Speakers...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Greetings,

I'm thinking of checking out a couple of speakers for my Fender 64' Custom Hand Wired PR. For any one who knows, it comes with the Italian made Jensen. The two that I'm considering, are the Ted Weber 10A125 and the A10Q, commissioned by RecPro Audio made by Weber. Have any of you tried either of these speakers? Both claim to be suitable replacements for the Jensen P10Q.

Cheers.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest the Eminence Alessandro GA10-SC64 ceramic. The Eminence ALK1028 is a great Alnico 10”.

3. Jared Purdy

Hey Wally,

Thanks. Out of curiosity why would you recommend that? I did look at the ALK1028 as well. Not sure why I didn't include it in my list? I love the sound of the Eminence Special Design in my 57' Deluxe. It holds together like nothing else. Dimming that amp is not a problem.

Do you know if original PR's came specifically with ceramic speakers, or did some of them come with the P10Q? I've seen photos that would seem to suggest both.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

This was the recommended replacement. However, I have seen JBL as markup catalog item later.
    catalogCapture.JPG

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. Wally

By the time the BF amps came along, Fender was not using .Alnico speakers in any amp except the single-ended Champ, Vibrochamp, and Bronco amps. Not very many 6G brown panel amps came with OEM Alnicos.
    I have replaced an OEM Jensen Alnico P12N in a brand new PRRI with the 12” Alessandro Eminence. Great speaker, imho. The owner of the amp, who did not care for that Jensen at all, was very pleased with the Emi.
    I have been a fan of the ALK 1028 since the early ‘90s. They have worked well in every situation I have put them.from my
    Super Champs, to Super Reverbs, to an 8x10 Marshall cab that sat under a 1979 Marshall 2203. Recently, I installed a Celestion Gold Alnico in a custom built tweed speaker cab for use with the owner’s Super Champ. When he picked it up, I let him hear the comparison of that speaker to the ALK in my Super Champ. He pulled out his phone and ordered an ALK immediately. Ommv

Telekarster likes this.
  6. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a pair of 1961 Jensen P10Q's in my 1960 Super. They were reconed @ Weber with their 10A125 cone and 30 watt voice coil. They are the perfect pair of speakers for this amp. The 10A125 sounds very close to the original P10Q. It has the same 1.25" voice coil and 11 oz. alnico magnet. If you were to go that route, I suggest you have Weber do a full break in for you.

That said; the best sounding Princeton Reverb's I've heard, and played through, were loaded with the Eminence Ragin Cajun.

Mowgli and Wally like this.
  7. Wally

The Emi Rajin’ Cajun is indeed a great speaker.

Mowgli likes this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

FWIW - I'm an alnico guy all the way and have Celestion Gold, Ruby, JBL120, Altec 417, EV coffee cans, etc. etc. I'm not familiar with the ALK1028 that @Wally is recommending but, now that he's recommended it, I'll probably be adding it to my collection ;) Thanks Wally!

Wally likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had a few of the 10A125's. They are good speakers and good replicas of the old Jensen P10Q. They can be pretty bright and take quite a while to break in until they are less bright though. But leaps and bounds better than the Jensen RI.
    The 10A150 Weber can be a bit warm... but have much better low end.
    But I'm with Wally, get an Emi GA SC64 10

JRapp likes this.
  10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

The webers to me are aggressive speakers, with forward mids. Perfect if thats what you want, but if you want traditional bf tones, i think there are better choices including the ones suggested by others above. I have come to love the Jensen Tornado for Fender tones and drops a few lbs off as well.

11. Pcs264

Pcs264 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

When I had my 1965 PR (an original, not a reissue) I put an Emi 1058 in it, to save the original Jensen for when I sold the amp. The Emi sounded fabulous - it brought out everything that PR was capable of. Sorry I sold that amp, but never had a moments regret over installing the Emi speaker.

Jared Purdy and Wally like this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Thanks. Interesting. So it is true, they came with both ceramic and alnico.

13. Jared Purdy

Well, I really like what they did for Fender in the 57'Deluxe. That Special Design is truly amazing sounding, at full volume, with hum buckers or singles. I asked the folks at Emi and they recommend either 1028 or the 1058. I'm going to order it and have it sent to my Sister-in-Law's house in Niagara Falls, NY so I don't have to pay the ridiculous brokerage fee. I'll keep you posted.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes that 1058 is a good speaker and not unlike the Weber 10F150 50 watt. Loud with a bold bottom. I forgot about suggesting that one. I like the Emi GA SC64 a bit better myself, especially at lower volumes.

SPAM: If you do decide on a 1058, I have one new in sealed box I didn't use. I see they are going for $100 and up on Ebay, This one shipped $70

Mowgli and Jared Purdy like this.
  15. Wally

Jared, again…the only BF/SF amps that came with Alnico speakers were the 5 watt Champ, Vibrochamp and bronco amps. If you want to study the matter,,go here…
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp3.htm
    You will find that there were some 6G amps that came with OEM Alnico speakers in the early part of the Brown amp era. Fender had tired of the rate of failure of the low power Alnico speakers. The P_N speakers were only 20-25 watt speakers. I once owned a 1959 Bassman that had two pairs of replacement speakers. One pair was replaced in late 1959…matching codes for the pair. Those date codes post-dated the tube chart by quite a bit. The other pair was from early 1960…again that pair had matching codes. Those P10Rs were 10 watt speakers. There is a reason why Leo and Co. went to ceramics. I have never owned a 6G amp that had OEM Alnico speakers.
    Be that as it may, whatever a person wants to run is fair game.

JRapp and Jared Purdy like this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

I don't have experience with the 1028 or Alessandro. Heard good things.

I do have experience with the Emi 1058 and Rajin Cajun in a SFPR. BOTH sounded great but I preferred the 1058. I pair it with an ext. cab loaded with a Cannibus Rex. The Rajin Cajun (& Emi Copperhead) sound great in a lot of different amps.

I would add that some like the WGS Veteran 10". IMO, the Veteran sounded better in the Vibrolux paired with the Emi lil buddy; nice combination but the 20 watt limit on the Veteran makes me refrain from opening the VR up!

FWIW, I came across two Peavey-labeled Emi alnico 12" speakers with Alum dust caps from really old small Peavey PA cabs. They sound amazing with the PR, an AB673 Bandmaster and an old Ampeg Reverberocket. One of them replaced the old Jensen P12N in the Ampeg. Who would have thought that?

There's no law saying PRs must have 10" speakers.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  17. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That chart is from the late 1950's. Most blackface amps used ceramic speakers, with the exceptions being; the Champ series, the rare blackface 1 x 12 Vibrolux & early Bandmaster's (both using Oxford 12K5 alnico's) and the Super Reverb using CTS alnico's.

Jared Purdy and uriah1 like this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Looking like 50s. Most others I saw saw said fender speaker or linen speaker.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  19. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I am surprised nobody asked yet, but what didn't you like about the Jensens that you are hoping to improve upon with a new speaker?

For me, I hate the Italian jensen speakers, would never go that route again. Just too much top end brightness in every amp I had them in. If that is the case for you, consider the WGS 10C/S (10" smoothcone) speaker. I tamed Gibson GA-6 Skylark with that and use one in a Brown Princeton clone. I really like the warmth it adds to those 10 inch amps.

JRapp, Jared Purdy and PhredE like this.
  20. Jared Purdy

Thanks for the clarification. That link is very useful.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.