Speaking of plumbing … I have failed.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Obsessed, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, admittedly self taught, but I have plumbed an outdoor waterfall, a cabin, a house, 1920s clawfoot bathtub, 1920 sink, a 1930s sink, two new bathroom sinks and two complete install toilets. I’ve done over 400 copper solder joints, about two miles worth of PVC, proper septic line and two structures of waste venting. I even performed an emergency reconnection of the main water line to my bosses house after the Loma Prieta earthquake decades ago. Not bragging, but I thought I was pretty good at this stuff.

We have installed the kitchen into the new house with a double style, fireclay “Farmers” sink. It is the first double sink and the first using the light white plastic instead of metal for the drain trap under the sink for me. Three weeks of :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: darn leaks and I have given up. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: I went plastic because it was all I could find during the ****ing lockdown. After all, this is not rocket science. I finally found the metal equivalents of all of the parts online to order. Yes, I designed and built my own hydro plant that has been running for over two decades without a glitch. I love to design and build just about everything from hot rods to solar batch water heaters, but this stupid sink has made me throw in the towel. Coming off of two agonizingly painful weeks with a broken tooth that festered into a dying nerve requiring a root canal and awaiting a crown while eating soft soggy food has not helped the situation either. I was probably gritting my teeth too much fixing one leak after another under the sink.:(

I hate plastic and that was my specialty during my career. When people ask me what I did, I always answer by saying, “I designed long term landfill”.

Okay, just venting. Thanks for listening.

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You need a can of Flexseal spray.

unixfish, NoTeleBob, getbent and 3 others like this.
  3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I’m with you. I always put a catch pan under new plastic drain piping. I’ve come to expect it to drip for a week or so until whatever crap is in our water here in Cali seals it up.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Obsessed

What is that?

5. Obsessed

I was hoping for something like that to happen on the third week, but our spring water has such few metals or minerals, I have lost hope.

RobRiggs likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Obsessed likes this.
  7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You're talking about the telescoping stub tube from the sink strainer?

If so...do you have the Nylon compression gasket oriented the correct way? Many folks install it in the slip coupling upside down and the connection leaks.

Look here; see on the right side--the part labeled 'B or C' is the Nylon compression gasket.

It's V-shaped in cross section, and the flat side installs against the threaded collar (the part labeled A) above it.

[​IMG]

9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

The secret to installing a PVC drain and tailpiece is to use plumber's putty under the flange (top side), a rubber washer (bottom side) and a slip washer (usually paper) between the locknut and flange gasket. Without the slip washer, the locknut will pinch the rubber gasket and leak. As Peegoo mentioned, Aa lot of people put the O ring in backwards and get leaks.

hnryclay, CharlieO, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
  10. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I really really don't like to do plumbing:(

jays0n likes this.
  11. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I once spent two long, winters' evenings, crawling around on a concrete floor, fixing someone's appalling 1970s plumbing abomination. Had to destroy five kitchen units, to get to the (multiple) problems. Ended up, not only with swollen knees but swollen hips. Who gets swollen hips? :mad:

I literally, feel your pain. :oops:

electrichead and Obsessed like this.
  12. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

I've plumbed 100's and 100's of vanity and kitchen sinks with PVC P-trap kits, extension tubes, wall bends(tail pieces), popups and kitchen sink basin drain assemblies. I prefer PVC over chrome plated brass ANYTIME. CPB will corrode and WILL leak over time and usually will be impossible to service as the compression nuts will seize and the wall lining of the pipes will fail. PVC never breaks down/fails unless hot grease is poured down the drain.

You probably plumbed it in incorrectly and I suspect that the nylon washers are installed with the fluted flange side pointed in the wrong direction as Peegoo has suggested. Also pay attention to the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" nylon washer adapters for popups if the balance of you pipes are 1 1/2" from the popup. Follow the instructions on the kit bag and you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

You haven't failed until you give up

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Obsessed, with all that you’ve done in the past there’s no way you can’t get the PVC trap to work. When I’ve helped others with leaks it’s been because they put the washer in wrong, secretly misaligned something or overtightened the fitting. I’ve done a quite a bit of plumbing but hardly any copper, and those sink trap kits do work.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    telemnemonics and getbent like this.
  15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

With the plastic stuff, I assumed that you don't need teflon tape. One I started using it, things got a lot better.

Just finished rehabbing 2 condos and did the following plumbing jobs:

Replaced a pedestal sink an all supply/drain lines
    Replaced faucet and supply lines in one bathroom
    Replaced the tank bolts in 2 toilets
    Replaced the drain lines in a double kitchen sink
    Installed a new kitchen sink and faucet

I hate the old chrome/metal drain lines. They alway crumble the second you touch them.

Yep - plumbers earn their $$$

16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

What I've found You have to be very careful lining up all the pieces I tighten up the tailpiece to the sink then the other joints I tighten together making sure they stay lined up. I also put thread compound on the joints (type with Teflon) Also the trap only has so much swing in, so the stub out (trap adaptor)has to be in the right location. Our house all the traps were made of glued together ABS less chance of a leak needless to say I replaced them all did it the right way. I did use plastic traps they are fine easier to work with than brass and cost less.

17. Obsessed

Oh yes, I had the opportunity to quadruple check throughout the three week ordeal. I kep hoping it would be something like this. Maybe I wore them out retightening 1000 times.:rolleyes::mad:

Peegoo and Stubee like this.
  18. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I developed a strong dislike for those things over many years. It is totally possible to get them to work, but not that easy if you don't do it every day for a living. It is possible, IME, to screw the fittings up so they won't ever go together properly, especially in the later stages of trying, when you start thinking maybe you need to tighten it MORE, or possibly use a hammer. Too tight can also make it leak.

Look into Fernco fittings if you just can't get the plastic to work.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Yup, I have done that both ways depending on the sink drain design, but all of my leaks are below that area. I like the plumbers putty, but two of my sinks have the gasket and seem to do fine even though I was nervous for awhile with them. 5 years on, no issues there. Thanks though. I have fixed a few friends sink leaks just by redoing their plumbers putty jobs.

20. Obsessed

Thanks. Yeah, upside down under a sink so many times the last few weeks have bruised my kidneys or something. I think this is a way to age quickly. Every time I get back up I must look like a hundred year old man trying to re-straighten the body.

Flaneur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.