1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spotify download numbers that are crazy

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boxla, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I have a 15 year old who loves all of this so called mumble rap. Coming up in the age of EPMD, Rakim, Too $hort etc.. I know good and bad rap when I hear it but when he throws out these Spotify download numbers to me, I'm speechless nearly every time and they jump over to youtube numbers as well. He'll throw a number out then I ask him to look up one of mine. I'm always amazed, for example:

Drake;
    God's Plan-1.4 billion
    In My feelings-948 million

Bob Marley;
    Three Little Birds- 367 million

Juice WRLD (his favorite);
    Lucid Dreams-1,034 billion

Michael Jackson;
    Billie Jean-616 million

Lil Nas X;
    Old Town-833 million
    Panini-365 million

The Beatles;
    Here Comes the Sun-397 million

Post Malone;
    Sunflower-1.2 billion
    Wow-796 million
    Goodby-509 million
    Circles-505 million

Grateful Dead;
    Casey Jones-35 million

Sublime;
    Santeria-291 million
    what I got-207 million

Lil Uzi Vert;
    XO Tour-1.1 billion

Beyoncé;
    Halo-715 million

Ed Sheeran;
    Perfect-1.3 billion
    Shape of You-2.3 billion

etc. etc. etc.
    I guess these rappers may actually be making the money they say they are. I don't think they are tied down to record labels etc. like back in the day. Many of these guys are making these songs for soundcloud on their laptop then getting a billion downloads. Add that to YouTube etc.. and there is money coming in.
    Is this list simply indicative of the age group, the future or what?

jannodude and Toadtele like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

My thoughts on this is that different demographics access music differently.

Also, I guess 1 billion plays in spotify would get you a paycheque of about 4 million dollars. Not too shabby.

3. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

I must be out of touch as I have never heard any of the artists in the billion download category.

4. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

"know good and bad rap when I hear it but when he throws out"

There's such a thing as good rap? To me, it's ALL crap!

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I remember when I was 17 having the time and inclination to listen to the same song 20 times in a row. Presumably the same genetics means this is skewed for children too

emisilly likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, you are :)

I'm totally out of touch, but I'm well aware of a few of them

willc68 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I take it as confirmation people are thinking less for themselves these days than ever before. TV and the media, product placement and now YouTube, twitter "influencers" are doing their thing and all is working as planned.
    The music industry decided it was time to can rock, folk etc. The public just went along with it like the sheep a lot of them are.

The majority would rather listen to a basic beat with lyrics about luxury consumer items and gangsta lifestyles these days because that's all they know and are told to embrace. Rebels that line up to be fleeced by the system.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  8. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

I remember reading pharell for the song happy for like 47 million plays made like $5k I think the deal has changed since then but. look music is like society it's dumbed down. it's a background to most of the kids lives. every form of art has lost it's value because unlike playing a instrument there is really no work. and people no longer have the patience to learn instruments. let alone try to under stand a townes vand Zandt song or write em.

I mean they don't even have the vocabulary to understand things, that I consider high art in language. like a song like snow don't fall or into my arms by nick cave, or some chris whitley song it was never commercially huge anyway. it's not a easy pay off. good or bad since downloading and the internet most art has suffered. you can be mad bitter or just accept, it culture is going through a dark period. and I do love that here comes the sun is the top streamed beatles song. I call it george's revenge.

look at movies, the new joker movie is the greatest con against the Hollywood system I ever seen. the performances and story would of been just the same if it was about a a failed stand up comedian, who lost it. it really didn't have anything to do with a comic book until the end. i know it was a origin story but it could of stood on it's own. but they had to use the joker to attract the attention to it.

9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’d be willing to bet all of the artists listed still have a hell of a publicity machine behind them to achieve those heights. There are no self made artists getting a billion listens/downloads or whatever. And it’s a very small percentage of artists making big bucks off of Spotify. The market for mid level and lower artists is pretty much nil if we’re talking about making serious coin.

Pretty much every artist you can remember from the 90s or before probably had a gold record or near it, if not multiple. And they were able to get residual payments off that for years. But that’s drying up and all that’s left to actually make money is touring.

