Speakers for Roland JC-120?

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I just scored a JC-120 on eBay, for $249. I used one of these for a good long while in the 1990s, and I know specifically what that amp excels at, *and what it does not.*

However, this particular amp has had a speaker swap. Rather than the stock Roland speakers, it has Eminence Screamin Eagles in it. I have no experience with that speaker at all.

So here are my questions:

(1) The stock Roland speakers were very slow to break up, adding very little of their own character to the overall tone. In what ways can I expect the Screamin Eagle speakers differ from that, with this amp?

(2) A quick internet search doesn't turn up any results for purchasing the stock speakers for a JC-120 (as in new replacements). What are some readily available speaker options out there which might compliment this amp well, for what it was made to do?

(*Note: I will not be trying to force a square peg into a round hole with this amp... In other words, I'm not trying to make it sound more like a tube amp, or make it sound like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, etc. I'll be using it for basic, pretty, chimey cleanish tone... like the clean tones that you might hear from Eric Johnson. This is what I did with this amp when I owned it previously, and it worked well for me for that purpose.)

Last edited:

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Get a set of EMINENCE SWAMP THANGS,they will be better than the stock speakers of the amp & definitely better from the low power ones it has now,you need at least 100w per speaker

Last edited:

muchxs

Doctor of Teleocity
I'd go for something intended for a modeling amp, very neutral...

Considering there's a dead Line 6 behind every dumpster by now a hundo worth o' speakers can be harvested from a fifty buck Line 6.

My next pick would be

Eminence Lil' Texas neos.

I kinda chuckle when the Altec / JBL / Electro-Voice crowd chimes in. Altec went outta business decades ago while the others are heavy old technology speakers stuck in the 1980s. A Lil' Texas will do everything a D120F will do without the weight and expense.

Johnny Cache

Former Member
Here's what I could find. It seems like the speakers are a little under powered for the amp. I usually use speakers that are higher rating than the amp. 2-50 watt speakers in a 120 watt amp could be a problem. Fender Twins usually come with 2-100 watt speakers, for a good reason. But if you like the sound and don't push it too hard it may be okay.

I've always liked Roland JC amps and had one several years ago, it just wasn't as road worthy as my Twin Reverb.

In any event you got a great deal on a good amp, enjoy!

Overview

The Eminence Patriot Screamin' Eagle 12" Guitar Speaker is a great club speaker for American blues and rock. Clear, articulate tone with screamin' top end and tight bass response. Perfect for a one, 2, or 4x12" open- or closed-back speaker cab. 50 RMS handling. 8 or 16 ohm impedance.

Eminence recommends the Screamin' Eagle for the Marshall MG412 cabinet, as a replacement for the Marshall MG 412, Fender FM 412 (16 Ohm) cabinets, and the Marshall MG50DFX & MG250DFX combo amplifiers. The Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker is recommended as an alternate replacement to the above mentioned components.
Features

Bright, articulate American tone

Specifications

50W RMS handling,
8 or 16 ohm impedance

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Of course I'll fool around with the amp as it is, with the Screamin Eagles, but I will probably end up pulling the speakers. I've just speak a bit of time listening to some sound clip demos of that speaker, and I couldn't find anything that seems to match my tastes.

I like the idea of a high-power speaker. The Swamp Thang looks interesting.

Do any of you have any opinions or experience with either of these? (links provided):

Eminence Patriot Commonwealth

Eminence Legend EM-12

I've always wanted to try the Legend in a high-power solid state 1x12 combo that I use quite a bit for clean stuff, but I've never pulled the trigger.

And the Commonwealth looks like an old JBL to me. I wonder if it's similar??

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
The Eminence Patriot Commonwealth is a FANTASTIC speaker very JBL like, but also good with overdrive the EM-12 is an Electro Voice EVM12L copy at 1/3 of the price alas both are VERY heavy.

Johnny Cache

Former Member
If you're looking for clean maybe try the Jensen MOD 12-110. I put one in a Reverend Hellhound I really liked it.

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If you're looking for clean maybe try the Jensen MOD 12-110. I put one in a Reverend Hellhound I really liked it.

That's really interesting. I've never found a Jensen that I cared much for (I know, I know), but the MOD series seems to be something different. Unfortunately, as I was cruising their website, I noticed that all of their sound clips are the same clips for every speaker. I'll see what I can find on YouTube.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
+1 for neutral neo speakers like Jensen Neo 12-100 or Emi Lil' Texas. They're very efficient and loud, have no annoying tone coloration with firm bass and sweet highs, and they'll save weight on the already heavy JC-120 !

