Spray gun suitable for small compressor?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LoudTele, Aug 15, 2010.

1. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

I have a small pancake style compressor from Harbor Freight. I have been using air brushes for guitar painting, but it's slower going, and harder to get the clearcoat to "flow" with the lower volume sprayer.

Is there a spraygun out there that can get by with a 1 CFM at 40 PSI/.6 at 90 PSI compressor, or do I need a larger compressor?

2. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

I am unaware of any gun besides an air brush that will run on that. Even an extremely efficient gun will realistically need more like 4 cfm @ 40 psi. You also want the biggest tank you can get for using a sprayer. I would say 8 gallons as an absolute minimum. While the pump is cycling through the on/off, the tank acts as a "bank" to keep the gun supplied with a constant pressure in the 35-45 psi range.

You can still utilize your pancake. Set-up a "tap" line on another compressor. Plumb-in a "tee"connector with a shut-off valve into a male quick-connect, and you can quickly and easily add the pancake as additional cfm and storage to another marginal compressor. It gets kind of loud when both pumps are on, but it works!

3. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

If your compressor has a hard time with air brush guns, I would probably upgrade the compressor.

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I too would suggest an airbrush, you can buy one for about 10 bucks at harbor freight. If you like it and can figure out how to use it, I would upgrade to a nicer air brush.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.