These names are overwhelmingly the exception, not the rule.

televillian and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  10. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

You may be right on some of this but I'm really not sure on all of it. We can't look at this stuff from a 70,80,90's view point. It's not the same way anymore. Most of these dudes are 100% self made. If you listen to as many songs as I unfortunately have had to endure, you realize no one is writing any of these terrible lyrics for them. Most songs sounds like they were made in garage band and they can post and distribute them worldwide for free. Most are absolutely terrible but they are getting millions and millions of downloads of their songs and views on youtube. There was neither of those platforms 15 or so years ago. This is the crazy stuff. A lot of these kids don't have publicity machines behind them. This isn't 1984 or 1977. This is 2019 where any person can make a song on their laptop, post it on soundcloud and youtube for absolutely free. Then somehow kids, like mine, find them and probably download and watch the videos 500 times. I'm sure some of them like a Drake or a present day Post Malone have managers, publicity, lawyers etc. but I think they are the exception, not the other way around. It's a brand new version of underground rap. There are numerous "underground" rappers who have sold hundreds of thousands of cds and music with little to no support, all on their own. Prof for example. One of the big ones Juice WRLD just died about two weeks ago. Did you hear about it? I didn't see one thing about it and I only know it because my son told me. This was a dude getting millions of dollars and more or less completely unknown to the main world. That is what's crazy to me. Rappers back in the day used to rap about cars, money, houses etc.. but I think a lot of them talked the talk but unfortunately were not rolling it like they rapped about. I think a ton of these dudes actually are. Someone is making money off an independent single that has a billion downloads.

Who knows when it comes to spotify but if we are to assume a very small percentage of artists are making big bucks off of Spotify, what do we actually know? Look at who many of us would search if we wanted to know who's getting their music downloaded. probably some of the ones I posted above, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen (highest is 216K) etc.. but as we now see those guys aren't even scratching the surface so it would be easy to assume no one is cashing in but what about the guys with a billion downloads or super high hundreds of millions? And there are more of them than you could ever imagine. That is what's amazing to me. My son plays a crapbag tune, I ask how many views on youtube and he replies 775 million. What!!!

I think for most artist pre-2010, the only way they can make money is by touring. But I think there's a whole gang of these guys making a ton of money simply by downloads and views which equate to advertising dollars. I don't even know how many concerts some of these guys do a year. I would imagine someone of them do very few and some maybe none.

Times have changed in the music industry. When a Lil Baby is out downloading a Bob Dylan by over 500% you know the times they are a changing.

Granted, I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea how these little dudes are getting paid but someone is getting paid and whoever it is is getting more than Metallica. Maroon 5 seems to do OK though. They are almost to a billion but can you imagine their nut compared to a Kodak Black who's right there with them but with probably 99.8% less in overhead.

Very similar to these little kids my 9 year old watches on youtube who have 20 million subscribers and they are now paying their parent's houses off.

Crazy!

11. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I feel your pain. I just shake my head when any of that "mumble rap" plays anywhere. God help us.

12. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went and picked up an 18-year old friend from college the other day and she was telling me about her Tik Tok app. She plays a tune and videos herself in some goofy parody for like 30 to 60 seconds.

It was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. Nonetheless, she had 2,200 views in one day, plus had three other postings over a thousand. I suppose if she had more followers someone would advertise. Content value on a 1-10 scale, maybe 1.

Yep, times are changing. This is the new playground. Kids don't even go outside any more.

13. Chunkocaster

Most of these guys are probably buying millions of views. They invest in their own fame and publicity. Much like Youtubers do.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

guys, such as me and you, would think that they must be buying (THEY HAVE TO BE) but they seem to have genuine fans with no need to buy a single view. I brought my son to see a guy by the name of Bryson Tiller. Like you, I had no idea who he was. This was about a year or two ago and he set the attendance record at the Yum Center in Louisville and I think it still stands even after Metallica, G N R and Celine have rolled through. This guy is a complete underground semi-unknown and he has well over a billion hits on spotify with just three of his songs.

I've seen the tik tok too with my kids and it's bumboclaat crazy!

I have no idea how it's all working, how they are recording these songs, getting them exposed and making deposits at the bank but someone in their corner is making more money than many in the music business.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

500 million streams should amount to a pay day of roughly 2 million USD, before taxes

that is for spotify, dunno about the rest

16. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

that is a totally valid point, and not many know that this is exactly how Tekashi 69 "seeded" his own internet fame. he worked through some bot / advert farm agency place over in Slovakia to get his "career" off the ground. they oughtta keep him locked up. i hope it is clear that i am not a fan.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

I have seen it in action in real time on Youtubers channels, it's well known within that community that you can buy blocks of tens of thousands or as many views as you can afford. YouTube also enable that and will kick in and promote viral/trending videos once enough views are rolling in. I think that's how most viral/trending videos get going. Most successful YouTube channels have financial backing much like management. I like seeing amateur Youtubers with good honest content but I really dislike those that are basically new world TV shows. Same goes for the music videos.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  18. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

But do you really want to understand their inane ramblings? I m pretty sure I personally don’t.

Cheers,
    Grumpy G

howardlo likes this.
  19. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Like this?

:rolleyes:

l

20. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s almost genius level compared to some of it, but, yeah.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.