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
Here's what I could find. It seems like the speakers are a little under powered for the amp. I usually use speakers that are higher rating than the amp. 2-50 watt speakers in a 120 watt amp could be a problem.

Well, the JC120 is really two 60watt amps, 60watts per side. And we all know 60 solid state watts pales in comparison to 60 tube watts. So I think the stock Roland speakers were a well thought out match for these amps,and the aluminum dust caps are key to the beautiful clean tone. A couple years ago I thought I would try some different speakers in my 78' JC120. I tried a pair of celestion neo's and couldn't put the stock speakers back in fast enough!
Next came a pair of reissue Jensen C12N's... same result.
Being that the old original Roland speakers are rare as hens teeth,I think Muchxs is on to something with a modeleing amp speaker. I think that would be your best bet cause IMO you dont want a speaker that adds its own sonic signature or boosts mids,bass etc. I'd look for a pair of cheap fender,Line 6,Kustom,Marshall Valvestate SS speakers. Or better yet, maybe try to find an old pair of CTS or Eminence aluminum dust cap speakers. They're out there if you hunt for em'! A JC120 doesnt look right or sound right without the aluminum caps shining through the grill...;)
Of course, my suggestion is for CLEAN tone, which is why you buy this amp, right?

jimbo735

Tele-Afflicted
Any of the suggestions mentioned sound very good , just to add to it I used one in the 90,s and still use my jc120 today back then I would stack it on top of a four by twelve with celestion,s rewired in stereo just so I could use both speaker outs,and it did great at the clean and overdrive with pedals.
The 4x12 warmed it or darkened it in a good way.
Experiment and see what you like and works.

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Of course, my suggestion is for CLEAN tone, which is why you buy this amp, right?

Yes. I will be using it for chimey, sparkley clean tones.

The last time I used a JC120 regularly was about 1998. And I remember that when I did want dirty tones out of it, I had two basic options that seemed to work. An old MIJ Boss DS-1.... Or a Ibanez TS-10, with the amp's distortions circuit simply clicked on, but remaining at the lowest possible setting. Either of those options would get me something useable.

However, at this point, I'm planning to simply use this amp for clean stuff, and throw a bit of compression on the front end, and a TC Nova Repeater for some delays.

bparnell57

Poster Extraordinaire
My suggestions:

Line 6 Celestions (Seventy 80's)

EV Force PA Midrange drivers if you want rounded cleans

Peavey Black Widow's out of a destroyed old peavey amp

Tle4

Tele-Afflicted
Try Roland support. Maybe they can tell you what the stock speakers are to give you an idea of what's a close match. I am sure they are just another speaker rebranded with the Roland name.

mabley123

Friend of Leo's
Actually Great Plains Audio ( who are all former Altec employees )...... bought all of the Patents, Manufacturing Equipment in the 90s, and Still manufacture Many of the original components.

They still make the Altec 417H ( $330 ) and the Altec 421A ( $365 )

Not that I would suggest these would be good speakers for a JC120.

Id probably put in a couple Celestion G12T 100s in it.

bparnell57

Poster Extraordinaire
If you have a cool 80 to 100 watt 12" I could put in my Sundown copy, I'd be happy to ship you the pair of speakers I'd put in there:

80 watt Line 6 Celestion

And a

1980's Musicman Ceramic Eminence

By varying speakers I bet you could deepen the chorus complexity and provide more rounded and harmonically rich clean tones. I bet these speakers would also handle dirt pedals well.

JD0x0

Poster Extraordinaire
Mix a Fane or JBL with an EVM, fairly uncolored speakers, with lots of room before they start to break-up. I like mixing speakers personally. I often like how the two different speaker responses blend, and form a more complex tone.

Johnny Cache

Former Member
Well, the JC120 is really two 60watt amps, 60watts per side. And we all know 60 solid state watts pales in comparison to 60 tube watts.

I don't know that. RMS wattage doesn't change for Tube or Solid-State it remains the same. Not sure what your thinking, perhaps volume? Those JC 120's can get pretty loud, I should know I've used them and a Twin Reverb allot and they kept up nicely. I think you're right it may have been 2 60 watt amps. I do think I remember, the Chorus effect does affect the speakers differently, I think just one of them, not sure any more, never did like it the Chorus wasn't my thing. Rather use a pedal for that effect if I need it. It's been almost 20 years since I used one. Still they were pretty good amps.