Speakers for Roland JC-120?

Johnny Cache

Former Member
That's really interesting. I've never found a Jensen that I cared much for (I know, I know), but the MOD series seems to be something different. Unfortunately, as I was cruising their website, I noticed that all of their sound clips are the same clips for every speaker. I'll see what I can find on YouTube.

I don't know what you're looking for as far as tone. I liked the MOD better than the stock 50 watt Alltone speaker that Reverend put in it. The Alltone was under ratted, why would they put a 50 watt speaker in a 60 watt amp? I couldn't get a good clean sound out of it, too much break up at normal gig volume, not blowing down the walls. Some guys like it that way so I sold the Alltone (cheap) and tried the MOD, never tried one before. Since then I've put them in 4 other amps. Ones I fixed and sold, nobody has complained about them yet. So I guess they must like it okay.

FilthyTerrible

TDPRI Member
From everything I've read I think the Weber Californias are the closest and people seem to like them as a replacement to vintage Jensens.

https://www.tedweber.com/cali12a

I tried Celestions in my JC120 and it made it sound like a Marshall. I don't want my JC120 to sound like a Marshall so I removed them. I'm leaning towards reconing the stock ones I have at the moment.

Oh, and the aluminum cones will restore the original look.

TheWharfRat

NEW MEMBER!
Old thread, I know. From the late 80's up to the early 2000's, I dragged my JC-120 across all of Illinois. It was a heavy bastard, but it was also loud, took pedals well enough & had a beautiful sound that my lead guitarist and best friend was constantly trying to steal. He drove me nuts by either not bringing his amp or just plugging his rig into channel 2 w/o asking. I had to fight him so I could use my own damn amp😂. He had a decent Peavey it just wasn't loud enough, didn't have enough reverb and didn't have chorus.

I hope you still have that JC-120 @TheGoodTexan and were able to find some original 12" speakers for it and return it to its former glory. I stumbled upon this thread trying to search for jc120 speakers. Apparently they're a hot commodity and have been for years. When I realized I couldn't afford a Mesa Boogie ½ stack & the Ibanez 540R that I wanted, a quick thinking Guitar Center employee that sold me on buying a JC-120 instead. The guitar was sold long before the amp.

If anyone had any experiences with swapping out the speakers on a JC-120 or found an older 80's or 90's JC-120 pls post about it. It was my 1st real amp. I foolishly pawned it for $250. If I can buy a similar one, that'd be great but I can live vicariously through other 120 owners & musicians

Last edited:

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
I use the Neodymium version of the EM-12 with my Quilter Tone Blocks.

I am very happy with the speaker paired with that amp. It provides a very clear and balanced clean sound. I think it handles low frequencies extremely well.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
In my experience, all the common stereo guitar amps (Roland JC, Peavey Chorus, Fender Ultimate, Ultra, and Princeton Chorus) run one amp/speaker with the chorus and run the other side dry. I think a pair of Celestion 70/80s, which don't get much love elsewhere, would probably be a good sub for nice clean tones - and shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg, if you find them as "pulls" from another amp (I got a pair for under a hundred bucks that way). Considering value vs tone, my second choice would Eminence Legends...

trancedental

Tele-Meister
I had a Roland Jazz Chorus JC77 2 x 10" combo for 10 years, I tried a pair of Eminence Legend 105 10" speakers instead of the stock Roland ones.

The Legends made the amp unusable as they exaggerated the hiss from the chorus effect compared to the originals so the Roland speakers went back in! What was annoying I asked an online retailer for a recommendation for that exact amp. :confused:

I would take the Jazz Chorus amp to a guitar shop with a wide range of speakers & try them out until you found ones that work. I know the chorus FX goes to one speaker & the other one is dry, so maybe 2 different types might work well?

I read somewhere back in the pre internet days, that Roland designed the amp & speakers to be a solid state version of a Fender Twin Reverb with JBL speakers. Maybe the posters suggesting the JBL type speakers might be on the right track :cool:

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
My next pick would be

Eminence Lil' Texas neos.

I kinda chuckle when the Altec / JBL / Electro-Voice crowd chimes in. Altec went outta business decades ago while the others are heavy old technology speakers stuck in the 1980s. A Lil' Texas will do everything a D120F will do without the weight and expense.

Agreed. They seem to be often overlooked, but I had them in my 67 Pro Reverb and they were wonderful.