Spitfire Clone Completed

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by justin.ramsey, Dec 17, 2018.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Finally finished my Matchless spitfire Cline I’ve been building for awhile. Started it in the early summer then got super busy playing and haven’t sat down and finished it. Finally buckled down a couple nights recently and finished it up and got it working.

I’ll be honest I’ve never played a matchless to know how it compares but I’m digging it. Very Vox-ish lots of top end bite but a surprising amount of bass too. My buddy built me a super lightweight cab for it for a grab and go little rig for small venues or practices. Waiting on a speaker and a handle for the cab before final assembly

IMG_2185.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2187.JPG

King Fan, jtcnj, robrob and 2 others like this.
  2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Dammit, I thought someone had a reeeally big back yard and a fondness for British warplanes...

3. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Cool! Been thinking about building one of these for a while. Which schematic/layout and transformers did you use?

4. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I used this layout. Transformers are Hammonds I got from AES. They are general ones for 15-18 watt amp. Voltages ended up matching the spitfire schematic pretty closely really.

IMG_2172.JPG

DSharp likes this.
  5. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Looking really good. I hope you’re proud of how it turned out — I definitely would be.

I have been struggling to get my head back into amp building/learning after about two years of modding our new home. This helps. So — THANKS.

6. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Nice work! I've built a couple of these, also using the Hammond transformers. Is that a Hammond chassis also? It looks similar to the aluminum chassis I used for mine. I installed Celestion Greenbacks in my cabs and the amps sound great. I sold one of them to a friend and he gigs with it all the time. Great little amps.

7. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Yep it’s on of the generic Hammond chassis too. All in all a really cheap little amp to build. Much cheaper than the 50 watt stuff I usually build!

flyswatter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.