Specs on the P-90s in the el cheapo Epi P-90 LP Specials???

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Any info out there. I think they made some SGs in the same price range that had the same p'ups.

Thanks, in advance.

IronSchef

Tele-Afflicted
Here is what Epiphone has to say about them.

The new Epiphone P-90 PRO single coil pickup is made with 18% Nickel Silver covers and has been designed and tooled from the ground up with new bobbins manufactured to historic dimensions, Elektrisola magnet wire, sand cast Alnico V magnets, and pole shoes manufactured using correct alloys and to Gibson's original dimensions. And for you sticklers to detail, the new Epiphone P-90 PRO™ pickups also have tin plated brass base plates like used on 50's and 60's era Gibson P-90 pickups.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
It's varied between vintage wound (7k to 8k) and super hot (14k) over the years. I'd guess it's almost like what was in the parts container during a particular run unless the end customer, like Guitar Center, specified it.

Mine, purchased from GC in 1998, has the vintage wind and sounds really good. I've got a few others I've obtained used or in exchange for doing a pickup swap for someone and they've been the hot ones. While I didn't like them in their original Epiphone, some of them did really well in cigar box style guitars, like this 3 stringer.

20220524_144115.jpg

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
With the bolt-neck Special, I never measured the resistance of mine, but they were wax potted and Epi has stated that they're alnico magnet, but didn't specify the type.

We can assume are not P-90 Pro, as Epi wouldn't put their best pickups in a $100 guitar. I'd hesitate to assume they're the same as any other Epi P-90, as their P-90s have varied so much across different models. IMO most have been overwound and don't have the clarity they need.

IMO the one's in the bolt-neck Special sounded like good and proper P-90s.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Here is what Epiphone has to say about them.

The new Epiphone P-90 PRO single coil pickup is made with 18% Nickel Silver covers and has been designed and tooled from the ground up with new bobbins manufactured to historic dimensions, Elektrisola magnet wire, sand cast Alnico V magnets, and pole shoes manufactured using correct alloys and to Gibson's original dimensions. And for you sticklers to detail, the new Epiphone P-90 PRO™ pickups also have tin plated brass base plates like used on 50's and 60's era Gibson P-90 pickups.
Thanks, but those are a different set.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
On a related note: Anyone know what the fretboard wood is on these? I may be crazy, but I swear mine looks like actual rosewood (Made in 2017).

1653434229465.png