speaking of art... what is your favourite?

boop

Tele-Holic
I always liked Peter Bruegel, his surreal stuff and otherwise
DP818314.jpg

DP119115.jpg

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Me too. I've had this one on a bedroom wall for a very long time. Beside being a dog person I find it to be one of the most calming, peaceful images I know of.

View attachment 1034317

I've been to the Brandywine River Museum, many times.

If you're a Wyeth fan (N.C, Andrew, Jamie ) it's worth a trip.

Most of it is housed in an old mill right on the Brandywine River, next to where the largest battle of the American Revolution took place in Chadds Ford, PA.

Andrew's paintings speak to me in a similar way that they apparently do to you.

It's Americana from a different time and space, filled with simplicity and solitude; and muted colors from egg tempera (or watercolor) he mixed himself.

It gave the paintings a kind of misty, muted,pastoral quality.

Most of the characters in the paintings were local friends or aquantences he knew from childhood, that he painted from his studio nestled in the confines of the Chadds Ford area.

If you do a little research, the places in the paintings are still there for you to see and visit if you take the bus tour that the musuem offers.

Someone once asked Andrew why he was so infatuated with the area (his home from birth to death) and didn't paint other locales (except a bit of Coastal Maine).

His answer was that there was a lot yet to see there in Chadds Ford; and that he wanted to paint as much of it as he could in his lifetime.

I find his work thoughtful, haunting and beautiful!

imo.

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Cezanne. There are days when I think that everyone else is just finger painting by comparison. But that's perhaps just a little harsh.

I love lots of others - Degas, Manet, Gauguin, Morisot, Chardin, Pissarro, Gainsborough, to name but a few - but Cezanne is in a league of his own.

View attachment 1033990
I'm kinda partial to your paintings! I also like Backlund's guitar designs

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s been decades since I’ve thought about these painters. Truthfully, it was so many masks ago that I had to look up many of their names. I’ve forgotten the whole thing.

I spent the pinnacle of my youthful energy solemnly hunching over an easel. What a perilous endeavor it was, fraught with both crushing failures and intoxicating conquests of imagination. Painting gave me time to think. Anyway, of the more celebrated painters, these were some of my favorites, no particular order.

Marat
Copley
Velásquez
Vermeer
Renoir
van Eyck
Picasso
Daguerre
Botticelli
Correggio
Millais
Masaccio
Krohg
Holbein the Younger
David
de Largillière
Whistler
Sargent
Caravaggio
Dalí
Vecellio
Manet
Rubens
van Gogh
Stieler
Titian
Rembrandt
Bonheur
Millet
da Vinci
Fantin-Latour
Hals
Turner
Gentileshi
Baudry
Raphael
Cézanne
Ingres

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I felt very privileged to have the sculptor Keir Smith as a good friend for some 40 years from our schooldays in the late 1960s until his early death in 2007. It gave me a unique insight into the development of his work and into the contemporary art world. I've got a few of his drawings from one he did at age 16 up to one he did for me as a goodbye gift just before he died. So he's a special favourite.

He was a pretty nifty guitar player too. I made this LP Junior for him.

20191016_104705.jpg

Google for examples of his work.

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
A number of years ago I was having a pint outside a pub in central London and a small gallery over the road had an exhibition of Ronnie Wood's work. I went in for a quick look and really liked some of his stuff.
Probably was the subject matter that attracted me rather than anything else.

1664447593799.png

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
My thing is, I am hooked on the immediate visceral reaction to a painting/sculpture before the intellectual process of analysis kicks in. For that reason, I am most attracted to abstract expressionism. As a painter, that is what I prefer to paint. Next, I am attracted to Dadaism (Duchamp) and work derived from it. My least favorite is Italian Renaissance painting and painting around that period. That said, Caravaggio is my favorite painter from that era. What I love about his work are common people with wonderful facial expressions placed within a narrative.

Painting and music are the worlds I live in, and abstract painting and jazz are my favorite art forms... two different mediums using the same language.

So then, my favorite painters are Kandinsky, Kokoshka, Basquiat, Hofmann, Clyfford Still, Kirchner, and a few others that don't immediately come to mind. What drew me to painting in my early teens were the Impressionists and post-Impressionists, and Monet's paintings of light and van Gogh's manic colors and brush strokes resonate most from that period.

I am also tuned in to many painters who show their work on social media today. There are some fabulous painters out there who really blow me away.

Last edited: