1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker with a lot of mids

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by homesick345, Jul 9, 2013.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

any guitar speaker that comes to your mind that has lots of mids, or is mid-prominent; vs. subdued (or soft) bass & treble?

Buy mid, I don't mean the high-mids of celestions, or low middle or anything, but really middle-mids - say, like when you crank the middle knob on a twin or super reverb.

thanks for input

2. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

A lot of folks around these parts like the Eminence "Red Fang"

3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Celestion Vintage 30

Edit: shoulda read your post more thoroughly, sorry

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Warehouse Guitar Speaker - "Veteran 30", (their version of the Vintage 30).

5. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Celestion Blue, Weber Blue dog

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you're at all a fan of Eminence speakers I'd suggest visiting their site and checking out the specs on their entire line. They do a great job of describing the basic tonality of each model, displaying it's specs and a graph of it's frequency response, and there are recorded sound bites of each speaker. I think they've made shopping for tone a whole lot easier with this approach.

http://www.eminence.com/

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Soulman. I am a huge fan fan of Eminence - & got many of their speakers. THey are super cool to deal with.

Sadly, I find their description of their speakers quite perplexing. THat's my experience anyhow. Example: they describe the Texas Heat 12 as having aggressive mids. It is the single speaker that is totally void of any mids I have ever heard in my life. Not a bad speaker at all, but go figure how we - maybe - hear different things.

8. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

tone tubby Nashville alnico is nice. as is an eminence eric Johnson 1250.

but I would probably go for an EV EVM 12L.

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

What amp are you going to be using this speakers with?

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear about that experience homesick and as you said, "go figure". When I was looking for a replacement for the OEM Legend (Vintage 75 in Roland's terms) in my Blues Cube that would smooth out the top end I corresponded with their Manager of Product Design, Tom James, and he suggested the CRex. That description couldn't have been more accurate if they'd brought one out to me to hear before I installed it.

You could sure drop him an email @ Eminence and discuss what you're looking for with him. He may have a much better clue than whoever it was in the marketing department that wrote the description of the Texas Heat. I used to know a sound guy in a club we played we named "Stony" behind his back because we all swore he had stone ears. Maybe "Stony" is writing product descriptions for Eminence now, LOL.

And tazzboy has a good thought here as well. Some speakers just don't do well in certain amps so that's also where Tom might be helpful since we discussed my specific needs relative to a BC 60. Good luck with the hunt brother. I know how much of a struggle it can be at times but finding the right solution is always worth it when it turns a good amp into a great amp.

11. dbeeman

dbeeman TDPRI Member

wgs G12 CS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.