Speeding in construction zones; Do you speed, or drive the posted limit?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jun 21, 2021.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Speed limit all the time.*

*mostly. Exception being, rarely I'll find myself on open road, no traffic when I'm on my bike. Occasionally, I'll twist the throttle and let 're roll for a little bit. I'm still pretty reasonable though. Maybe 10-15 over? For maybe a mile, depending on conditions.

aging_rocker and drlucky like this.
  2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I would have let him hit me before I drove off the road.

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have recently witnessed TWO expensive European made sports vehicles run red lights at very high speeds not far from where I live out on the surface streets. It was obvious they never had any intention of stopping. I have no idea what kind of mindset is involved in making those kinds of driving decisions.

drlucky likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

I understand that position, but seriously, I knew there was no way that the Toyota hitting a vehicle head on would have not involved me in the wreck too. There were simply more vehicles on that stretch of road than there was room to accommodate them. Believe it or not, I actually am calculating the possibility of the large vehicle hitting me, and I know that his mass, and the mass of my little CRv, I'm going to come out on the short end of the stick, so I evaded being hit. It all worked out, so I can at least THINK I made the right decisions.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sadly, the story goes like this: They made it through that one because they think they are such GOOD drivers.

As they take bigger risks, they think they are even Better Drivers.
    One day, they will end up in a wreck and they will blame the other drivers for their own mistake.

cat dude, drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

you are a good guy and I mean no disrespect.....but it’s truthful and meant as help....YOU messed up

you should’ve slowed down and let the 2 idiots pass you as soon as you realized they were driving unsafe.....

bad selfish drivers are everywhere it’s your job to maintain very comfortable safety standards from them

I have messed up too at times

I try hard to not worry about how long a drive takes and often slow down to account for bad drivers in order to maintain a safe distance at minimum in 2 directions

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

You are probably correct in your assessment, but to be honest, it all happened pretty quickly. I think avoidance is always the best policy. You are correct.

vhilts1 likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Absolutely correct!

Rowdyman and String Tree like this.
  9. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

In Oklahoma the Fines DOUBLE in Construction Zones. Still doesn't deter some idiots but the police do traffic control regularly in the Construction Zones. I guess some folks like giving the State hundreds of dollars.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

things can happen real quick to all of us

I’m glad you are ok

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

It's the same here, they even post signs stating the fines are doubled, doesn't matter, they speed.

12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the state laws. Some only double fines when workers are "present". Some do it full time.

black_doug and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Almost all traffic accidents involve too much speed for conditions/situations contributing to lack of time to react or correct course in some manner

if you start driving slower things get easier and more comfortable

NoTeleBob and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I might drive a few mph faster than the posted construction zone speed limit, like 48 in a 45, but that’s only if no workers are in sight. This virtually guarantees I’ll soon have somebody impatiently tailgating me.

Three days ago I was driving my Mustang 5.0 GT. I don’t get speeding tickets but do tromp it in the lower gears as allowable. I was turning left into a city construction zone where a two lane road was down to one, with a 25 mph limit where it was formerly 40. I saw one car approaching WAY down the road so pulled out and gunned it. I hadn’t even backed off the accelerator when I saw the approaching car about an inch from my rear bumper. I realized he must have been doing at least 50 mph to be on me that fast. The end of the zone has cones but no equipment, work in progress or cops in view so I gunned it to 40 mph. The guy behind me stayed inches away. We reached a stop sign at the end of the construction zone, where I turned right and the guy couldn’t keep up with me in his old Altima. So he pulled up beside me sitting in the left turn lane at the upcoming stoplight, stuck his head out and muttered “learn to drive” before turning right. A young hothead, in a hurry to nowhere, most likely.

It was one of those times when I wished I wasn’t 70 with a severely arthritic right hand that could throw maybe one good punch before breaking. It would hurt a lot but man, I hate guys like that.

Toto'sDad, drlucky and Greg70 like this.
  15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Anyone else notice the worst offenders are almost always full sized pickup trucks?

Tailgating in the right lane, even though you’re going 5 over? Full size pickup. Weaving in and out of heavy traffic to get an extra 3mph? Full size pickup. Driving 110 in the carpool lane? Full size pickup.

I say this even though I own 2 of them! It’s completely insane.

Rowdyman and drlucky like this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Over time others and my kids stopped teasing me about such cautious driving. They never spent the time we did seeing heavy equipment in the mirror was us pulling it, never hauled combustibles, or when I was in college hauled other people's kids. Still, two incidents since having the electronic help stand out - my reaction time milliseconds slow or one where someone cutting close was going so fast it was not pertinent.

The 2022 AEB standard will change this at scale thought I did just read not all the large pickups have AEB. The latter is troubling because of market share and some reports on their involvement in pedestrian deaths.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

Any decision that results in there not being a collision is the right decision to make, regardless of who may have been at fault.

Toto'sDad and vhilts1 like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I always slow down but it bugs me when there’s no one working but the cop with the radar gun. What’s worse is blind traps at night. My wife drove through one in Maryland on the way back from Virginia. Ka-ching. Just a cash box for the locals. There’s a difference between safety and predation on travelers. Camera traps are all through the south. They’re nothing more than Yankee traps with the cameras pointed at the front of the car in states where there are only rear plates. My new car has a warning that pops up on the HUD for known traps. It just cost me $150 for my wife driving through an unknown camera trap. Why raise taxes when the roads are full of motorists?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    NoTeleBob, drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Our street is a pass-through for other neighborhoods. The speed limit is 25; I set my cruise at 27 or 28 mostly. If someone rushes to my back bumper, I will drop the cruise to 23. It's fun to watch them wave madly because I'm holding them up. Then, i let off the gas really early, turn on my blinker to pull into my driveway, and creep over edge and into my drive. Sure, I get flipped off a lot, but it's fun.

If someone approaches fast then backs off, I keep my cruise at 2 or 3 over. No biggie.

Same thing on the highway. If I am in the left lane, passing at 70 in a 65, and someone comes up and leaves space, I may speed up a bit or just keep going, then move over when it is safe. If they ride my bumper, that is a guaranteed slow down to hold them up.

Should I do this? Probably not. But being a person's exit port makes me want to be an exit port right back. If you have some courtesy, I will allow you through.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I blame them video games!
    Kids today grow up to be young adults who keep playing call of duty while jacked up on Red Bull, then get on the highway in their 500hp pickup trucks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.