Spray Sherwin Williams Lovoc vs rattle cans

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by slick4772, May 4, 2014.

1. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

I've been strongly considering purchasing an hvlp system for purposes of spraying clear. I found a thread on this site where a few members have said that Sherwin Williams Lovoc can be sanded after 4 days. I have been using Reranch products, and they are good, but if there is something out there that hardens in 4 days vs 30, I've got to try it.

Also, when spraying Reranch products, I'm following the rule of 3s. If you want to get 12 coats on - which I've a read a lot if people do - you're spending 2 weeks applying clear. If I were to use Lovoc, per one of the threads on here, I'd only need 3-5 coats. I assume that has more to do with the way a gun can apply the clear vs. rattle cans.

So, the questions I have are:

1. Can you really get enough clear on with a gun using Lovoc in just 3-5 coats?
    2. Can you really start sanding after 4-5 days of curing time?
    3. What are the rules when using a gun system - would I put all 3-5 coats on in one day? How long between coats? I'm just wondering what the process is with a gun since you need to clean it after you're done. Do you spray one coat, clean the gun, spray another coat, clean the gun, etc.

Thank you for your help. This is my first post.

2. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I usually end up with just 2 or 3 coats of clear. I shoot them all the same day. I'll generally start wetsanding the next day. Sherwin Williams LOVOC is great stuff. It will always be my first choice, but I find that Mohawk lacquer is a close second. If my S/W store doesn't have any LOVOC in stock, I'll go down the street to the Mohawk dealer without a second thought.

Bob

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Get the SW K-something thinner (not cheap but it works better than the Kleen Strip)(do not clean your stuff with this thinner only use it for lacquer) If you can't get it use the kleen strip Lacquer thinner but only use 1/2 what you would of the SW stuff so about 15%

As for the set up.... The Harbor Frieght small detail gun:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html
    and a compressor like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bostitch...Peak-HP-Motor-DISCONTINUED-CAP2060P/204153333
    are a great way to get started. The key to the compressor is how many CFMs it puts out. For the gun it's how many CFMs it needs to spray. For both of these the number is 3.

4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I almost always spray all my clear coats in one day. Sometimes, if I don't get started until afternoon, the process will spread out over multiple days. I have had no problems spraying 5 to 6 coats of LOVOC in one day. Spray 2 medium heavy passes per coat. Wait 30 to 60 minutes spray 2 more medium heavy passes. Wait 30 to 60 minutes spray 2 more medium heavy passes etc etc etc. If I start spraying in the morning, I have no problem getting all of my coats on in a Saturday.

Caveat: As stated above, this is weather dependent. If humidity is fairly high, you may have to go slower. I've never had problems with runs or sags no matter how many coats I have sprayed.

I have wet sanded LOVOC after 10 days with great results, though I have read of others doing so after 5 to 7 days. I do know that you don't have to wait a month. Once you get your gun set up, and Lacquer, thinner, retarder ratios dialed in, you can spray it almost perfectly flat. I often can take my necks and bodies straight to the buffer. Sometimes I have to sand a little with 800 or 1000, but even then it is minimal.

5. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Also, I forgot to add in my previous post, in addition to a quality thinner, mix in some Butyl Cellusolve (retarder). It helps the lacquer flow out so you won't need as many coats to get a flat surface. That's why I can get away with 2-3 coats & wetsand & buff the next day. The lacquer flows out so well, I don't need to do much wetsanding.

Bob

6. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all of the suggestions. So, the consensus is that you can get enough coats on in a day but definitely in 2 days if need be. What is the main difference between the spray rig and the rattle cans? Is it that the cans can't get enough material out to get sufficient thickness built up or is it that the gun just puts it on so much more evenly? Just curious. I think it is worth it just to avoid the lengthy cure time.

7. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Both really. In general, rattle can products tend to be thinned out more so it can spray half decent. Thinned out = less solids. With a gun setup, you are not fighting the limitations of a spray bomb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.