Spray Equipment?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by number3, May 5, 2011.

1. number3

number3 TDPRI Member

I've been doing my finishing work by hand and I have some extra money saved up. I would like to start spraying my body's but I have no idea what I need as far as spray equipment goes. Any advice?

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ang Air compressor and a gravity fed spray gun.

3. number3

number3 TDPRI Member

how big of a compressor?

4. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

it depends on a few questions

If you have all day to spray you can get by with the crappy little 3 gallon jobs you see all over the place. I have tried them and do not recommend using them.

next criteria would be, does it have wheels - If it does, then it will probably work good. around 5 gallon 2 hp would be the minimum size.

I would recommend a gas powered compressor. They are mobile and do not require the heavy amperage start. Electric compressors the size capable of spraying bodies can trip circuit breakers of less than 20 amps.

One note. Harbour freight no longer allows you to use the 20% off coupon on compressors. read the tiny print at the bottom of your coupon.

5. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I have this portable filter/regulator thing to ensure clean & dry air to the gun. The filter is made by Motorguard & uses a paper element about the size of a toilet paper roll which is what some people use as a replacement filter. The filter flat does the job.
    [​IMG]

6. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

i bought a 25 gallon 2hp compressor from harbor freight and a bunch of their cheapo guns, 50 ft air hose, some filters to keep the air dry and clean, some quick connectors, and a spray mask. i'm all set. all this didnt cost as much as a decent compressor from home depot or sears.

the guns at harbor freight are just fine for guitar painting. i bought quite a few for different uses (primer, base coat, clear, metal flake, etc) they are almost disposable for the price.

i also picked up a variable speed polisher/buffer there for around $30. it works great.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Take a look at some woodworking catalogs for options, then compare to places like Harbor Freight. The most versatile, and although it seems unlikely, it's also the most economical, is a huge compressor and pay-as-you go to build a set of nicer and nicer spray guns. Start with a siphon-fed cup gun, then save up for gravity-fed cup guns which you'll find are the standard in autobody paint shops. Cheap ones work fine, and expensive ones are HVLP (high-volume, low-pressure) conversion guns, and then there are real nice HTE (high transfer efficiency) guns.

An alternative to a compressor-driven system is one of the HVLP kits. Earlex is pretty cheap, and so is Campbell Hausfeld but their guns are not full featured and when you graduate you'll have nothing to show for the money. If you get a huge compressor and start buying spray guns, you won't regret any of the purchases. Having said that, I actually use HVLP system made by Capspray (Wagner). There are pricier systems from Fuji and Apollo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.