Speaker upgrade for Fender Pro reverb 1979?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jussi, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Is all the other service up to date? Filter and bias caps under 5 years old, bypass caps tested and replaced as necessary, voltages tested, and phase inverter checked for balance, bias checked and adjusted for your playing style etc?

If not you're wasting your time chasing speakers. Have the electronics dialed in first - THEN go speaker shopping.

without knowing your style it's hard to recommend speakers. Rock, country - metal?? All require different speakers.

For most cover band situations the ceramic WGS version of the creamback is often a good choice. But knowing more about WHAT you play would really help.

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Since I already had a 1968 Twin Reverb and a slightly modified (2x10 baffle, 2 JBL D119Fs, SS rectifier and 6L6s) Deluxe Reverb, and I picked up the Pro Reverb at a price point of $350, I had my tech go through it, cap job and biased the 2 6l6s I supplied, speakers were chosen for weight considerations- Jensen Neos. I have a pair of Jensen Stealth Neos in my Twin and they have a really great sound at a weight savings of 11-12 lb over stock Oxfords. I ended up trading the amp for a Gibson LG1 (1965) that I later sold for a little over 1100. The JBL K120s ended up in my lead player's Twin for a time, but came back in another trade and later sold.

3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

A pair of Eminence Lil' Texas speakers would probably do the trick.
    I own a '67 blackface pro reverb amp.
    When I bought the amp, it had the original Oxford speakers in it. I decided to try the Lil' Texas speakers that I had taken out of my 70s twin reverb amp, and it helped make the pro reverb more efficient (louder) than with the stock speakers. The Lil Texas speakers have a warm low end, and smooth highs. I find Eminence speakers to have a smoother top end than other manufacturers, overall (some may hear differently :)).

The Lil' Texas also helped make my pro reverb lighter (still a bit heavier than a deluxe reverb reissue).
    In the end, I took them out because they made my pro too efficient :lol: (my '67 doesn't have a master volume like yours does).

The Lil Texas handles cleans and overdrive with ease. Just be sure to get it well broken in before deciding whether its for you.

4. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I would recommend the Wampler Hot Wired (Brent Mason signature) pedal.
    I have one in my board, and really like how it sounds with fender amps.
    It sounds terrific through my twin reverb, which is equipped with Weber California speakers (JBL-inspired speakers).
    The Hot Wired pedal has a blend knob that lets you mix in your clean tone with the overdriven signal, and the distortion side is smooth, too. It doesn't get harsh once dialed in.

The other thing about overdrive: don't max out the gain. :D
    Playing with a lower overdriven sound dialed in on the pedal, means that the pedal isn't coloring the original clean tone as much. It also helps keep the lighter overdriven tone more focused, which is especially useful for keeping a tone that cuts through when playing live.
    If you need more gain: try using two overdrive pedals together; the Wampler Hot Wired pedal (or any other two-channel overdrive pedal) is perfect for this, since there are, essentially, two overdrive pedals in one. :D

Hope this helps,
    Joseph.

5. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

I can't believe my ears anymore...

I went to the test shop for a blues junior amplifier again and somehow that tone appeals to me more than a pro reverb at the moment. There probably lives inside "spirit of the blues" themselves :)

I was wondering how much a speaker update could change a pro reverb amplifier? Now Pro reverb amp may be more country than the actual blues type tone.

After all, it’s probably just a question (for myself), that keep I pro reverb or go back to blues Junior...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jussi, if one wants to do so that Pro Reverb can be made into a more versatile amp with one channel,moved toward the tweed thing that is at the heart of the Blues Jr...and the other Blues/Hot Rod amps. The Pro Reverb has that classic mid-scoop sound in both channels. One can make one channel into a channel that has less mid scoop and more mids...more gain as well. The effects can be placed on both channels. An adjustment pot in the negative feedback loop can give some added versatility there....going from the cancellation of the sock amp to less cancellation..which gives you a livelier sound with more harmonic content.
    I personally would prefer this to putting money into an inexpensively made Blues/Hot Rod Fender. If you ever run across a Fender Pro .sonic, grab it. It is a very well built amp that is rooted in that 5F6A world but with great versatility. A Fender SuperSonic has a BF style channel and a 5F6A style channel and is much better built than are the Blues/Hot Rod amps....but not as well built as a Pro Sonic.

Jussi likes this.
  7. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Thanks for your comments and ideas Wally!

I have to first think about whether Pro reverb will stay with me permanently or move forward. However, you have to try all its possibilities first.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I like my WGS veteran 30 for my 45 watt Traynor YRM-1 HEAD. It is warm but not bassy.

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Definitely agree with Wally and noname_dragon~gb-12 is a great speaker.
    I have recommended the it before.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have heard the WGS Veteran in a DRRI. I thought it was a very good speaker. I would like to hear it A/B’d against a GB128. My thought is that they might be very similar speakers.

11. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

My fender is 60 Watts, so WGS veteran’s power endurance is pretty tight.

I was buying a used Texas heat pair, but I was narrowly late.

Used WGS g12c/s speakers are pretty well available here, so I’ll keep an eye on the situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.