Spooky Robin Williams & Pam Dawber test scene

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Oct 13, 2021.

  1. nojazzhere

    nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

    Age:
    69
    Posts:
    16,781
    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2017
    Location:
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Not really that weird.....one in 365 1/4 chances. ;)
    Better than the odds of getting struck by lightning.
     
    drf64 likes this.
  2. drf64

    drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

    Age:
    57
    Posts:
    10,476
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    Ada, MI
    popeye was entertaining. And we got to see a reasonably healthy Shelley Duvall before her sad decline.
     
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Matt Sarad likes this.
  3. drf64

    drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

    Age:
    57
    Posts:
    10,476
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    Ada, MI
    my wife shares a birthday with her sister who is 10 years older. My grandson shares a birthday with his father. My daughter shares a birthday with my daughter-in-law.
     
    Larry F and nojazzhere like this.
  4. 3fngrs

    3fngrs Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    4,744
    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2017
    Location:
    Ohio
    He's not bad. A little off, but more than passable. I'd know it wasn't Robin but I could watch him and enjoy his performance in a biopic.

    She's better looking than Pam Dauber. Sexier. She has the voice and the mannerisms down. Actually, I think her Pam Dauber is better than his Robin Williams but he is very good. It's probably harder to really nail someone as eccentric and manic as Robin compared to somebody who seems as normal as Pam.
     
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    17,586
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    Bear with me. I know someone from U. Iowa who was one of 2 composition students as undergrad. He still remains close to him. He teaches at a California university. My colleague told me to say hi to his friend, who was going to the same conference one time. Good guy. When he left, he exited the hall that we were in by walking up some stairs. Suddenly, kerpow and shazam, I was drawn to the way that he seemed to pull his arms back, while pushing his chest forward very slightly. Who else walked that way on occasion? Yeah, my friend from Iowa. I imagined that they both adopted this style as undergrads, when they were close for 4 years.

    I used to see that walk sometimes with super-intelligent, nerdy, slightly cocky guys. They looked to be science and radio club kinds of guys.

    I've seen around a bit, such as Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted's... I don't know how I would describe Reeve's character, but he had the walk, even when standing, if that makes sense.

    The Williams character in the youtube clip goes into and out of this pose at around 3:45.

    I don't know what my point is, but I wonder if others know what I'm talking about. It's fairly unique "pose" if you will. But what does it convey to others?

    Thanks for letting me muse on this look, which I have seen occasionally since high school (1970). I believe there is more than just meets the eye. Psychological characteristic? Influenced by some early adopter? Secret society? Descendants of a common family line?
     
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

    That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    3,474
    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Location:
    Minot
    Nahhh...

    Not the real thing by far.
     
  7. stxrus

    stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

    Age:
    69
    Posts:
    8,570
    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Croix, USVI
    I was impressed. I am a big Robin Williams fan. From this test scene alone I would go see it.
     
  8. 2HBStrat

    2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,994
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2019
    Location:
    Four Rivers Area of Middle America
    Who's the girl?
     
  9. Mad Kiwi

    Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,449
    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    Location:
    Land of the Long White Cloud
    I notice body language and traits like this in types of people as well. I know what you are talking about, but don't know what it translates to. Confidence, compensating for confidence, pushing your public persona forward etc...interesting.
     
    Larry F likes this.
  10. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    17,586
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    ^^^^^This is precisely what I think!
     
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  11. bumnote

    bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

    Age:
    53
    Posts:
    895
    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2018
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    He nails Williams voice and mannerisms. Seriously if they didn't 'alter' his voice...it's an amazing job.

    I hope this is better than "Man in the Moon". I hated...hated Jim Carey in that role. That stupid grin he had the entire time...
     
  12. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    17,586
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    I wonder how this relates to the old claim that odds are that of 30 random people in a room, 2 will share a birthday?
     
    drf64 likes this.
  13. bigbean

    bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    1,792
    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2013
    Location:
    Hartville OH
    OK. my take:

    On the whole - a very affecting clip- I'm good for an online rental of the final product.
    • A+ Camera work (the camera man dealt with the "natural" light outside the trailer and the studio lighting very well)
    • A+ Lighting
    • A+ Sound
    • A+ Writing
    • A+ Acting and Direction
    • B Editing
    Of course, it's not Robin Williams or Pam Dawber. Robin is dead and Pam is old. Tomorrow Robin will still be dead and Pam will be one day older.

    Build it and ship it Jake.
     
    getbent likes this.
  14. etype

    etype Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,892
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Location:
    Dallas
    It's the odds of 23 people in a room sharing the same birthday is just over 50%. With 30 people it is just over 70%.
     
  15. tfarny

    tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,562
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2008
    Location:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It's not a claim, it's a pretty simple basic probability math problem (that I can't exactly remember...) :)
     
  16. Jupiter

    Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    26,794
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    Osaka, Japan
    I bought it
     
  17. etype

    etype Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,892
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Location:
    Dallas
    I think I have this right. The likelihood of one person having a unique birthday is 100%. The likelihood of two people having unique birthdays is 1*(364/365). For three people, it is 1*(364/365)*(363/365). For 4 it is 1*(364/365)*(363/365)*(362/365). Etc. To get the likelihood that they DONT have unique birthdays, it is 1 - (prob all unique). At 23 people, it is 49.3% chance all unique, or 50.7% non all unique.
     
    tfarny and Larry F like this.
  18. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    17,586
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    I was casting about for a better word, but my memory is getting more iffy.
     
    tfarny likes this.
  19. Rockinvet

    Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,869
    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2019
    Location:
    Virginia
    I would go see it. It was a credible job. No one can perfectly mimic another person 100%. I need to see more context to truly judge the performance.
     
  20. haggardfan1

    haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

    Age:
    58
    Posts:
    4,171
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2014
    Location:
    Texas, Louisiana, Texas again
    Sarah Murphree.
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.