Speaking of the Doors, a short list

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I really loved the Doors as a kid. Almost too much. I don't think about them much in terms of songs I play. I do think about them as a band hampered by a self destructive frontman, with a weird career cycle that nobody would choose to emulate.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

The Spy
    Crystal Ship
    Indian Summer
    Maggie M'Gill
    Blue Sunday
    Wintertime Love
    Land Ho
    Love Street
    ...on and on

FenderLover likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The Doors are still to this day very influential on my musical tastes. I've long been attracted to bands that get the "most" out of the "fewest".(players) The role of Ray Manzarek cannot be over-emphasized. How he was able to play the organ, left hand bass, AND add vocal harmonies baffles me. And, while most people, when you mention The Doors, immediately think of Morrison and his lyrics, or (as Manzarek himself said) the "cheesy" organ sound, I think of those left hand bass lines as the most iconic thing in early Doors' recordings. Supposedly, Douglass Lubahn or Larry Knechtel played bass on early records, although they generally simply played Ray's Rhodes Keyboard Bass lines.
    So I think The Doors' music holds up VERY well today. (in spite of Morrison's often pretentious lyrics) I still perform several Doors songs, (particularly Light My Fire and Love Me Two Times) and they never fail to be crowd pleasers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Let's not forget Peace Frog.

Sax-son, AAT65 and Sgtpepper89 like this.
  6. Digital Larry

I was in Safeway last year and a bunch of people including me stuffed into the elevator. As I was nearest the button panel, I asked "is everybody in"? Another guy in the car said "the ceremony is about to begin". I think everyone else was a little freaked out for the 37 seconds it took for us to get to the parking level.

7. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

"Soul Kitchen" was one of theirs that I really liked that I don't see already mentioned.

Many Doors purists don't like it, but I think "Touch Me" is an amazingly good song.

Slip Kid and nojazzhere like this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

taking a second or third look after decades, The levels of distort and grit was possible well ahead of the curve. The power of the trio certainly is apparent alot of it seems to be because of the arrangement , the interlacing of each players parts creating a back ground of power for Mr Morrison's vocal, today I say he had a really great sounding voice phrasing , dynamics and emotional impact while delivering his heady poetry. ( "I can do anything I am the lizard king" or chanting "ride the snake, ride the snake,) and yet that pretty much describes the his visceral sexual energy, At the time all the women I knew though he was hot , a 10 if you will.

10. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

The young lizard king..

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Digital Larry

Did you hear X's version of Soul Kitchen? Might be a bit of a shock. Also recently, much less shocking, heard a mix of "Touch Me" that left off all the sax and violins. Pun partially intended.

Rick330man likes this.
  12. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Agree with all you say and regarding the quote above, I would add that Manzarek could do more than harmonies, I thought he was also a pretty fine lead singer for the time when he took on the role after Jim Morrison died.

https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=Otkw2uCVEaE

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Ray produced the first few X records. He plays on them, too. Pretty cool!

Sax-son and Digital Larry like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Grace Slick told a story of a time The Doors and Jefferson Airplane were on tour in Europe. Morrison was WAY under the "influence" of various substances, and Grace doubted he would be able to perform one evening. She was in their dressing room, and could hear The Doors begin their set. She was making her way to the stage, and everything sounded just fine....vocals and all. She got to the side/backstage wings, and Manzarek was playing organ, Fender Rhodes, AND singing lead. She said he sounded JUST LIKE Morrison.

alnico357 likes this.
  15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Some bands have a dominate personality and the other members. The Doors had 4 dominate musicians/poets. Without any of them The Doors would not have been The Doors.

slauson slim and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

When I turned 10 in 1968, my older sister ( by 7 years) gave me two life changing records for my Birthday:

Cream ( 'The Cream' in England!) -
    Disraeli Gears
    The Doors- Strange Days- " When The Music's Over" scared the hell out of me- powerful aggressive, loved it!
    I played them on my parents tube Grundig console

Anecdote: I had like only 4-5 other albums, later some 45's and eventually, a $25 Sears ,red & white checkered suitcase phonograph ( the exact same one Austin Powers tries to play a CD on!)
    Loved ( love) listening to my records!

nojazzhere and Digital Larry like this.
  17. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

We play People Are Strange, Roadhouse Blues and Peace Frog at almost every show.
    Everyone knows the first two, the third is (a) fun (b) a little bit of a challenge to learn - definitely some drug-influenced bar-counting going on! - and (c) a great funky rocker. And we segue into Smells Like Teen Spirit rather than Blue Sunday...

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Even though everybody plays Roadhouse blues I'm guilty. Big call for Riders on the Storm. Used to play Soul Kitchen, Break on Through, Doors version of Backdoor Man, and after Morrison from Other Voices, Verdilac, and from Full Circle, the Doors version of Good Rockin'

19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

20. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Those records he produced for X are my favorites by them.

smartsoul72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.