Speaker to pair with Greenback in 2x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TunaFaceMelt, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TunaFaceMelt

TunaFaceMelt TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    Title says it all. I have an semi-open back 2x12 cabinet with one Greenback and one Carvin GS12-75-16 speaker.

I am looking at replacing the Carvin with something that will complement the sonic profile of the Greenback and produce a more balanced tone when both speakers are pushing air. I have been looking at Eminence speakers primarily, I understand the Private Jack is sort of their 50w take on a Greenback with more pronounced lows, which seems like what I'm after.

I use the cabinet for clean sounds, powering the speakers with a little Vox MV50 Clean, with a bunch of pedals for effects/dirt. I play blues/rock/jazz.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Simple. Another Greenback. I have a pair in a Peavey 2-12. Nothing beats a pair of them, except maybe a quad of them.
    I hated the Private Jack. Sounded nothing like a Greenback to my ears. Just a bunch of mids. Sold it as fast as I could get it out of the cab. On the other hand the Eminence Legend GB128 is my favorite 12" in a 1-12 cab.

3. TunaFaceMelt

I had an itching suspicion that the simplest answer would be the correct answer. My cabinet can switch between mono and stereo though, and I find that when I switch to just the one Greenback by itself, I'm missing some of the low end of the spectrum that I tend to like when both speakers are active.
    I guess an additional (maybe stupid) question could be : is listening to one GB by itself equivalent to having two? Does having two end up beefing the low end a bit? Am I just overthinking the heck out of this?

4. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

G12-65. No need to thank me later, just enjoy it.

5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the G12-65...

One of these days I will get my hands on one (or a pair).

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I've got a quad from 1980. They kill. For Marshall sounds, they're right up there with Greenbacks. They're that good.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  7. TunaFaceMelt

Thank you for the tip, I will look into this. What makes the G12-65 a good pair with Greenback?

8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

It's like a Greenback with a little deeper bottom end and smoother mids.

Most importantly, it's "soft". It's not a loud speaker. They're rated at about a 96-97 db sensitivity, meaning, it's output is roughly the same as a Greenback so it won't overpower your Greenback in a 2x12...which is really easy to do with many other speakers. 65s and Greenbacks will live happily ever after in the same cab.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  9. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

One important factor I gotta mention....

A 2x12 with a Greenback in it, paired with any other speaker, will at most be a 50w cab.

The lowly 25w Greenback will be the "weak link" for power handling.

No matter what kind or how many speakers you tie together, the formula for rating a cab with mixed speakers is number of speakers x lowest rated wattage.

In your case....two speakers x 25w (Greenback) = 50 watts handling.

TunaFaceMelt likes this.
  10. TunaFaceMelt

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Problem though, for some reason they made the G12-65 in 15 ohm, not 16 ohm? Seems strange. My GB is 16 ohm. Would that difference of one ohm mess everything up?

11. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

It does not matter.

Just FYI, speakers never stay at one ohm rating. They flutter around depending on frequency. A 16 ohm speaker might range anywhere from 12 to 18 ohms depending on what you're pumping through it.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  12. TunaFaceMelt

Thank you for the information! I am still pretty new to the speaker tone hunt game.

Additional question: Are there more affordable alternatives to the G12-65? In my brief research the general consensus seems to be Eminence Tonespotter was closest (although still its own thing) but they're unavailable now.

JohnnyCrash and Greg_L like this.
  13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

WGS ET65. It's a pretty nice clone. And very affordable.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  14. TunaFaceMelt

Awesome I will look into that! Thanks again for your feedback!

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

You're welcome. Good luck!

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  16. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Matchless uses a G12H and a Greenback in their cabs, which sound amazing. Since your amp is in the Vox family, this would work well.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Something to keep in mind is that you need to watch carefully for differences in efficiency. The number I've heard is 3 dB of difference effectively negates the presence of the less efficient / quieter speaker. In other words, you can convert your 2x12 into a 1x12 (but you still get to carry two speakers around).

If it was me, I'd go with a second greenback. The two speakers coupled together in one cabinet will have more punch & bass than a single speaker alone.

Greg_L likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If nobody mentioned it already, there are more than three different "Greenbacks", but for the sake of clarity we can go with just three.

If you want a thicker woody almost nasal sound then add a G12M20 to the G12M25 I presume is already in the cab.
    The G12M20 came before the 25 and 30, it's all mids and low mids. Early EVH was these speakers.

If you want a more open full frequency sound add a G12H30.
    There are two versions of the G12H30, a 55hz with extra bass and a 75hz with normal bass.
    Hendrix liked the H30 55 hz that came in bass cabs.

I don't really like the M25, and it's worth noting that the 30 is louder and the 20 less loud.
    I'd go for a Heritage G12H30 55hz for the second speaker.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  19. TunaFaceMelt

Just a quick follow up:
    THANK YOU for your advice!
    I was able to find a mint WGS ET65 on Reverb for less than $90 and pulled the trigger. After breaking it in, I feel like I have finally found the lost mojo in my tone I have been searching for. In combo with the Greenback, the tones I'm getting are awesome. All the buzzwords come to mind: more full and round with a bit of extra punch and oomph, retaining clarity all the while. My effects pedals sound better, my guitars sound better. If it could only magically make me play better, then we'd really be on to something...

THANKS!!!!

20. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

There are plenty of good suggestions here.

I have quite a stash of Greenbacks - both 8 ohm and 16 ohm. It may be my favorite speaker. Both 8 ohm and 16 ohm versions have been tried in various amps and in various combinations over the years.

I also have a few of the Eminence Private Jacks. I agree that they aren't exactly a Greenback clone, but I think the Private Jack is an excellent speaker in its own right. I loved the Greenback in my Hot Rod Deluxe, but worried about the 25 watt rating in a 40 watt amp. The Private Jack will handle 50, so it found a home. The Greenback went into my little 15 watt Monoprice, where it sounds excellent.

For an extension cab, I paired up a Greenback with a Celestion G12P-80 in an open back Avatar G212. Many friends were surprised at how good it sounded.

Just my experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.