1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker storage question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Nick c, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Nick c

Nick c TDPRI Member

I just removed 2 12" Oxford speakers from a 66' Pro reverb to replace with webers. The speakers are in amazing condition. Anything I need to know about keeping them in storage? Or should I just sale them to someone who can use them?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Put em in a box. Keep em dry. If some fool comes along and offers you $100 a piece id sell them fast. terrible sounding speakers to my ear. Eminence GB128 is my current fav for fenders.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I'd hold on to them in case you ever resell the amp. They should be fine stored in a box in any temperature controlled room.

slider313 likes this.
  4. Nick c

Nick c TDPRI Member

Great thanks guys

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

If not in a warm house seal them in a plastic bag. BTW, I had a 68 Pro Rev with those. I sent them in to a guy that does accurate recones. I had speakers to use in the interim. When they came back they were amazing! It really surprised me. Big bold and clean with big bottom end too. Many people diss the "Oxfarts" But everyone is experiencing 50 year old speakers!

Greggorios likes this.
  6. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i cut a piece of cardboard to cover the speaker cone and use ties to tie it thru the speaker mounting holes. further protection from damage and dust and dirt.

keep them to eventually sell with the amp.

play music!

Milspec and Greggorios like this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Am I thinking right that Oxfords became Oxfarts sometime after 1966?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

not everyone dislikes them. i have the originals in my 75 vibro champ and 76 champ and they sound great. maybe the amps were just well kept and the cones didn't dry out or, they didn't dime the amps day and night wearing them out. i've tried a new weber in each and only noticed that they were louder but didn't sound any better.

play music!

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Common sense can tell you what to do. Are you sure the Weber speakers will sound better to your ears? They'll probably be more efficient. Great for headroom. Bad if you want them to break up at a tolerable volume. So save the boxes they came in. For storage, speakers like the same conditions that make us comfortable. If the Oxfords fit in the Weber boxes use them. Store the speakers in the living area of your house where temperature and humidity are well controlled. Put them on a shelf in a closet that gets opened regularly. Don't store speakers in the garage or basement and don't put them up in the attic.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I mount them to a 1/4 inch square of plywood so the speaker cones stay protected and dust free. They sit in a moving box after that closed up on a shelf next to my amps.

mherrcat and King Fan like this.
  11. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have found the Post Office large priority mail boxes are perfect for 12" speakers.
    Thanks john

Milspec and King Fan like this.
  12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

This is a good way to ship speakers, too. Almost no chance someone can put their foot or anything else through the speaker cone.

Milspec likes this.
  13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

IT depends on the individual speakers as hopefully read in following posts.

I've had original 12's in Deluxe Reverbs (including my '66) that have been tremendous. Same with the original 10's in my '62 Concert.

muscmp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.