Speeding in construction zones; Do you speed, or drive the posted limit?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jun 21, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

And it doesn't help that the greasy Cheeto dust all over their fingers causes reduced friction on the steering wheel and increases the chance for slippage.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Having worked on a highway crew I tend to slow down.

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I won't deliberately go over the posted speed in construction zones, especially with holding a class A CDL. Safety issues aside, the fines for doing so are substantial, and getting a speeding violation in a construction zone would likely result in termination of a commercial driving job due to, among other things, your employer's insurance company refusing to cover you.

Toto'sDad and drlucky like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a really really really nice guy, except when a vehicle tries to push me out of my lane.
    Then I become a total asshat!
    At my very worst, that happened in NYC traffic when a taxi wanted my lane as he approached a line of double parked cars in his lane of travel.
    Surprised for a moment as he popped into my view on my left, I moved away from him, but had no lane space on my right.
    So I swerved the three feet or so back into my lane and hit him pretty hard.
    Shoulda seen the look on his face!
    Neither of us bothered to stop, but after that my black car had taxi blood all down the side, which was generally a good thing in traffic.

Toto'sDad, drlucky and drmordo like this.
  5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Over here, when there's roadworks on a motorway with a speed limit, they have cameras that snap your car on entry and exit. Then they do the sums - if you've gone over the limit, expect a fine + points

Ironwolf likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

I have a fear of hitting a person with a vehicle, terrified of hitting a child but afraid of hitting an adult.
    So I do indeed drive the speed limit in those construction zones, if they are actually working at the time.

Some spots where the workers are awfully close to the lane, I go slower than the posted speed.
    Same with 25mph speed zones in neighborhoods with parked cars on both sides.
    Kids are dumb, they run into the street from between parked cars.
    25mph is too fast if a kid runs in front of you a short distance ahead.
    Not willing to risk a life knowing a killed a child.

David C and drlucky like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have spent my entire adult life
    ( since 1976) doing a ton of driving and jobs which entailed a lot of driving, around the Metro DC-area/ NoVa ( drove a million miles BEFORE becoming an Uber driver in 2016)

And I'm almost terrified to get out there now ( backed off Uber, as I have a lot of gigs/miles!)
    - people are driving CRAZY CRAZY now 24/7 and everywhere around here.
    Packs, of really annoying loud and super fast imports, motorcycles, and huge- a** diesel trucks- reckless.
    Literally terrorizing the streets.

This is not a " Get off my lawn!" situation- it's rude and terrible driving at best, OR deadly

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You may very well have something there. It seems to me that kids today think they have the hit replay option in life, and it's not always available.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't play ANY games with other drivers, EVER. Flipping me off is an absolute waste of time. When I drove a diesel truck for a living, if I had a penny for every time I had someone flip me off, I'd be living on a country club golf course.

drlucky likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

To be fair, I always let a truck through. If they have a head of steam, I will put the pedal down so they don't have to slow and let them through. If a truck has his blinker on to change lanes on the highway, I always flash to let them out and just follow. The last thing truckers need is someone holding them up. Butt heads in a pickup or an SUV get the jerk treatment if they start it.

11. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Tele-Meister

Oilfield…. We had it drilled into us everyday, every trip to the well site, drive safe. Taught smiths driving for a few years along the way, to incoming trainees from all over the world, taught myself, by a truck driver originally, emphasis was always on driving within the speed limit and space around the vehicle… it’s just so much more relaxing to watch this pack of speeders bunched together disappearing into the distance and the road space opening up in front and behind…. ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I generally just keep up with traffic when it's a work zone that's clearly only active in the wee hours, but if it's an active work zone I obey the limit. I follow the rules of the road markings to the letter because that's just as good a way to get a moving violation.

Let's start a thread about speeding in school zones. I don't have much appreciation for your average speed trap, nor the cops who occupy them, but I love seeing those school-zone-speeding jerks get pulled over by the bike cops! Why they don't have a standard posting for a cop at every school zone during all active hours is beyond me, they wouldn't need the other traps to keep up on their quotas if they got everyone speeding in where it really counts.

