Speaker swap on Bassbreaker 15, thoughts?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I recently acquired a Bassbreaker 15 with the Celestion G12M greenback and it sounds good, but a dark and a tad harsh on the top end. Thinking about putting in a Jensen P12Q that I have sitting around (pulled from a Fender PRRI that now has a GA-SC64).

I am thinking this will brighten it up a bit, be not quite as loud, and lead perhaps to earlier breakup, although not necessarily going for the latter.

Just wondering what others have tried and had good success with. If anything, I'd be going more towards the bassman sound as I really like the tweed sound.

Thanks for your input.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Because, like, none of us have that problem!

JackSparrowProblem.jpg

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I would think the P12Q would sound pretty great with that amplifier. Let us know how it goes!

Just did the swap tonight - a bit mixed on how it sounds. A lot looser in the low end, but more of it. Not quite as tight or focused as with the Celestion and it is brighter. Definitely more bluesy now, less of a modern rock-n-roll amp, which is how I would characterize it with the Celestion.

Still need to play it some more as things sound one way one day and different the next. Gut instinct is the celestion goes back in and the hunt continues. Had high hopes for the Jensen, but I didn't like it in the PRRI so I probably shouldn't be too surprised. Somewhere in between these two is where I think I want to get, but going to give it a bit.

Edit: Swapped back, happier with the Greenback than I am with the P12Q. I think next I am going to try an Eminence GA-SC64 and a Jensen Jet Blackbird, both which are in other amps. If I don't like either of those, then the search is over and the Greenback simply belongs in the amp.

Last edited: