1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spotify download numbers that are crazy

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Dec 26, 2019.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Yep. TOTALLY different than when I was an angsty teen listening to the same three Nirvana songs over and over while wearing flannel and generally being rebellious against authority...just like everyone else and exactly like MTV told us all to do. ;)

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was listening to the same Zeppelin and Hendrix etc records and other non known bands throughout that period. I'd been wearing flannel shirts years before Nirvana came along. I didn't mind their In Utero album though. At least flannel was cheap back then, much harder to keep up with $500 buck shoes, designer brand merch and luxury sports cars these days. A large stable of ho's and having to take them all on luxury boat cruises will send you broke fast too.:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    MrGibbly likes this.
  3. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I'm with you on that. I really don't consider it music since it has no melody. Try humming one and see if anyone can recognize it.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

You have to remember that the older music is spread out over so many different videos for the same song. Cumulatively, the Beatles have more views (hopefully) SPREAD OUT for one song than ONE video released by the label for a current rapper.

5. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

hopefully the kids with talent (and there are a lot of them) are making a few bucks too

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

The population of the USA, when "Here Comes The Sun" in 1969 was recorded was about 201 million. Today the population in the USA is what? About 340 million? How many people that were around in 1969 are no longer here today, or are here but never hard of Spotify? Might the demographics and possible technology barriers be revealing numbers we never expected?

7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I was riding with my son a few days ago, with Spotify playing down through his most-streamed songs of 2019. #1 was "Good as Hell" by Lizzo, and he said yeah, I listened to that a lot. #2 was "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X. He got a puzzled look on his face and said he liked the song but didn't think he'd listened to it all that often. But then recalled, when he first encountered the song, he'd put it on repeat play on his work computer and then went away for a four-day weekend.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I resemble that, from a decade earlier, wearing a parachute style jacket, Reeboks, and had all three VH albums on cassette, because Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Risky Business, and Porky's told us to.

trev333, MrGibbly and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Yesssss!!!

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I agree.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Indeed.

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Yippee. Another #it's not the same now as when I was young' thread. :rolleyes:

13. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

As an indie recording artist I find this fascinating. The numbers are meaningless in the sense thatBeatles and Springsteen fans BUY or BOUGHT CDs, vinyl, cassettes, 8tracks or mp3s. Streaming is free and costs the consumer nothing..,NOTHING. There is no deciding to use your allowance or your hard earned dollars to download an album off Amazon or iTunes. So, the numbers are skewed. It meant something when people actually bought their music, as I still do.
    An album going gold or platinum was about units sold.
    Including streaming in the equation totally changes the equation. But if streaming is how people listen without buying, which it clearly is, how should we add it to the equation?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.