Speaker repair?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Alamo, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The 12" driver of one of our monitor wedges didn't survive the last gig.
    when is it worth to even think about repairing a speaker?
    it's an Eminence speaker and a replacement from Hughes & Kettner service is around 111€.

1-IMG_20191207_135951.jpg
    1-IMG_20191207_140017.jpg 1-IMG_20191207_143747.jpg

is it worth the hassle or should we just buy a new one?

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

telemnemonics and Alamo like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The question of whether or not it is sensible to recone would depend upon the cost of the recone versus the price of a quality 300-400 watt speaker in your part of the world for that application. A new Delta 12A, now a 400 watt speaker, is $89.99 here.

uriah1, Alamo and 24 track like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I basically choose based on cost and time but including possibly buying an inferior replacement or getting an inferior recone. Did it blow from wattage or get a hole poked in it by the drummer?

Wally and Alamo like this.
  5. Alamo

Thanks for your input guys.
    just talking about the issue already helps.
    after some more research, I've come to the conclusion that buying a new emi Delta A is the way to go.
    the old one was an OEM version, not a vintage "must have". Price of reconing and postage just adds up to the price of a new one - give or take a few bucks.
    The drummer is innocent :lol: 'twas the singer going for obnoxious levels, he was killing me from the start.
    I saw the clipping red light of the PA from accross the stage and warned the guitarist next to the board.
    but.... he just shrugged his shoulders.
    well then, learn and pay.

telemnemonics, rolandson and 24 track like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Learn and pay?? Ime, those who don’t pay certainly do not learn..or care...about abuse of equipment. Is this going to be a shared expense among the band? If not and if I own the speakers, then I get to say that the red clipping light cannot be allowed to be seen. Ommv.....

muscmp, telemnemonics and Alamo like this.
  7. Alamo

The speakers belong to the other guitarist who shrugged shoulders.
    the singer already offered to pay some of the expenses. we'll talk about how much next week.
    this was a clear exhibition of stupidity and ignorance, so hopefully he'll learn through paying.

clipping red lights is a no go for me. I also do PA dutys at a small bar and I care to keep our nice Pa in a good shape.
    also the ears of the attending folks.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Contact Eminence, it may be cheaper rather from H&K. There must be Emi dealers in Germany? Often the original makers of gear charge more for purchased items. It doesnt take a killer heavy duty speaker for monitors. I have used a guitar speaker if you have one around. But most PA speakers have a warm tone to them.

Alamo likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In the states, an Eminence delta 12a is about $90.00, whereas the most recent recone I'm experienced with (of a speaker worth reconing, which I'm not certain the delta 12a is) was $$65 plus shipping out of southern California.

You do the math based upon German prices, but if it were mine...
    the singer will have bought themselves a blown speaker for the price of the new replacement. If the singer wants to recone it for their car or home, great.

Alamo likes this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately that would be the going price o/s - a speaker recone would probably be as much.

Tried local eBay? Sometimes you can luck out.

Emi deltas are good speakers, so if you cooked a coil you're lucky it didn't take out a power amp too. I would say your singer gets to pay for any new ones.

Being a floor monitor they're not real acoustic enclosures so you could probably get away with a cheap driver like a P-audio.

Or just buy anything 12", 8 ohms and 400w secondhand. I found a local speaker coner years ago, but it's likely to be lineball for price.

Alamo likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to freak out when some dummy put a beer on my 100w Marshall so if it tipped over it dumped cold beer on the hot tubes!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.