1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spot on review of new Greta Van Fleet record...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 23, 2018.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I was just scrolling down to post a reply to the same post, and I swear I was also going to start with “And they’d be wrong...” You beat me to it. :lol:
    Yeah, can’t change history with a personal opinion...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I also think Led Zep improved the songs they borrowed, but plenty of people disagree.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I agree 100%. I've heard the songs that LZ supposedly stole, and in all honestly those songs were lifeless and boring by comparison to what Led Zeppelin did with them, at least to my ears. "Dazed and Confused" is one such example of LZ just launching the song into orbit (I forget what the borrowed song was, but you can look it up and compare the two, just the intros are enough to see it).

I'm not a big LZ fan or anything, but I can't deny what they did either.

RLee77 likes this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That's your opinion, which you're certainly entitled to.

The fact is, what LZ did with those songs is drastically different to the original incarnations- whether you like it or not is irrelevant. GVF comes off as a bad carbon copy of Zeppelin, which Zeppelin never did to their source material. You may not like what they did, but it wasn't a slavish copy.

8barlouie, rich815 and TokyoPortrait like this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I heard GVF on national radio the other day, prime time
    Didn't like the tune that much
    NEVER been a fan of LZ at all, but everyone can hear the resemblance
    I don't have to listen to them, but I salute them for being young and playing music with actual instruments
    Can't really stand to listen to many of the old stars
    these days anyway

Nubs likes this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never listened to them because I’ve never been able to tolerate LZ. I just can’t listen to that stuff.

However, I do have a disdain for all of the holier than thou, cooler than you interviews the self-proclaimed arbiters of good taste, Pitchfork, tends to put out.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Unlike Rolling Stone though, some of the reviewers at Pitchfork seem to know something about music and do get it right occasionally. The GVF review, mean as it was, is pretty much on the money. However I did just read a Pitchfork review of a new record by another recent band that completely and utterly missed the mark (that one was a positive review), so their batting average isn't that hot.

8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

This. ^^^^^

This is the future of rock and roll - thanks GVF and all those other young bands out there who are keeping the flame alive in their own ways.

As an aside, the drummer in the country-rock band I play with is in his mid twenties and he just loves classic rock and some of the newer alt-country stuff (much of which is a lot like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers southern rock).

9. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Full disclosure: I've got no dog in this fight. I neither love nor hate Led Zeppelin, but these guys go into some detail on the Led Zeppelin plagiarism question:

https://www.yfbspod.com/led-zeppelin-sucks

One interesting point they make is that LZ may indeed be the best Rock and Roll band of all time, but that that probably says more about the subpar quality of rock and roll as a genre than it does about the greatness of Led Zeppelin as a band. More to the point of the OP, Greta Van Fleet is at best a thinly veiled attempt to sell nostalgia to babyboomers and older Gen Xers, and brother, that business is like printing money. I expect they are making plenty, otherwise they would and should be much more embarrased for themselves. Greta Van Fleet is a joke creatively, but they certainly are making more money than I ever have trying to be original. But people don't want original, they want that piece of their life back before their hearts were broken, before their libidio and potency took a nose dive, and when they could party without the three day hangovers we all get blessed with the minute we hit 35. Nostalgia is good drug and an even better liar.

I'd expect the people who like GVF do so because they sound like LZ, and their metric for what "the best" is has not strayed far from the band they fell in love with when they were 15 or whatever. Which is normal. It is also fine. Meanwhile, the kids that are 15 right now are ready to eat it up, because they eschewed LZ, figuring (rightfully) that its "old people music. So they mostly don't know enough about it to realize its been done before, and GVF is merely a repackaging. But this is also normal, and it is also fine. Music tastes are subjective, for better or worse. GVF fans represent the worst.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    StrangerNY and TokyoPortrait like this.
  10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Not really contributing, but just to throw salt onto the fire (or whatever)...

This would be 1966.

Pax/
    Dean

EllroyJames and backporchmusic like this.
  11. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

So didn't Led Zeppelin I either.
    I have yet to find ANY good or medium review of Led Zeppelin I. I won't even bring you the Scandinaivan scathing reviews. "Robert Plant sounds like an air raid siren alarm...", "Just like Cream, only worse", and so on. I can go on here but I even think some quotes from review is forum violation of rules.

