1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Special Wiring for Split Coil Humbucker PLUS a P/P?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, Aug 21, 2013.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Hey all. While not necessarily a strictly tele question, I'm working on a unique project with a buddy. The body has one pickup cavity (hum size) and is rear-routed (with really just enough space in the rout for 1 pot, but I think I can squeeze a switch in there too. I've looked everywhere online, but I can't find a diagram for this:

A. 1 Humbucker
    B. Push/Pull pot used for Vol (when in normal position)/Tone (when pulled up)
    C. Split coil via SPST or DPDT (I'd really only want 2 options (humbucker, and neck-facing coil of humbucker))

I have found lots of diagrams for the P/P setup, and lots of diagrams for the split coil switch. I would assume the setup I'm looking for is possible.. but I'm a much better at playing guitar than I am at wiring and figuring out signal flow. Most of the stuff I've made ends up working, but I don't usually understand exactly HOW they end up working. :D Any diagrams or advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Start here for wiring tips and 101.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-4000.html

After you go through those maybe you can figure it out.

I'm kind of scratching my head and thinking maybe it can't be done. A normal push-pull pot is made of two components that are combined into one. A switch, and a pot.

I'm having a hard time thinking about how you could wire a single pot to do two totally different things. I guess if you have enough poles on the switch it might be possible.

In one switch position, the hot from the pickup goes through the switch to the pot. The other terminal on the pot goes through another terminal on the switch to the jack tip-- hence you have a volume control.

In the other push-pull position, the hot from the pickup still goes through the switch to the pot. But now a lead goes from that same terminal on the pot through the switch to the jack tip; and a lead goes from the other terminal on the pot through the switch and then through a 0.022 or 0.047 cap to ground. So now it's a tone knob.

The coil splitting is the easy part-- and the Stewmac primer explains how you can either bypass one coil or the other.

Even if you could do it, I can't imagine wanting a guitar with no volume knob and just a tone knob.

3. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Thanks Chris, I'll read that article. Also, maybe I did a bad job of explaining how I want it to work in the end... I plan on using the push/pull AND an additional switch. I'm hoping to do tone/vol via the push/pull and then using a second switch for coil splitting.

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

You can't use a push/pull to make one pot function as both tone and volume. You could go with a dual concentric pot, but even if you tried to put the tone and volume on one push pull, as soon as you pull up (or push down) you would completely cut the other function out. In order to control two things like vol and tone, you need two wafers, and a push pull pot only has one. A dual concentric has two.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

What RipThorn said-- you can't get tone AND volume unless you have two pots, concentric is fine. I was talking about getting tone OR volume from the same pot, which would be weird IMO, but probably possible. Like I said, coil switching is the easy part with any simple switch.

Now, if you wire it up as just a volume knob, in a sense it's also somewhat of a tone knob. Without a treble bypass circuit you typically get a roll-off of treble along with the roll off in tone.

The other thing to think about is that the single coil mode should be a fair bit brighter than humbucker mode. You could have a volume knob plus a single/humbucker coil splitter all run by a single push pull pot and that might be all the tone modulation needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.