1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jacksquat, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jacksquat

jacksquat TDPRI Member

Hey all,
    I'm looking to swap out the speaker in my Fender Supersonic 22 1x12 combo.
    Something with smoother highs, slightly more bass and more efficient (more clean volume).
    I play mostly the clean channel with pedals for overdrive. Blues and some classic rock.

Thanks,
    Artie.

2. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

Give a listen to the Eminence C-Rex. My HR Delux III came with one from the factory. It will give you what you are looking for, it is also rated as having a very slow breakup and a louder speaker. I think they run about $100.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Creamback

5. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

The Fender EQ is kind of tricky with that huge mid scoop. You might try setting treble to "0" and mids to "10" and lows to "2" and see if that helps some. Turn the volume up a notch to compensate.

You may really like the Eminence V12. It's a great speaker, with highs not so rolled off as the Cannabis Rex, and the V12 has better lows. Also, if you can find a Celestion G12T-100 made in UK, THAT is exactly, exactly what you want. Far and away the best speaker I've tried from celestion. The lows are thunderous - even in open back.

CHAD

6. Srini

Srini TDPRI Member

I totally concur with Willy and Soulman. I'm a huge fan of the C-Rex and have one in my BFDR clone, and it sounds really sweet - perfect for what you're describing. That said, there may be some truth to the fact that it takes a little while to break in.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

RWB

8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Celestion g12-65 or WGS ET65 do a good job at smoothing out highs and adding some bottom end in an open back cab. They sound good clean or dirty.

I just put a 65 watt Creamback in my Marshall 1x12 combo and that is a killer speaker too if you are looking for more of a British voiced speaker

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a fan of the Eminence Legend GB128...big bottom, smooth top end, warm and woody tones. Very efficient.
    I would also suggest that the bias be checked in that SuperSonic....if you haven't done that already. IT might be a bit to the cool side, ime.

10. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

+1 for the WGS ET-65, (their version of the Celestion Creamback). Also pretty reasonable priced.

11. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

You may like a Texas Heat too. Lots of low end, rolled off highs & some mids. Way too loud for me though as they are very sensitive. But if you want clean headroom and extended low end with rolled off highs there you have it. They are cheap too, which is nice. I bought two for a twin reverb for 135 bucks from zzounds.

12. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I picked up 2 of the GB128's on CL about 2 years ago. The guy wanted $20 total for the two. I gave him $20 each because he didn't know a thing about what he had. He was happy and so was I.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

CRex or for just a hair more top end but just as smooth the tone tubby 40/40.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

If you get into hard rock that needs a slightly brighter voice 40/40 for sure. Think mountain, rush, BTO and iron maiden.

15. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

I've been through a bunch of Fenders.. Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, DRRI
    These 2 speakers seem to really do well to tame the highs for classic rock and blues.
    ... Eminence Cannabis Rex and also the Emi Texas Heat.

In fact I ran both in a 2X12 and got great results.

16. jacksquat

jacksquat TDPRI Member

Thanks all…
    Went with the C-Rex. Will install Friday and give a review.
    Thanks for the advice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.