Speaker suggestions for Marshall DSL40C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LKNJ, Jun 9, 2018.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I recently upgraded from a DSL40C to a DSL40CR and now am downgrading back due to switching issues on the CR. The C comes stock with Celestion Secenty 80 speaker, while the CR comes with the Celestion V-Type.

Overall, I like the sound of the CR better as it sounds much smoother. But, I do feel like it’s missing something when compared to the C. Not sure if that’s an issue with the speaker or just a different circuit.

Anyway, I want to swap out the speaker on C as I find the stock S80 to be missing quite a bit of mids and somewhat fizzy on the top end.

I’d like a speaker that can handle cleans, has good mods and lots of bottom end. I know many people are suggesting the Creamback, but that speaker seems to have less bass output than the S70. So does the V Type.

From all the YouTube demos, it seems that the Greenback would be a really good choice, but it’s only rated for 30w, whereas the amp is 40w.

I play mostly in cover bands, 90s and classic rock.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Eminence Tonker

PhredE and LKNJ like this.
  3. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Creamback H.
    WGS makes a 50 watt version of the Reaper that is affordable and sounds good too.

LKNJ likes this.
  4. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Whoa! Looked up some videos and it seems very cool. Have you tried in the DSL40C? Or just like the speaker in general?

5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Is the Reaper mostly a metal speaker? The Creamback H is the one I was talking about above and didn’t realize that there is more than one. The standard Creamback may actually be more up my alley based on videos.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Celestion V type..comes in new 40cr, i just made my dsl40cr into a head and totally woke that amp up with 2 2x12 cabs, i was ready to ditch the amp untill i did this experiment..it radically changed this amp..it a great head at a very usable power rating...i do understand the channel switching thing tho...how many songs do you switch back n forth on ?

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

G12H65 or equivalent. Typical celestion sound, that works well with Marshalls, but the 65 tends to smooth out the highs a little, which IMO, works well with the sometimes thinner, fizzier sounding distortion the DSL's tend to have.

LKNJ likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Did you have it for a while? Marshall amps can be sensitive to preamp settings. I don't own either the C or CR but the youtube vids suggest the new amp sounds better in virtallvi every respect, especially the gain channels.

You have to watch the treble on Marshalls, it's not uncommon to need higher mid and bass settings to get a really saturated clean tone that still cuts. The V type is upper mid hump territory.

LKNJ likes this.
  9. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

I had the C for a while. The CR I had for only a short time. Really like the amp except for the fact that it cuts out for a one count every time you switch channels. Couldn’t make it work.

10. Nick Fanis

It sounds great in any amp I have ever installed it in.

PhredE likes this.
  11. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

More info about the WGS Reaper (HP) here:
    https://wgsusa.com/ReaperHP

I have a different WGS speaker, but like it a lot. I think they are very competitive with Eminence in terms of price, sound, etc.

LKNJ likes this.
  12. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I’ve got a WGS Retro 30 that I’ve had in a couple of amps now, and i really like it.

PhredE likes this.
  13. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

The reaper is WGS version of the G12H30. You can get that in 50 watts and also 55hz. Big bottom clear highs and good mids.

The M creamback has less bass and more mids so that's opposite of what was said in the first post.

14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

I put one of these in my 40C. It was a used speaker most likely broken in. Also tried a Celestion G12T-75 that was used. I tried a new Creamback 75 and a new Celestion V-Type. They were both new and I just didn't think they worked in that amp. Maybe if I had givin' them a chance to break in? I'm stickin with the Mesa ....at least until I get the urge to try....well, I don't know what it will be but I'm sure there will come a time when I get frisky again...LOL

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=292589501812

LKNJ likes this.
  15. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Huh...I got a different sense from video demos. But, I haven’t found one where they do a head to head. So, maybe just a matter the setting and amps used. Thanks for the heads up!

Straydogger likes this.
  16. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Installed the Tonker, and it’s really smoothed out the sound. Really like the way this speaker works with the DSL40C. All the fizz is gone. And, it’s much cheaper than the Creamback. Boy, is it heavy though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nick Fanis likes this.
  17. Nick Fanis

Glad you like it!

Like I said the Tonker sounds killer in any amp from low wattage tweeds to high power Marshalls,Voxes and Boogies.

Think of it as a more "British" EV.

LKNJ likes this.
  18. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

You know, to me it almost makes my Marshall sound somewhat Hiwatt-like. Though, it’s been years since I’ve played one, so can’t vouch for that.

19. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

wanted to weight in after a few months of use. I was using the Tonker for a while. It sounded great at home, especially at low volume. However, tended to get lost in the mix when playing with the band - especially the dirty channel. I switched to a Vintage 30, and boy did it make a difference. I've had the V30 in for the last 2 months. Great match for this amp. Both clean and dirty channels sound great in the mix. The downsides are that it sounds a bit harsh at low volume (Tonker was def better for bedroom use), and it's much heavier than the stock speaker - makes the amp about 10% heavier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.