Special help request to all tele players

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tenderfoot, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Need help solving the following:

I get a faint ringing sound when playing an open D string on any of my Telecasters (64 AVRI, Whitfill T-Style). It is more pronounced when amplified through any of my amps (Tone King Imperial, Blues Jr. III). I do not believe it’s my hearing and my best guess is that it is normal for Telecaster guitars to resonate, in varying degrees of detectable hearing, when an open D string is played. I find that the harder I pick the string the louder and longer the ringing.

If you have the time and wouldn’t mind, I would appreciate it if you would see if your Telecaster has a ringing sound (plugged or unplugged from an amp) when playing an open D string and provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Tenderfoot

2. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried deadening the strings behind the nut?

3. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I had that issue on a Strat. The string was vibrating between the nut and tuning peg. I had to put a second string tree on and it stopped it.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

not hearing it on any of mine?....

you mean that sitar type sound?..... more often on b/e strings...

are all your saddle height screws hard down on the bridge plate?... the bridge screws tight into the body?

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks, Chritty. Yes I tried the behind the nut fix but it did not stop the ringing on either the 64 AVRI or Whitfill T-Style.

6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks, reckless meanie. That was recommended by a tech at my local Guitar Center and might end up being the fix but that would mean both guitars needed additional string trees. The 64 AVRI I could somewhat understand and accept but the Whitfill? I don't feel a $3K (US) guitar should require a second string tree (we will see). Cheers!

7. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks, trev333. No it is not a sitar sound but a post harmonic ringing. All the height adjustment screws on both guitars are firmly against the bridge plate (also check all other sources of vibration and nothing found).

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, another string tree, or stuffing a piece of foam under strings behind the nut will solve that, if it bothers you that much. I use the foam thing on a couple of acoustics that ring behind the nut.

9. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

Do they both have the same brand and size of string? I seem to have this same problem on my Martin D-28 when I string it with lights or different brands other than my favorite 80/20 Medium SP's. The D string just rings louder and has a terrible quack to it when I play on open D chord. After trying these other suggestions, change your strings, try heavier strings or just a new brand might help.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I once had some ringing and finally figured it out: it was glass on the chandelier vibrating to the amp!

11. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If damping behind the but didn't work have you tried damping them at the bridge? The '64 has the threaded saddles and you may have a string riding funny on the edge of a thread or against an adjustment screw. Not sure what the Whitfill has for a bridge. Some strings also have a long wrap at the ball end that can touch parts of the bridge and not let a string settle fully, which could be another possibility especially if you have the same brand on both guitars.

12. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

While it is turned up in an amp try tapping it all over with something like your knuckle or the eraser end of a pencil. Tap every piece of metal especially, all over the guitar, especially around the pickups and bridge. Tap every single separate part of the thing including the tuners. Tap the pickups and their mounts. If you hear the ring when you tap the pickups, take out the pickups to figure out if it is the pickup, the pickup adjusting springs, or the metal plate under the bridge pickup. You can tap the pickups while they are out of the guitar but still hooked to the amp. If you didn't find it yet, tap harder.
    How do you know it is not an amp problem? Microphonic tubes can do the same thing.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I assume you're being serious so I'll chime in (pardon the pun) too - I kept blaming tubes (bad preamp, bad power) in one amp until I realized it was making the nearby piece of metal resonate/vibrate . . .

14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Found the Problem!

First of all thanks to all that took the time to read my Thread and a special Thanks to those who provided suggestions. After String Changes, Tube Tapping, Foam Behind Nut, etc. it turns out that the problem was my bridge pickup(s). All the guitars have staggered bridge pickups with raised "D" poles; on the 64 AVRI it was very close to the D string when the pickup was adjusted for the E to E string height setting. The Whitfill "D" pole was also close but not as close as the 64 AVRI.

I installed a set of Don Mare ST. Bakersfield pickups that I had from a couple of years back and this fixed the problem! Why? The Mare bridge pickup "D" pole in just slightly half the height of the 64 AVRI and maybe 1/3rd that of the Whitfill - with the "D" pole much farther away from the D string, whatever magnetic influence that was causing the harmonic ringing apparently was no longer a factor and thus no more ringing was to be heard.

I can only conclude that my hearing is very sensitive to an open "D" string frequency when it is subject to a stronger magnetic field created by raised "D" pickup poles.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tenderfoot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.