1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker suggestions for 68cdr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Colt m423, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I'm not sure if I need to replace the speaker or not. Im open to suggestions.

I have the neo creamback version. Im not 100% happy with the tone. Then again it could not be broken in fully yet. I have owned it half a year.

I've tweeked, and tweeked. My pedals sound good through the amp, but I still some what feel it should be better.

The amp is not giving me the 60s-70s classic/outlaw country tones I was expecting. Or even the classic rock tones.
    It seems to be a very full sounding speaker. Instead of my tele sounding twangy and mean, it sounds sterile and full. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just not what I'm going for.

Im running a roadworn 50s with Seymour Duncan antiquity 55 in bridge. Stock pickup in neck. For some reason that pickup swap made my middle position out of phase sounding. But thats a different issue. I think that comes down to the shops in my area that I dont have 100% confidence in.

Im trying to get those classic merle tones. But im also chasing this newish nasty twangy tele sound i keep hearing. I can almost get their with my pedal board. But I feel for a 1300$ amp it should be better than this. Any help is appreciated.

Plus im saving for a 2019-2020 les paul 59 reissue . I feel the bass will be to much for humbuckers ( could be wrong)

I have amps in my studio ranging from 40s- modern day. But I bought this amp specifically for a reliable workhorse all around tone machine. So far thats not the case. But its close!

My next purchase will prob be a dr z z lux or more British sounding model.

2. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I think you want any vintage American style speaker in there really. The CDR sounds a bit fatter to me than typical bf/sf but should still get the time you describe.

I like the Weber 12F125, 12F150, or a Swamp Thang. I think the cheap Emi 1258 is great and really underrated too.

Colt m423 likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The CDR has different characteristics in the two channels. Have you tried it through the other channel? It sounds to me like you might prefer the 65 reissue.

4. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I've honestly been thinking I made the wrong choice, and should have got the 65dr. I figured well whitey morgan used the twin version of the 68 custom. For sure the deluxe must be great too. I do like my tone through it. But I want better. The never ending battle of tone.

5. Dacious

Try the 'Normal' channel. I'd also look into the Emi Alessandro speaker. I.have the 10" version and it's warm, yet sparkly with great detail. You should be able to move your Celestion at a near straight changeover rate.

BlueCajun likes this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Alessandro is going in the dark direction, as I imagine the Creamback is also.

Colt m423 likes this.
  7. Dacious

I can't speak to the 12" but if it's like the 10" I would describe it as toppier than the Creamback.

8. Phrygian77

9. Dacious

Is this meant to be dark? I'm only listening through earbuds on my smartphone.

Apart from the first bit with tremolo, it sounds pretty bright to me. It's in a BF Princeton or possibly reissue which is different sounding to a CDR I heard, and I don't know what mods are in the amp but I'm not hearing dark there.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The regular creamback is pretty good. I would think the NEO version might be a tad more harsh.
    I love Alnicos...have gold in one..that is prett decent. Blue would be better, but afraid
    I might pop it...
    For old Fender chime , however, probably stick to a ceramic, like the C12N or any of the other versions.

Colt m423 likes this.
  11. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I have been looking at alnicos. Just trying to find a speaker that has that 60s-70s fender quality to it. I thought I would like the neo creamback, since I've heard nothing but good things about the alnico and regular cream back. I do think it's rather dark for this amp. I like a good amount of bass and tremble. But with this amp. Even with the bass turned all the way off. All it does is make your tone muddy . You need to run it at atleast 4. And i need to run my treble around 6 1/2 - 7 to get that top end sparkle. Ik its a modified reissue. But im going for that late 60s- 70s fender bell like chime. Maybe I just have to deal with this, until I buy a better amp I dont know.

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

The custom channel is a tweed bassman circuit. Sounds like a tweed reissue to me. Its way darker than the vintage channel. But the vintage channel is way darker than real silver faces ive played through.

13. Phrygian77

I don't mean really dark. Just subtle by comparison. I personally like the Eminence GB128 in these amps. It's got a little more upper midrange.

14. Phrygian77

This is the same amp with a GB128...

15. Dacious

Well because it's a band mix it's kinda hard to gain a comparison. I'd personally be happy with either of those tones in a PR. I'm still not hearing much difference in brightness.

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.