default reverb setting with my AC-15 for clean tones. I only switch to the Spring mode if I'm using my Boss TR-2 Tremolo. I like my Hardwire DL-8 for slapback chores. But...I used my Open Road into my Vox last night with no other effects...and the tone was glorious!
    I sure love Vox amps! :cool:

stnmtthw and ShortintheSleeve like this.
  5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The reason I like spring reverb is the 'drip'. It isn't subtle and it's (often) a part of how I play. It's practically a percussive element.

Beyond that, yeah... loud, in a live room, or a crowded room, reverb is often lost.

ShortintheSleeve and BorderRadio like this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love my Digitech Polara, I use it in Spring mode about 99% of the time.

I would happily ditch it if I got an amp with a good reverb built in and that reverb was footswitchable, as I don't leave reverb on all the time. That said it seems like Spring reverb tanks in amps are not the most long term reliable thing in the world. They sure sound amazing though.

7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

DSCN0626-1024x768.jpg I'm using a Sole-Mate Spring Reverb with my Tremolux. It is very close to Fender onboard spring reverb IMHO. I have to say that when you are playing with a band, much of the nuance of different reverb settings can get lost. I use reverb in my living room all the time. When I play out you have to consider the room more.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of my amps have reverb. The only reverb pedal I currently own is a Zoom MS-70 CDR. I like it for over the top stuff or acoustic guitar.

I do own a Real Tube Stereo Spring Reverb rack unit with two spring pans in it. I used it with a Traynor Bassmaster and a 1 x 12" cab with an EVM 12L speaker. That rig made my Fender amps jealous. I need to get it home from my bass player's house sometime soon.

aerhed and ShortintheSleeve like this.
  9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I do like spring reverb, but also I use it at lower settings (2-3-4 max). Some of my favorite amps use tube-driven spring reverb: Princeton Reverb, PRRI, Deluxe Reverb, DRRI.

I sold my PRRI to fund a Tungsten Crèma Wheat 5E3 clone, which does NOT have reverb or tremolo, so I've got to get those from a box.

I have also tried several spring reverb pedals in the past year. The Topanga is the best pedal I've ever heard: simply amazing. I had a Source Audio True Spring, which had a nice spring reverb (not as nice as the Topanga) but it did have tremolo too, so that was an added bonus. I'm now waiting on the Fender Tre-Verb (tremolo [optical, bias, harmonic] + reverb ['63 tank, '65 amp, plate]) to ship mid-March. I've already pre-ordered and can't wait to get it.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I quit using spring reverb and reverb in general maybe 15 years ago.
    Used to be hooked on it but also wanting Marshall sounds, which are not great with reverb.
    I still have several amps with spring reverb, plus a Holy Grail for electric violin, but don't like it with guitar as well as a low AD setting that's reverb like but not reverb.

11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

spring reverb ... especially the surfy bear

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I love spring reverb, use it anywhere and everywhere. Used to be outboard units. Now the Topanga pedal. I don't go for drenched surf, well short of that. But it's not something I choose to do without, regardless of room. It's part of my sound.

13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

There is nothing worse than a dead room, you have to be able to add a little reverb....especially in a crowded room as people will kill sound. Gotta have the verb, natural or otherwise.

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

What mad dog said: "It's part of my sound." I use a Surfy Bear at home and the EHX nano Holy Grail on the spring setting live, unless I'm using my Deluxe Reverb. I can't do without good reverb.

mad dog likes this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I’d love to get a surfy bear. Who wants to build one for me for a nominal fee?

Ira7 and BorderRadio like this.
  16. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I had one, it was pretty cool but I preferred my True Spring so it got sold.

I’m a surf fan so spring reverb is a requirement. Unsubtle spring reverb is just fine. I don’t use reverb for most other stuff but when I do use reverb (surf or otherwise) spring is my preferred type.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Love spring reverb when I'm playing clean by myself. I use the real thing in my Silverface Pro and Twin reverbs- both are magical. For my 5e3, I use a Hall of Fame with the spring setting and it's almost as good.

That being said, I usually play in a band with lots of dirt and reverb just does NOT work. It just washes out my tone and sounds horrible. Every other guitar player I play with uses way too much reverb and it just sounds bad. Don't be that way.

So,if you're playing clean, go with the verb. Otherwise, leave it alone.

stnmtthw likes this.
  18. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I would kill for real Spring these days, through a tube amp. (One of my little Fender SS’s has a real tank, so it’s not tube driven Spring.)

That’s the sound I adore, pedals can’t do it, and I can’t afford or justify a Surfy or other stand-alone unit right now. Not playing out.

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

My Topanga is crushing it in the spring reverb dept.

High Head Brad, mad dog and Axis29 like this.
  20. Synchro

Synchro Tele-Meister

I don’t post at TDPRI often, these days, because I’m play a Gretsch most of the time, but reverb is a favorite subject, so I have to chime in.

I play Surf, some Chet Atkins style, early ‘60s Rock n’ Roll and some ‘60s Country. Spring reverb is common in these genres, but I use Plate reverb more and more, these days.

The TC Electronic Hall of Fame has some great toneprints, including a couple of Spring emulations which are excellent. There are also some interesting Plate emulations, including one created by Robben Ford which is a Plate-based Surf reverb.

The Stanley Blue Nebula http://stanleyfx.co.uk/bluenebula.html has an emulation of Abbey Road Studio’s Plate reverb units and this is an incredible sounding reverb. The pedal is not cheap, but if you like Reverb and Delays, it’s hard to beat.

The Spring Reverb segment is pretty hot right now. Boss started the ball rolling with their Fender Tube Reverb emulator, the FRV-1. This pedal is no longer in production, but it had a great spring reverb drip. The Catalinbread Topanga is another great Spring Reverb emulation and has defended its market segment quite well for a number of years. It’s my first choice for Spring Reverb emulation.

While neither Spring nor Plate, the EarthQuaker Effects Dispatch Master is a very worthwhile pedal. The reverb is more of the Hall family and it includes a nice delay, as well. I use it for my Chet Atkins “boom-chuck” slapback and the Hall Reverb sounds convincing to my ear.

One last pedal I’ll mention is the Strymon Flint, which has a Spring, a Plate and an ‘80s Rack reverb, combined with three tremolos; an Harmonic Tremolo, a Bias Varying Tremolo and an Optical Tremolo. I’ve yet to play one of these, but I’ve seen/heard some YouTube demos which sounded promising. For me, the obvious advantage is combining two effects into one box, and they happen to be the two effects that come in very handy for Surf and Early ‘60s Country.

I agree that if you are going to use distortion, reverb can be problematic. Delay might serve better in that situation.

santiago53 and ShortintheSleeve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.