1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker thread for 5e3

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Jan 22, 2021.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I built my Deluxe several years ago, it was my first amp build. I've got a WGS G12Q in it now. But, the original is a punched galvanneal chassis, nothing fancy, and the inside looks like it was my first amp. So, I'm rebuilding everything in a proper chrome chassis and a nice heart pine cabinet I started a while back.
    Since I'm not having to go deep in the pocket for anything else, my thoughts went to speaker options. I like the G12Q for sure, but it does have a fair bit of it's own kinda ratty breakup at high volume. I've tried a Legend 1258 and loved it, but it's just too loud and too much for me these days.

Listening to the samples on Jensen's site now, I'm really liking what I hear with the P12Q. I already really like the C10Q, and through every amp, guitar, clean, overdrive setting you can pick, those two sound nearly identical throughout.

So, negating any Weber or any other suggestion, for anyone who's tried the G12Q, P12Q, 1258 or any combination of them what are your opinions? For the record, I tried a C12Q a couple years ago, and it was the only speaker I've bought that I just COULD NOT get a sound I liked from it out of any amp. Even with 25-30 hours of break-in time, I didn't like it. It sounded like I had a shelf filter on everything with absolutely no low end.

Also, 90% of my regular playing is 50% of the dial and lower. Not much of the cranked playing happening these days.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If you can find one, what about an Eminence Maverick?

PigBoy likes this.
  3. jsnwhite619

Apparently, I think they quit making them. I was told that by someone recently. I don't know if it's permanent or temporary. Covid shut down Eminence for a while last year and you couldn't find ANY of their speaker anywhere for a minute.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Try and find a vintage alnico speaker or frame. If you want lower efficiency for home cranking. Ribbed 12".

5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200508_085642 1.jpg

jman72 likes this.
  6. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

To me RI P12Q never sounds bad and often it is glorious from low to high volume. But its high volume is lower obviously because of ~94dB sensitivity, or compression, which is noticeable to most other guitar loudspeakers but I like it because I like tube distortion together what it comes with P12Q. I have test all my 12" on 5E3 but P12Q always go back. I would say it has modernized vintage sound and Page, SVR etc. would come good if amp, pedals (and naturally player) sound good :)

WGS G12Q sound also very good on Deluxe.

I have not played Blackbird 40 enough using high volume to say much but at low volume it is loosing "vintage" too much for my liking. But BB40 is different and fulfill the cap somewhere between vintage alnicos and neodyms/BB100. BB40 is bit louder than P12Q which can make it better choise for gig use and sound vise it definitely belongs to Jet series although it looks vintage alnico.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

If you've tried both the Jensen and the G12Q - the latter I already have - how would you compare those two directly? I've never owned an alnico speaker. I like what I hear on the Jensen site - the P12Q specifically sounds better than any of the other 12" vintage speaker samples to me.

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If I ever had another 5e3, I'd build it around a JBL d120. I ran an old EV SRO in mine for a little while, but I don't think it would fit in a stock cab. It helped that amp a lot as it had plenty of low end but contributed zero flub to the 5e3's flabiness. I'd also try an Altec like the 417 speakers Santana was known to use. They are a super under rated speaker. An EVM 12L would also be a good choice.

9. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I still have G12Q but it is boxed now. It was my first 5E3 loudsöeaker and when I bought P12Q I did A/B comparison almost same size open back cabins just changing plugs.

G12Q definitely sound good with 5E3 but obviously the compression effect what ceramics lack makes the advantage for alnico which do compress. Long low notes come stronger out of ceramic but same notes using alnico sound more lively and interesting. On highs alnicos generally are clearer.

I have also Jensen C10R and C10Q ceramics and while they also sound good my life is too short to use them now when I play at home and some low volume group playing. I keep them if I need louder setup where they could be paired with P10R or -F and P12Q to have even more interesting sound.

I bought Celestion Blue because I read so much good of it and it did cost more than double the P12Q and I address it is not bad at all but if I use VFM as one variable Blue was poor buy. Blue needs more volume to really sound good but P12Q sound good quiet to loud, its loud just is not as loud as most because of its low sensitivity and also its compression effect seems stronger that alnicos which have bigger magnets like Blue.

Now I might mess your thoughts more but I must also add that Jensen Tornado Classic is beautiful match with Deluxe and with all amps which sound good but if amp doesn't sound good you can near it.

If someone needs a combo which is light to carry and loud enough I don't know better loudspeaker than Tornado but I have a hunch that Stealth 80 might be even better because its frequency graph show bit more highs which Tornado could have little more.

