Speakers that have wowed you

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by theprofessor, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely.
    JBL D 120, and I'm partial to the "F"s, greatest guitar speaker ever.
    You have to learn how to control it, but after that, you are riding the whirlwind.

dan1952 and Crobbins like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I may come off as the dumpster-diver of this thread by saying this, but I have really come to like the sound of the 15" Scorpion in my old Peavey TKO bass combo for guitar. I'm not entirely sure how much of what I like is coming from the speaker, since it's in a ported closed-back cabinet and an amp with different tone-shaping controls (all active, hi/lo shelving and 7-band graphic) than the typical guitar amp (not to mention Peavey's DDT speaker protection limiter). But when you crank that thing up with the bright switch on and EQ it with a bit of a push in the mids, you get a pretty memorable, lightly-breaking-up snarl that is kind of earwax-searing but not really harsh. It doesn't make your teeth hurt, but still seems bright and detailed once you get some light clipping going...and it has a nice hint of "sag" to the playing feel that might be the speaker juuuuust starting to go non-linear or it might be the DDT kicking in. It's really fun to play lead licks on, since it's still a fairly clean sound but with the hint of sag, and it's clean enough for open-position chords and various weird chord voicings to come across with some clarity. It seems pretty pants-flaptastic for 80-ish solid state watts. At lower volumes it sounds okay, but kind of polite. Cranked u

But carrying a TKO around is probably about like carrying a Super Reverb with a slab of concrete poured into the bottom of the cabinet. Not fun on stairs. It's heavy and awkward, but at least it's tall and bulky. Sometime I would like to try a 15" Scorpion in a comparatively lightweight open-back cabinet powered by some other amp circuits to see if I like it as well set up that way.

I would also like to compare the Scorpion to some other high-power-handling 15s and see what that's like.

theprofessor likes this.
  3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Orange and gray, all the way!

Teleguy61 likes this.
  4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I installed the GA10-SC64 into my PRRI and it made a great difference from the stock speaker. It truly sounds like a PR should. Clear and punchy.

theprofessor likes this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently bought a Celestion Fullback 15" speaker for my 1960 Vibrasonic, it's a GREAT sounding speaker!

theprofessor likes this.
  6. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

Eminence GA 64
    Celestion Creamback 65

7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

My two favorite speakers were frank abignale and the the co-pilot of bockscar (fred olivi). The latter is now deceased, but he was cut from a different cloth than most of the current generation, and not "soft" by any means, nor shaken by any "how did it feel to know you killed all of those people" questions.

..oh..wait...

..cerwin vega vs-120

Gah...still not right.

Abignale is super smooth - his recent speech to google is probably something that should be posted in the bad dog cafe.

8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

Copperhead - way underrated speaker, maybe because it's described as being "bright" or "country" on the eminence site? It's actually very well-rounded with a tight bottom end. Sounds WAY better than the 1058, imo, which imo has a weird flat sound and weird mids

9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I hope the Warehouse G12 c/s I just ordered "wows" me. Gonna pair it with a Celestion G12V-70 that I love. Its a cheap speaker but it sounds great in my Allen Accomplice.

10. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

I have yet to install a Weber vintage series that didn't impress.
    I've been using twin C-rex in my cab sitting under my 1968 Bandmaster head for a good while now.

Just today I got my daughter to help me install a Weber 12F150 I got from a Reverb seller last week ( I'm still healing from back surgery).

The thing came alive !!! which is a statement I've made nearly every time I've installed a 12A or 12F of any sort from Weber.
    So far I'm leaving the old labeled C-rex in with the Weber as they balance each other very well when the Baja Tele is hooked up.
    Next up is the 50th anniversary Stratocaster with the Custom Shop 54's.

I used 10A125a in my Super Reverb and had Weber recone some CTS Alnicos on another SR.

Glad to have Weber in my state ! everyone should go down and visit their shop, its amazing what they do in that place !

Great people too.

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Great thread!

I've been through dozens of speakers over the years and there's no doubt that it's the easiest way to change/improve tone.

I too was blown away by the blue frame alnico in an early tweed Pro Junior.

Loved the Legend 1058 until I tried Copperhead; now it's my fave.

Had lots of Webers 8, 10, 12 and have never been wowed.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

The other Emi that wowed me was the Wizard. Had it in a Winfield Cyclone AC 15 and it was incredible, much better than the Celestion anniversary it was supposedly modeled after. I had both.

13. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

I've been pretty addicted to my very first Greenback purchased about a month + ago..putting this through a ton of changes
    over that month and Im amazed at the versatility of this speaker..i gave it good breaking in and this thing, in my opinion, can
    do it all..of course for cubes out rock and roll it screams but I'm really enjoying it's clean sound..Something really special about it for me.

14. Big Ben

Big Ben TDPRI Member

Eminence V12
    Old seamed cone/square magnet CTS
    Celestion Eight 15

JustABluesGuy and czech-one-2 like this.
  15. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Altec 418-C

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jensen MOD, actually. For what it is, and its price, not bad, a real surprise.

17. krowbot

krowbot Tele-Meister

Celestion Alnico Blue.

18. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Good to see all the love for CTS alnico 10's! My absolute favorite speaker for Super and Vibrolux Reverbs! Never tried on in a Princeton but bet it would be sweet there too.

Also a fan of Celestion Blues and Golds, so another vote there.

Like the Weber F150s too.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

There’s that guy in the Capital Highchair...kinda puts the W-O-W, in most things he says

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

upload_2018-12-2_19-7-40.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.