1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spec. Perfect You / Never to be without Effect Pedals.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by arlum, Mar 3, 2021.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Explanation of Weird Title.

Younger players new to the game may want to wait this one out. Not that they have to. If they've already found an effect pedal that meets the criteria go right ahead and join in.

Most long term guitarists who like to use effect pedals, over time, come to recognize specific models by specific brand they would never want to be without. This doesn't mean they won't have other examples of that effect they use now and then. It just means they've found one they would never have unavailable to them. A true must have fully working in good condition example that's always ready to be utilized.

Whether you own 5 pedals or 50 pedals ..... if someone offered you a lifetime supply of a specific effect type, in a specific version / incarnation made by a specific brand or builder that you already currently own and never want to be without, (because what it does is integral to your own special tone or whatever), what would you ask for a lifetime supply of? I know many guitarists who own pedals they would never want to be without. Eric Johnson's specific Fuzz Face version he's used forever. During his short life Jimi's reliance on his specific univibe. David Gilmour's need for the availability of a specific Binson Echorec.

Is their a Chorus effect lover out there who's found the exact chorus pedal they would never want to be without? A Flanger or Phaser user who's found his personal best of the best? A guitarist who relies on a specific effect pedals Smooth Gain or Crunch for their personal rhythm or lead gain tone? God's gift to you in the form of a Wah WAh, Harmonizer, Octave, Tremolo, Vibrato, Reverb, Delay / Echo, etc., etc..

If you've experimented enough and played enough and gone through X number of effect pedal examples to have found the one that you cannot imagine not having on your pedal board ....... What is it? What would you ask for a lifetime supply of?

If you have more than one effect type you've settled on go ahead and list them. I'm personally set on a handful I would never want to go without but I've been playing for 60 years come October of 2021. That's why I mentioned the young players up front. There's still a lot in their future that I could ever imagine. Then again ..... if you think you're set ..... list them.

2. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I probably have not had either of these longer to commit, but of all the pedals that have gone across my board, here are two that I would not want to change:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just about the perfect wah and perfect compressor for me.

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have been using a tube screamer and an ibanez stereo chorus since the first day I found them. Broke my TS about ten years ago and tried a couple of other drive pedals. I liked them okay but I came back. Still rotate a few other drives on and off the board but the TS stays.
    The only chorus that I like better than the Ibanez is a Motion Sound SRV 112 cab.

4. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

MXR Phase 90, the fancy script version with the LED and external power. It's been so good to me, I don't have any other modulation effects on my board. I've eliminated all the fluff from by pedal collection over the years, and those that remain are all great devices with a distinct purpose. I go Tuner>Boss SD-1>MXR Phaser>Ethos Clean

[​IMG]

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s non-negotiable that I have a killer clean boost, and a non-transparent OD. I’m not going to say it absolutely has to be one brand and model. I’ve tried a lot that I like and there are many that work just fine for me. Currently I’m using a TC Spark mini for clean boost, and I like it better than every other clean boost I’ve ever used. That’s not to say I won’t find one some day that I like better still. Second place would go to the BBE Boosta Grande.

As for OD? I’m not that picky. I love the SD1, but I also love a TS9. Pretty much any quality pedal in that vein will probably work fine for me.

Those are the only two pedals I can actually say I “need” to do what I do. After that, I’d go with a comp. Something with a mix knob.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I’m going through a re-pedaling phase right now, so it might be the wrong time to say, but the one thing that hasn’t moved an inch is my Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo. For me, trem is an “almost always on” kind of thing. My favourite trem was the one in my Peavey DB 210 amp, but that’s sold. I couldn’t justify keeping a big amp I didn’t need just for the trem. I didn’t try too many trem pedals, because I found the Dano and it just sounded right. I’m hoping some of my new additions fit the “never-to-be-without” description, because I really don’t want to go down too many rabbit holes. (I only play for my own satisfaction, so I don’t have to care what anyone else thinks of my tone.)

