Speaker upgrade - Orange Micro Crush PiX 3 Watt Mini Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rockymtnguitar, Aug 5, 2018.

1. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

So, let me first start by saying "it is what it is." The amp is small (4" speaker) and light (3 watts). I got this used amp essentially free. Never could bond with it. I don't like to run amps off battery and this one makes a ton of noise with my 1Spot power supply. Much quieter stock with just a 9v battery. The Overdrive channel was just too much - too muddy, too crunchy. Unusable for me. Clean was fine. It wouldn't sell on Craigslist so I found the Greta speaker upgrade thread and decided to try the Visaton speaker.

Result - much more usable, so far. Speaker isn't broken in, but the crunch seems to be lessened to something I can work with. I'm really happy with my 20 minutes of effort and a new $8 speaker. I also discovered the baffle was floating loose, so I hot-glued that back down and dusted the whole thing out. Fun little refurb project. Here's a few pics. If anyone else has or does mod these, I'd be curious to hear about it. MP3 in would be really helpful.
    IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG

2. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

If nothing in your rig is grounded to earth the 1Spot can be very noisy.
    The moment one piece of gear in the chain, usually an amp or laptop with a 3-prong plug, is inserted it's totally quiet.
    This explains why some people have zero problems while others complain about the noise.
    If everything in your signal chain is Class II or double isolated an easy solution is to simply run an extra cable from a ground point (jack sleeve, metal chassis point, stompbox enclosure etc.) to the ground pin in a wall socket. A simple wire with an aligator clip at each end will do.

The stock speaker most likely is from Chunil:
    http://www.kicschunil.com/product.asp

They supply guitar speakers for pretty much every (cheap) SS amp, be it Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange or any rebranded versions of those.
    I find their speakers tend to have a lot of, not so nice, breakup (at any volume).
    They all sound rather scooped, brittle and scratchy...
    Although somewhat usable for cleans, they're way too fizzy for crunch tones.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

That's awesome you had such great results. Thanks for posting and good to know the Visaton can help other amps too. Great little speaker isn't it? Another happy Visaton convert. It will only get better with break in. Mine is super broke in and sounding supreme for a 4" speaker

4. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

Good to know on the speaker, thanks. I'm getting going on some cigar box amps and I'll be making a real effort to fit that particular 4" speaker into future projects, when possible. Seems like a good general amp, cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.