Speed Shop A12Q vs Weber 12A125A

derekirving

TDPRI Member
Anyone have direct comparision of these two speakers Speed Shop A12Q vs Weber 12A125A idealy in a tweed amp?

I currently have a Victoria Ivy League 12" version with a Weber 12A125A and there are some things that I don't like on the Weber and wanted to see if there's enough difference changing to A12Q.

Weber 12A125A
Likes: Good headroom, Good Volume, Low end/bass holds together (maybe too much also a dislike)

Dislikes: Bright (not treble per say but clanky), congested sounding, wish the low end was a tad looser to help with more 3D sound, tight sounding

I've read a few poeple say 12A125A is polite/smooth and the A12Q is a bit more "marshally". More marshally is not what I'm after, i'm in the 50's Jensen tone (but with out getting a vintage speaker). There are times I think a reissue jensen P12Q is more authentic sounding then 12A125A, knowing the RI Jensen is not a true representation.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I had the same Weber speaker. I ordered it without dope and did that part myself.
I played through it really loud for a good 6 hours before it broke in and started to behave nicely. Among the very best speakers I have ever played through.

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire
I have the Weber speaker in ? I think it is the perfect one for a tweed amp. It is bright, but I think that is a good thing. Tweed amps are mid focused & it just cuts.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
The Speed Shop speaker is more like a 12A125-S than the 12A125-A you have. In fact it looks the same to me, maybe because they’re built by Weber. Pulp cone (my fave) vs seamed paper cone. I’ve used both versions of the Weber speaker and prefer the pulp cone. Not as bright, not as flubby.

If you’re looking for more breakup, maybe take a look at the Weber 12A125-O with a smooth cone.

gabasa

Tele-Afflicted
Another difference is that the Weber 12A125S and the Speed Shop A12Q are readily available right now.

The cone that Weber uses for their 12A125A (same as in their 12A150A and 12A100T) is not available due to supplier issues. I'm sure that they're working hard to sort this out, but for the time being, the best you can do for a new 12A125A is to get onto their wait list.

The "S" version is a pulp cone, so warmer.

cobaltu

Tele-Meister
A12Q is a bit more "marshally"
I think this is a bit "pigeon hole"y. The A12q has a pulp cone so it is a bit more in that direction, but it doesn't sound like a greenback.

I have the A12q (5e3) but not the 12a125a. But I have heard a lot of demos of the latter.

The 12a125a is a thin cone speaker so it has crisper/drier texture as well as a more diffused/cushioned attack. This is almost always my problem with thin cone speakers. They have an articulation I like, but they always sound a bit fuddy-duddy on transients. I think this is why people like them, they tend to be a bit more forgiving. Funnily enough though, I only have this problem with larger thin cones like 12"s and 15"s, smaller ones like 10"s don't really bug me.
Also, I tend to not like them in tweed amps. They do indeed sound more open and articulate - two things tweeds can lack - but they miss that mid-forward attack and texture that I think is a huge part of the tweed sound. Of course, this is just MY opinion.

The A12q is texturally very different. It is much more forward in it's attack and mids, and it has a sort of woodsy *scuff*, especially on transients. You might think that this speaker might be a bit too much "coals to Newcastle" in a tweed amp - and it is indeed kinda "doubling down" - but I find that it suits the tweed character very well. It slices through mixes surprisingly well too.
If your looking for and authentic 50s Jensen tone, this definitely does it.

gabasa

Tele-Afflicted
Wouldn't the A12Q (as well as the 12A125S) be authentically an early '60s Jensen tone? When did they start using pulp cones?

Fwiw, I'm building a 1x12 tweed Champ for someone and am considering a 12A125A, perhaps the thinner cone will compliment the 5W amp well.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The Eminence ALK 1028 works in any amp I have used it. Good lows, handles midrange very well, does gain very well without high end harshness.

gabasa

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone have direct comparision of these two speakers Speed Shop A12Q vs Weber 12A125A idealy in a tweed amp?

I currently have a Victoria Ivy League 12" version with a Weber 12A125A and there are some things that I don't like on the Weber and wanted to see if there's enough difference changing to A12Q.

Weber 12A125A
Likes: Good headroom, Good Volume, Low end/bass holds together (maybe too much also a dislike)

Dislikes: Bright (not treble per say but clanky), congested sounding, wish the low end was a tad looser to help with more 3D sound, tight sounding

I've read a few poeple say 12A125A is polite/smooth and the A12Q is a bit more "marshally". More marshally is not what I'm after, i'm in the 50's Jensen tone (but with out getting a vintage speaker). There are times I think a reissue jensen P12Q is more authentic sounding then 12A125A, knowing the RI Jensen is not a true representation.
If it helps, I have a 1x12 Harvard that I built, which is pretty much the same as your Ivy League, and I’ve tried a lot of speakers through it because it’s finicky with speaker selection.

When I tried the 12A125A I found it too bright and was always setting the tone knob very low. After trying seven different speakers, the one that put the biggest smile on my face was the Weber 12A125S. This is a pulp cone speaker and similar to the Speed Shop A12Q.

Many speakers that sound great to me in a tweed Deluxe or Champ, (such as Jupiter’s 12LA-P) don’t match up well with a Harvard.

derekirving

TDPRI Member
If it helps, I have a 1x12 Harvard that I built, which is pretty much the same as your Ivy League, and I’ve tried a lot of speakers through it because it’s finicky with speaker selection.

When I tried the 12A125A I found it too bright and was always setting the tone knob very low. After trying seven different speakers, the one that put the biggest smile on my face was the Weber 12A125S. This is a pulp cone speaker and similar to the Speed Shop A12Q.

Many speakers that sound great to me in a tweed Deluxe or Champ, (such as Jupiter’s 12LA-P) don’t match up well with a Harvard.
I ended up loving the A12Q in my Harvard (Victoria Ivy League)