Speaker suggestions for Deluxe Micro

TeleSlug

TDPRI Member
In summer 2021 I built Rob's Deluxe Micro and since then have been playing through the 8" speaker in my Champ combo. That's been okay.

I had bought an Eminence 620H hemp coned 6" speaker with the idea of converting the Deluxe Micro into a combo, but am having other ideas. I'm wondering if the one 6" speaker will be too teeny to get the most out of the amp.

Here are ideas for your input and I'm sure other suggestions:

- Buy another one of the 6" speakers to double the fun (Note: These now cost way more than I paid)

- Buy a different, less expensive 6" speaker to pair with it

- Buy a 10" speaker (and save the 6" for a different project)

- Leave well enough alone

At some point I'd like to build a Bassman Micro, so I'll throw that in the mix, but that's a ways off.

woodandglue

TDPRI Member
I'm no sonic expert, but I built the same circuit and I do enjoy it with the Jensen 6" in the little head unit I built. That said, just about any speaker that was bigger than a 6" sounded better. I've run it with a Ragin Cajun, and a few 10" and 12" organ pull speakers. The larger speakers do allow it to fart out so if I was going to commit to a cab, I'd fuss with the coupling caps for the right sound. I hope that is helpful!

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Jensen P10R-Fen is sweetest sounding speaker for tweed amps when it is not overloaded past 10...12W. Especially its low volume is better than any other I have compared. Its low sensitivity of only 92.5db must have an effect.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I'm using a 10" 30w Greenback in one and a Jensen p10r 25w in my other micro Deluxe, they both work well but the Jensen is my favourite tho I'd say a distortion pedal works better with the Greenback.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
I use Jensen 10" speakers ( MOD series, it's a personal thing ) with my little amps.
A 2x6" mini combo would float my boat though. A 4x6" Bassman combo?, now that's cooler than a penguin's bits :)

Pair it up. Two speakers have a magic about them that one larger speaker can't capture.

TeleSlug

TDPRI Member
Thanks for all the ideas. I play mostly clean and with minimal pedals so it sounds like if I go with the 10" then Jensen is a clear favorite. That was winning out, but then . . .

I was poking around the Tube Depot offerings and saw this 6" speaker from Eminence. That seems like a great deal and like @VintageSG points out the two speakers could be really cool.

SerpentRuss

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
In summer 2021 I built Rob's Deluxe Micro and since then have been playing through the 8" speaker in my Champ combo. That's been okay.

I had bought an Eminence 620H hemp coned 6" speaker with the idea of converting the Deluxe Micro into a combo, but am having other ideas. I'm wondering if the one 6" speaker will be too teeny to get the most out of the amp.

Here are ideas for your input and I'm sure other suggestions:

- Buy another one of the 6" speakers to double the fun (Note: These now cost way more than I paid)

- Buy a different, less expensive 6" speaker to pair with it

- Buy a 10" speaker (and save the 6" for a different project)

- Leave well enough alone

At some point I'd like to build a Bassman Micro, so I'll throw that in the mix, but that's a ways off.
If you're not worried about size, I can honestly say that the Electro Harmonix low-power (30 watt) 12-inch punches way about its price($35). We have one in an extension cabinet and it gets used constantly. It is not very efficient, so if you're trying to maximize the punch of your micro, this is not the speaker for you. That said, it has a rich low end, great for single coils. You can order one from Guitar Center and have it delivered to your local store for free if you have one.