Led Zeppelin 1:
    "covers and rearrangements of contemporary folk and blues songs"
    "Little that its twin, the Jeff Beck Group, didn't say as well or better three months ago" further calling Page a "limited producer" and criticising his writing skills.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - credited to Ann Bredon, Page-Plant re-arrangement.
    You Shook Me - Willie Dixon, J B Lenoir
    Dazed and Confused - uncredited and as such, a rip-off and plagiarizing from Jake Holmes.
    I can't quit you Baby - Willie Dixon
    Black Mountain Side - Page rip-off, uncredited by Bert Jansch originally called "Blackwaterside". It's not a trad.

4 songs out of nine, solely credit to Page, Plant, or Bonham, Jones. Rest covers and ripoffs.

Now, let's find out about Greta van Fleet "anthem", 10 songs, which clocks in about the same time as LZ I : 45:53

"All tracks written by Joshua Michael Kiszka, Jacob Thomas Kiszka, Samuel Francis Kiszka, and Daniel Robert Wagner."

As far as I know, all of them members of Greta van Fleet.

montemerrick and Nubs like this.
  12. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Fair enough, I guess my tastes just run contra to theirs. I’m not into much of the stuff they seem to fawn over and they frequently pan many records I really enjoy.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Would be cool to hear the reviewer's banned. I don't think I've ever heard GVF and I'm not a LZ fan but at least it's a band with young kids playing instruments.

The reviewer talks about costumes. "Slash", SRV, Joe "Bonna" Massa, etc... all wear/wore costumes as well. I don't get what the big deal is.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow. I missed the whole GVF thing. I tried to listen to When the Curtain Falls or some such. Got about 30 seconds in and realized I had heard that exact guitar riff, melody, and drum beat, from a few different songs, mashed together poorly. **** Sandwich indeed. And I’m not a Led Zep guy.

Edit - @noah330 - here is some of our stuff. http://jcallesen.wixsite.com/floormodel/music

Nobody has signed us to anything. So we’re trying to scrape together $$ and time to record the 15 songs we have in the can either as a 10-11 song LP and cut/hold some, or write a couple more and drop an LP and EP if we can afford it. Which seems doubtful.

I’m not sure if that will establish my bona fides or discredit me, but there you go.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I like the article and the many images the writer uses to describe the band and their output--but he suffers from the same affliction he claims the band does. Instead of Lester Bangs, we get an insult comic who blantantly misuses the word 'credulous' (where he likely meant credible--but who knows) and apparently has such a thorough affection for the terms 'mollycoddling' and 'garish' (among others) that he uses them irrespective of their actual meaning. But Pitchfork is more attitude over accuracy anyway. Their editorial stance is that if the writing is opinionated and insulting, it needn't also be competent and based in reason.

Lester Bangs lies still and stony as he gave up spinning in his grave over Pitchfork long ago.

EDIT--but to clarify--idea-wise, with regard to GVF, the article is spot on.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

By "written," I assume they mean "shamelessly ripped off from Led Zeppelin records." At least Zeppelin took from different artists instead of just backing the truck up to Willie Dixon's house and carting away everything that wasn't nailed down, only to to be taken home, stripped and reassembled. Zep also had the good manners to re-interpret the stuff they stole (except maybe Black Mountain Side) instead of just regurgitating it whole.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Ok - so then, let’s call the reviewed GVF record “their first record”. And obviously “Led Zeppelin” is the first Zeppelin record .
    You give the nod to GVF. Fine - to get to my point - you got it. The first GVF record wins.

But let’s all keep our ears peeled for the next GVF record.

Because we can compare that to Led Zeppelin two and we can compare their third record to Led Zeppelin III and then we can skip over the fourth record because who really likes houses of the holy anyways (semi-kidding) and go straight to GVF’s eventual double record and we’ll compare that to physical graffiti...

Rightly so Zeppelin is slammed for ripping people off. But those same slammers will not address all their completely original songs.

Hell - Even on the first record. If “communication breakdown” never existed and it came out on the clash’s first record nobody would have batted an eye and it would now be considered a punk classic.

The Ocean, Dancing Days, (the song) Houses of The Holy, (the song) Song Remains The Same, Black Dog...and one or two more...:lol:

GVF keep on writing !

Jackadder likes this.
  18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Man, you could whip that thing like a frisbee!

19. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Let's wait for Plant/Page suing them then, see if it holds up in court.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you need a court decision to hear the Zeppelin riffs all over GVF's music, well, I'd suggest getting fitted for some Beltones.

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.