Speaker recommendations for 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

krb813

TDPRI Member
Any good recommendations for a replacement speaker for my 68 Deluxe? I‘m not a fan of the Celestion in there right now.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
I can’t comment on the 68 but I had a 65 DRRI with a Jensen P12Q in it and it sounded great. Very warm but snappy in the mids, tight lows, overall just very creamy and balanced. But again, not sure how it’d do in the 68.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
I can’t comment on the 68 but I had a 65 DRRI with a Jensen P12Q in it and it sounded great. Very warm but snappy in the mids, tight lows, overall just very creamy and balanced. But again, not sure how it’d do in the 68.
Oh and it sounded amazing when pushed into breakup.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Any good recommendations for a replacement speaker for my 68 Deluxe? ...

I think there are - generally - two schools of thought in regard to the "proper" speaker for a DR.

Some think the DR needs a loud, tight speaker to really shine (i.e. make it louder and cleaner for live-use), while others think that the "weak" speakers of old (lower-grade Jensens and Oxfords) are key to the sound of a Deluxe.

It would be helpful to know which camp you´re in
👍

cheers - 68.

krb813

TDPRI Member
Hi!

I think there are - generally - two schools of thought in regard to the "proper" speaker for a DR.

Some think the DR needs a loud, tight speaker to really shine (i.e. make it louder and cleaner for live-use), while others think that the "weak" speakers of old (lower-grade Jensens and Oxfords) are key to the sound of a Deluxe.

👍

cheers - 68.
I’m an at home player mainly. I do take it out to play with friends every once in a while. So, volume restrictions are not a big deal.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
If you can find an Alltone 1250 ceramic, grab it. That's the best ceramic speaker I've tried in a DR. For a rather different, and IMO very fine flavor, try a Weber 12A150 alnico, the one Ted Weber created for the Fender tweed twin RI.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
You can NEVER go wrong with a vintage Jensen C12N.
Yes, that´s what I was going to say ;)
If I were in the US I´d go for a vintage Jensen - C12R, C12Q, C12P, C12N...
All of them will complement the amp well and give you a "special" sound.
On this side of the great pond (Europe) the supply of vintage American speakers is rather scarce - but I got hold of a vintage C12Q for my ´65 DRRI, and the amp sounds better than ever 👍

cheers - 68.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I have a '65 DRRI and I am a fan of the Eminence GA-SC64 (Allesandro) and Celestion Gold. I felt like the Celestion put it out front just a tad bit more, but those two speakers weren't too far off. The Celestion was broken in, but the Allesandro was not.

That Eminence speaker is a very worthy consideration.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I don't know what kind of music you play, or which Celestion you have, but it's dang hard to beat a G12M Greenback. In my estimation, it is THE rock 'n roll speaker, and pretty good at most everything else. On the other hand, I don't care for the higher power rating Celestions at all.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Hi!

👍

cheers - 68.

Good post. I'll say that these days, I think I'm moving into the second camp - lighter magnet, smaller voice coil diameter, thinner cones = closer to the speakers (many of which I'm sure were Oxfords) used on the classic recordings I'm looking to for inspiration.

I like the Jupiter "Small Ceramic" series right now for that kinda sound. Check out the 12SC.

Last edited:

slider313

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If you want to keep the amp in the more "traditional sounding" camp, then the Weber 12F150"S" at 50 watts with light doping of the surround would be a great choice. It has a 10 ribbed pulp cone similar to the late 50's P12N and an early 60's C12N. It's warmer and less strident than the other "150" types Weber offers.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yep. The C12N or Weber copy will put the American chime in it. There are a lot
of threads here on it. I ended up with higher watt 90w Celestion cream
Wish I didn't sell it now.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!

I think the Jupiter 12LC or the WGS G12C (and many others...) are fine speakers - but they´re also very LOUD.
When I play my Deluxe I want as much natural overdrive from the amp as I can get - so I prefer weaker/less efficient speakers.
Had to sell both speakers mentioned above because they´re way too loud for my needs ;)

We still don´t know what the OP wants to achieve...
Like, what he doesn't´t like about the current speaker and what type of sound he´s after...

cheers - 68.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
How about the Cannabis Rex 12”. Thoughts on that one? I want to take down the highs a tiny bit with a clean tight low end.

There is a fine line between Fender sparkle and Fender ice pick. I swapped my Blues Junior over to a C-Rex about a week after I bought it and the hemp cone does a pretty good job of keeping things within reason.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
I don't care for the Celestion in my '68 CDR either. I have run it through the Weber 12F150 in my '66 BFDR and it is to me a much better match. I have one on the shelf that I can put in there, so many amps, so many things to try out