Spooky Robin Williams & Pam Dawber test scene

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Oct 13, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not really that weird.....one in 365 1/4 chances. ;)
    Better than the odds of getting struck by lightning.

drf64 likes this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

popeye was entertaining. And we got to see a reasonably healthy Shelley Duvall before her sad decline.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Matt Sarad likes this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my wife shares a birthday with her sister who is 10 years older. My grandson shares a birthday with his father. My daughter shares a birthday with my daughter-in-law.

Larry F and nojazzhere like this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

He's not bad. A little off, but more than passable. I'd know it wasn't Robin but I could watch him and enjoy his performance in a biopic.

She's better looking than Pam Dauber. Sexier. She has the voice and the mannerisms down. Actually, I think her Pam Dauber is better than his Robin Williams but he is very good. It's probably harder to really nail someone as eccentric and manic as Robin compared to somebody who seems as normal as Pam.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Bear with me. I know someone from U. Iowa who was one of 2 composition students as undergrad. He still remains close to him. He teaches at a California university. My colleague told me to say hi to his friend, who was going to the same conference one time. Good guy. When he left, he exited the hall that we were in by walking up some stairs. Suddenly, kerpow and shazam, I was drawn to the way that he seemed to pull his arms back, while pushing his chest forward very slightly. Who else walked that way on occasion? Yeah, my friend from Iowa. I imagined that they both adopted this style as undergrads, when they were close for 4 years.

I used to see that walk sometimes with super-intelligent, nerdy, slightly cocky guys. They looked to be science and radio club kinds of guys.

I've seen around a bit, such as Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted's... I don't know how I would describe Reeve's character, but he had the walk, even when standing, if that makes sense.

The Williams character in the youtube clip goes into and out of this pose at around 3:45.

I don't know what my point is, but I wonder if others know what I'm talking about. It's fairly unique "pose" if you will. But what does it convey to others?

Thanks for letting me muse on this look, which I have seen occasionally since high school (1970). I believe there is more than just meets the eye. Psychological characteristic? Influenced by some early adopter? Secret society? Descendants of a common family line?

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nahhh...

Not the real thing by far.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I was impressed. I am a big Robin Williams fan. From this test scene alone I would go see it.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Who's the girl?

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I notice body language and traits like this in types of people as well. I know what you are talking about, but don't know what it translates to. Confidence, compensating for confidence, pushing your public persona forward etc...interesting.

Larry F likes this.
  10. Larry F

^^^^^This is precisely what I think!

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  11. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

He nails Williams voice and mannerisms. Seriously if they didn't 'alter' his voice...it's an amazing job.

I hope this is better than "Man in the Moon". I hated...hated Jim Carey in that role. That stupid grin he had the entire time...

12. Larry F

I wonder how this relates to the old claim that odds are that of 30 random people in a room, 2 will share a birthday?

drf64 likes this.
  13. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OK. my take:

On the whole - a very affecting clip- I'm good for an online rental of the final product.
    • A+ Camera work (the camera man dealt with the "natural" light outside the trailer and the studio lighting very well)
    • A+ Lighting
    • A+ Sound
    • A+ Writing
    • A+ Acting and Direction
    • B Editing
    Of course, it's not Robin Williams or Pam Dawber. Robin is dead and Pam is old. Tomorrow Robin will still be dead and Pam will be one day older.

Build it and ship it Jake.

getbent likes this.
  14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

It's the odds of 23 people in a room sharing the same birthday is just over 50%. With 30 people it is just over 70%.

15. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It's not a claim, it's a pretty simple basic probability math problem (that I can't exactly remember...) :)

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought it

17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I think I have this right. The likelihood of one person having a unique birthday is 100%. The likelihood of two people having unique birthdays is 1*(364/365). For three people, it is 1*(364/365)*(363/365). For 4 it is 1*(364/365)*(363/365)*(362/365). Etc. To get the likelihood that they DONT have unique birthdays, it is 1 - (prob all unique). At 23 people, it is 49.3% chance all unique, or 50.7% non all unique.

tfarny and Larry F like this.
  18. Larry F

I was casting about for a better word, but my memory is getting more iffy.

tfarny likes this.
  19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I would go see it. It was a credible job. No one can perfectly mimic another person 100%. I need to see more context to truly judge the performance.

20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Sarah Murphree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.