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Timmy for sure. Just for that semi-clean transparent overdrive. The Boss BD-2 is close, but nothing works as well as a Timmy for that.

I'm with @Jakedog on a solid clean boost also. The Spark Mini is perfect. It is the ultimate no-nonsense boost, and it's tiny.

Since you mentioned chorus, I've got an old Boss CE-2. It's a great sounding pedal, and if I were a chorus guy, it would certainly be on my board.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

MXR Microamp... had one decades and the only pedal I have ever replaced with the exact same.

Just essential for live use... volume lift, push an amp or pedal into crunch distortion, match pickups, stick it in fx loop to add the loud, and the big rubber knob lets me adjust it with the side of my foot mid song/gig. Versatile tool.

i use it a lot with my 3 channel mesa as it essentially doubles the channels to 6.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I mean it's pretty hard to kill a Phase 90...so if you have two of them you are probably set for life...

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I have to have a Rat an EP-3 style delay and a good digital hall or plate verb.

11. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Thank you for the replies.

It may not be the most often used effect on my board but it's never left the board since it's purchase a very long time ago. This is an Analogman Mini-Chorus with the fixed deep setting and the added sundial knob center top. I own a couple of other choruses that were purchased as a possible upgrade but neither lasted more than a few days on the board. In this instance I found that, for my personal use,
    the Analogman Mini-Chorus is a true must have. As long as a chorus is on my board, probably forever, this will be the one.

My other there for life pedal effect is the Mad Professor Hand-Wired Tiny Orange Phaser. I grew up at a time when Phasing and Flanging were the icing on the cake for many of my favorite tunes and over the years I've incorporated them into my personal sound. I'm still searching for the perfect Flanger, (I currently use an A/DA but another new option arrived a few days ago), but my Phaser search ended years ago with the purchase of my MP Tiny Orange Phaser.

12. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

It's easy to go down that rabbit hole....This a hand made one. Its amazing and the blues crab next to is just as amazing.

Attached Files:

• klon.jpg
      klon.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
  13. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Still trying to parse the thread title...

Boss DM-2w

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Clean boost, overdrive, trem and delay.

I can do without any/all these things, but I'm most comfortable if I've got them all at my disposal

15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I am most comfortable with some gentle compression in my signal path. My compression arsenal is going to be a big old snooze fest for pedal maniacs: a pawnshop DOD FX82 bass compressor, an Ibanez CP-5 Soundtank someone gave me and, more recently, the compressor in my Zoom B2, which is a little aggressive some of the time. But I object to the dynamic feel and step adjustment more than the actual sound and generally opt to use it rather than add one more thing inline.

For several years an always-on Pro Co Rat 2 was a core element of my thing. I was quite happy with it, but my approach started skewing lower gain/cleaner and eventually I sold it. I still like that sound, but not enough to regret selling it or to search out a replacement. It suited a particular band I was in to a T for awhile though.

16. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

TC Spark Mini Boost. It's a boring little one-knob make-you-louder box, just exactly what I need for the job I need it for.

17. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

The original Barber Direct Drive and the Reverend Drivetrain II.

18. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

No, none I couldn't live without. I like to have a trem, delay, and midrangey overdrive like OCD. On almost every electric gig I have either a Prince of Tone or OCD. The rest vary depending on the situation.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine not having trem available. In terms of personal preference, I'd never turn it off, but I realize it doesn't work on some songs. It can be in the amp or I can use a pedal, but I don't think I'll ever buy an amp without trem again. I've got the Boss TR-2. While I could imagine having a different trem pedal, I don't know why I'd bother. This one works great.

Every other effect is negotiable depending on (1) what guitar I'm playing through what amp; and (2) the set list.

20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

None for me so far. I'm probably better off just plugging straight into an amp, maybe with a boost. I'm just exploring the world of pedals recently to see if anything sticks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.