Rowdyman, David C, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup. Of course, this is not all pickup drivers, but I see it all the time. Somehow BMW driver got the bad rap, but they are far from the worst.

Rowdyman, Toto'sDad and Oldsmobum like this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I sometimes drive an hour or two to get places. I will have my cruise set at 5 to 10 over. Like @Toto'sDad says, the construction thing drives me nuts. The other is when I'm in the right lane, cruise on, and someone passes, pulls into the right lane, then drops to the speed limit. Ugh. I leave the cruise on, and pass them. They then speed up, pass me back, and slow down.

I don't think they are being intentionally irritating, I just think they don't understand how to keep a consistent speed; when you look over, it's typically younger people just catting in the car, probably not paying attention to the speed variance. Of course, they have to be first, so...

When this goes on for half an hour, that is just ridiculous.

Rowdyman and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if there are people actually working i slow down, if there aren't i just drive normally. it's usually for such a short distance it doesn't matter. the cops don't give a damn about the workers, they're just trying to make the city money. i'm more than happy to oblige in the name of actual occupational safety, and i do.

besides, moderate speeding is not what kills (why does the autobahn not have an insane accident rate?). slow drivers cause accidents, because they instigate too many lane changes from others, and people are generally pretty terrible at being aware of their surroundings. i had to drive a mini cooper for 5 years, everything was a threat to me in my immediate surroundings (people not seeing my vehicle and turning into me was like a weekly occurrence). i think people think driving is like a video game or something.

at the very least, i trust some OCD bastard like myself driving 10-15mph over the limit than people like my old parents sticking to it, any day.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    buster poser likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

I blame Frito Lay!

And your little dog too!

Toto'sDad and _MementoMori_ like this.
  17. telemnemonics

I'm guessing a lot of human interaction with physical reality is significantly influenced by screen time, whether phone, tablet, home computer, video game or any combo of those personal entertainment realities.

Now (last couple of years) I see toddlers wired up to tablets instead of interacting with the physical world.
    Not to mention entire families on vacation, walking standing or sitting in the expensive destination, with all faces glued to their phones.

Right outta 1984 but worse...

howardlo, Rowdyman and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

There are lots of stupid drivers. Not much more to say.
    In the last two days I've had drivers (surprise, BMW drivers each time) do some incredibly stupid dangerous maneuvers, cutting me off, speeding around me and other cars.

Back when I was working for Ma Bell driving a company vehicle, I had defensive driving drummed into me every year. It made me a better driver.

My dad told me when I first got my license that I should drive as if every other person on the road did not know what they were doing.

Rowdyman, Toto'sDad and drlucky like this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

10 seconds.. more likely to save one or two. The maths of speeding is funny. People break the law for hours to get to a destination less than 5 minutes quicker, but think they are going to save an hour or two.

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Its the tourist season here. Crazy tourists with no idea where they're going. I have seen more people driving on the wrong side of the road here than I ever did in Alabama. Tons of young people driving like idiots...and then the local kids in their enormous (and brand new) pickup trucks modified to where the back sits lower than the front. They call it the "Carolina Squat"...

I cringe having to go out and drive around...but I remember when I was a kid in a loud and obnoxious vehicle. I give 'em a break...sometimes. Other times I'm shaking my fist at the clouds like the rest of the senior drivers I know.

Yes, I drive the speed limit in construction zones. Yes, I've been passed at seemingly light speed by lunatics in the same zones. I universally let them thru...and do like TD, keep my head on a swivel and react as best I can for a given situation.

OMG! I met a pair of teeny-boppers in PetSmart yesterday. They took one look at Rocket (dog) and mobbed him (which he enjoyed thoroughly). First thing I noticed about them was the lack of any cellular device (the way they were dressed, they couldn't have fit more than a credit card anywhere). They were bubbly, courteous, understandable and spoke in complete sentences...well, mostly. :eek: When I left the store, they were still talking (teenage girls, what do you expect?) to each other...out loud...like, having a conversation! OMG! Crazy day!

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.