1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speed necks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Ha! At one point I thought he was going to perform on the parallel bars or pull an Iron Cross on the rings...

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was watching a Richard Thompson video recently and noticed a container of baby powder on his amp. I've read that he used it on his hands. Only it had a custom label that read "Dirty Dick's Enhancement Powder." So that's his secret!

3. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Larry,

Benchrest shooters use anti-perspirant on their bags so the rifle will slide easily. Perhaps some on your hands?

I believe the Sauve spray baby powder formula is pretty popular.......

4. Bees_Knees

Bees_Knees Tele-Meister

+1

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm all ears. Can you guide me through what you do?

6. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

The maple neck on my main guitar has been stripped too. A luthier did it for me and I love it.

7. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Trust me, it's the answer.

But apparently not, judging by the overwhelming response to my earlier post. However, (trying to cut down on my use of the word "but") if one wanted to try that route I think that Chinese exercise balls or those gyroscopic driven exercise balls would give a good workout to the muscles that are used in fretting. Better than the typical squeeze type exerciser.

The ever popular 80s wrist sweatband would at least keep any arm perspiration from adding to the problem. Hey I wore them in the 80s when playing my Ibanez Futura with Washburn Wonderbar.

Attached Files:

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I steel wooled the entire finish off the back of neck, all the way down to the wood. The neck doesn't get sticky at all, but if I get sweaty hands I will use a dash of baby powder - but only in the palm and thumb, never on the 4 fingers that touch the strings.

I'm kind of weird about that. I don't like brand new fresh strings because my fingers slide off doing bends. After I've played them once or twice there's just enough stuff (corrosion, oxidation, whatever) to provide some "bite" for my fingers to grab on to. Baby poweder on my fingers has the same effect.

If you do the steel wool thing, cover your pickups first. The small metal dust from the steel wool will be attracted to the magnets.

Cheers,
    Doug

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Corn starch also works .
    A totally smooth neck combined with a wet palm will work like a suction cup .

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I swear by the eat some good greasy fried chicken before you play method.

11. GoodCleanFun

GoodCleanFun Tele-Meister

just scuff the back of the neck with some 600 grit then rub it out with some 0000 steel wool. Takes about 10 minutes, the neck is still protected under a finish, just that finish is a lot smoother and easier on the hands. After a 2 hour show it's a great benefit to not have a sticky neck.

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Snail Snot is even slicker... :D

I get the same problem all the time here in FLA, I usually keep a towel handy, and wipe down both my hands and the neck between tunes... I usually don't put anything on the strings or the neck, since I tend to do some overbends (up to a major 3rd!) and need all the grip you can get...

And really, Kung-Fu grip is NOT what you need... a more Zen-like approach will bring you the tranquility and smoothness you seek... :zen:

Franc Robert

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I know, I'm being a smartass but the point I'm trying to make is that having strength in excess of the task being performed can help you to relax. Whereas a weaker grip can lead to using more effort than is necessary. That very well might not help the OP with his problem, which is a problem that I don't personally have, so I don't know.

Now, I do have a tendency to use the old death grip and have found that I naturally relax more when my hands, forearms, and wrists are stronger from doing such things as playing congas a lot or other exercises. So it's a good reminder for me and maybe someone else will find it useful.

14. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Just as stated above, take the neck down to a matte finish.
    I've done several necks in tru oil and for me they hardly sweat your hand at all.FWIW

15. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

I have the same problem and this thread has been interesting. My buddy says I probably have acidic sweat. He knew a guy like that and he went through strings really fast, as do I. I'm seriously thinking about sanding my neck down now. What about chemical strippers? Probably not good, just thinkin'.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Chemical strippers are pretty rough stuff, very toxic by skin contact and vapor. Scotchbrite is probably the best way.

If it was mine, I'd leave some finish. Just sand it enough to cut the gloss. Moisture on bare wood invites warping.

17. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I tried antiperspirant deodorant on my hands once. Worked really well

18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

+1

No need to totally kill the finish altogether, not mentioning the amount of elbow grease needed to do that.

Satin finish = bare wood, for the most part IMO. If you're perspiring heavily, the last thin you need is to wrap your sweaty paw around a raw hunk of wood.

19. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

FWIW, I've had my neck sanded down to bare wood for probably 30+ years, no problems yet...

Cheers,
    Doug

20. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Baby powder here also...but it does tend to bunch up next to the frets.

I may try Arid Extra Dry on my palms next time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.