Split coil question.

Diytelecaster

Tele-Meister
Good evening all.
I have an epiphone 339 with split coil pickups.
The slug side is on when I split the coil so the two inner are the 'single coils'. If I turn the neck pickup around so the slugs will be nearer the neck. IE under the 24th harmonic, how different would it sound.
Don't want to waste a packet or 2 of strings
DSC_0392.JPG

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
In theory it would be closer to traditional strat placement. It will kill (some) harmonics for that pickup (when split) since the pickup will be under a node.

also, if you loosen the strings a lot, you should be able to manipulate the pickup out without having to waste any strings. Put a towel down on the top of the guitar, Remove the mounting ring screws, maneuver the pickup and ring out, make note of the pickup height in the ring, then remove the pickup mounting screws and flip it around and remount the pickup to the ring, then the ring to the guitar. Then retune and give it a try.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
loosen the strings enough to pull the tail piece off with the strings still in it. Flip the pickup, put tailpiece back on, tighten strings. then try it out, see how it sounds. I doubt it's much different.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Something I started doing is getting two pieces of masking tape and taping the strings together above the nut while its still strung up. Just slide a piece under the strings sticky side up, place a piece over the strings sticky side down and mash the two together. Then when you take the strings off, they stay nice and neat and don't get wrapped up in each other. You can just lay them neatly across the body of the guitar.

As far as the question you actually asked...I don't know how it would sound different, but my OCD would have the outer two coils be the ones that are on in single mode.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Imho, you would do better to rewire the switching so that the adjustable pole coil is active in the single coil mode. That way in addition to having the coils closer to the bridge and the neck one could have balanced string output in both modes….that is, if one were to adjust those polepieces so that they would provide balanced output. As your pickups are now, they act like ‘flat pole’ non-adjustable pickups. That it, the two E’s and the G string are all hotter than the other three strings…with the D string being the weakest. FYI, your bridge is not properly setup either.
Apologies, but I make guitars play well and have a hard time not observing what is evident.

johnDH

Tele-Meister
Ive played with choices of which coil to split to. Slug is more powerful but at the neck the physical position seems to make little difference. Its more significant at the bridge, where if you split, Id suggest to the slug coil furthest from the bridge.

Diytelecaster

Tele-Meister
Imho, you would do better to rewire the switching so that the adjustable pole coil is active in the single coil mode. That way in addition to having the coils closer to the bridge and the neck one could have balanced string output in both modes….that is, if one were to adjust those polepieces so that they would provide balanced output. As your pickups are now, they act like ‘flat pole’ non-adjustable pickups. That it, the two E’s and the G string are all hotter than the other three strings…with the D string being the weakest. FYI, your bridge is not properly setup either.
Apologies, but I make guitars play well and have a hard time not observing what is evident.

What's wrong with the bridge, its intonation is spot on. Its an after market roller saddle one.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
It might be possible to wire the pickups so that you could select which split coil is active, just a thought. I think it will be a subtle difference though.

RedHills

Tele-Meister
Ive played with choices of which coil to split to. Slug is more powerful but at the neck the physical position seems to make little difference. Its more significant at the bridge, where if you split, Id suggest to the slug coil furthest from the bridge.

Exactly my experience with a split SD SN2

Last edited:

Vizcaster

Poster Extraordinaire
It might be possible to wire the pickups so that you could select which split coil is active, just a thought. I think it will be a subtle difference though.

that depends on how many wires are coming off of the pickups. Sometimes they use a cable that just has an extra lead running to the junction between the two coils, and the switch shunts that to ground. Best bet is four-conductor shielded cable from the pickup to the controls but you don't alway have that. Epi I'm afraid is not famous for spending money on cables.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
In theory it would be closer to traditional strat placement. It will kill (some) harmonics for that pickup (when split) since the pickup will be under a node.
Any easily reversible modification is worth a try. And don’t worry about Strat placement and harmonic nodes. In the case of a Strat, that’s only the case for open strings and notes fretted at the 12th fret. The fact that harmonic nodes move with where the string is fretted is why timbre changes up and down the fretboard.