And like poor amp unfortunately Neodyms also reveal my poor playing technicue which low sensitivity alnicos somewhat hide but when I listened an excellent quitarist test my amps the Tornado did produce nyances what I have always dream to be able to play...

gabasa and D'tar like this.
  10. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

IME, either Celestion Blue (or clones like Weber Blue Dog, Eminence Red Fang, or WGS Black and Blue), or Jensen P12Q. You can usually find one from the 60’s or early 70s, often pulled from organs, and get it reconed. I prefer the P12Q.

11. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I think you owe it to yourself to give a Weber 12A125A at least a listen :).

12A125A – Weber Speakers (tedweber.com)

I switched to one in my homemade 5E3, and it has that "classic 5E3 sound", which is a hackneyed term at best, but it also best describes the "tone" to me ;).

edit: it sounded good the first time I played through it, and it continues to sound better the more I play through it.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have an original p12r in mine and it does that wooly tweed thing when you crank it.
    I also have a 60s Alnico P12Q that will squeeze people into the back of the club...it's articulate and in your face.
    Lots of them in organs and they pop up for sale at wildly varying prices.
    I just missed a cheap one on eBay by not bidding in time.
    I've had various ceramics in it over the years.
    Alnicos get THAT tone...yada yada...
    Ceramics can be very cool and break up a little sooner...isn't that what we all want?

13. jsnwhite619

My hesitance with Weber is through the years, I've noticed that several members here who I typically "agree with" tonally on things have pointed out what they didn't like about them, and it seems that so many people talk about how loud they are. I know where I can find a loud speaker I will love without trying, but trying to go a different route for lower efficiency.

King Fan and old wrench like this.
  14. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I understand better now :).

I've got a 10" version of this one -

12A100 – Weber Speakers (tedweber.com)

and the speaker breakup comes on quite a bit earlier and at a lower overall volume; not as efficient.

I'm not pushing Weber; it's just that I've found that their speakers are relatively cheap and that makes them a little less painful to experiment with, at least for my purposes.

NTC and King Fan like this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

You might consider contacting Eminence and asking them what is the closest to the Fender Special Design that they're putting in the current 57' Custom Deluxe. I have one, and love the sound. Can't imagine ever replacing it. Oh, and it's alnico

16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I and many others will say, "for a 5E3, the Weber 12A125A is hard to beat". It's Weber's take on an old P12Q and to me it just sounds right with that circuit. While Weber doesn't publish the sensitivity of their speakers, I found it to be not nearly as loud as the Celestion Blue I tried, FWIW.

17. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

I ran a 12a125a in my 5e3 for a bit. It is noticeably louder than the G12Q and P12Q that I had in there before. It is a beautiful sounding speaker and it holds together a bit better than the other two. The P12Q is quite a bit lower in volume but it does have a bright clear tone that I do enjoy. I also have tried a 60's P12Q which is very similar to the 12a125a in volume and tone.

There is another speaker that a few folks have spoken highly of but there seems to be very few reviews of it online. It's based on the vintage P12R, has a low sensitivity rating of 93db and is priced right at $99. I have been close to pulling the trigger on it a few times but I already have too many speakers I'm not using.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.co...v-o-r/vor-v12a-25-8-12-alnico-guitar-speaker/

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  18. jsnwhite619

Well, I'm officially a member of the TOO MUCH STUFF club or I'm just an idiot. I clicked the link above and as soon as I saw the speaker, it reminded me of something. Then I went and dug through my storage closet and pulled out a box on the bottom that a buddy gave me a few years ago for some cabinet work I did for him. Totally forgot I had this. So, guess what the first choice is going to be....

IMG_20210123_210800140_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210123_210750129_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210123_210744185_HDR.jpg

dougstrum, dan40, Axis29 and 2 others like this.
  19. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've only had a few speakers in my 5e3. It's a Cox Ultimate 5e3 and came stock with a Celestion Alnico Gold. What a fantastic combo! It sounded really Marshally... I mean in a great way. But, you had to have it cooking to get there. At low volumes, it was really dark and muddy. So much for a grab and go for small jams, or playing at home, quietly.

I got lucky and scored a now discontinued, Eminence 1228. It's the alnico version of the '58 you have... and I had. I liked the 1258 a lot! But, the 1228 is the perfect pairing for a 5e3 as far as I'm concerned. It's also super light compared to the Gold! I have zero interest in looking at other speakers for this amp. If you happen to find one, hop on it! I know I keep an eye out for them.

But, as I recall, those Hellatones got good reviews. Have you tried it yet?

JamesAM and 2L man like this.
  20. Tonemonster

Tonemonster TDPRI Member

Weber blue dog ceramic, g12h30 anniversary, wgs g12c, Jensen 12q... All sound great and have their own.. The cheapest Jensen is at home my fav. Because 94db are better at home. With the anniversary it jumos on the floor

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.