Speaker recommendations for 2x10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leftfoot1381, Jan 21, 2020.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I have been barking about Webers here for a long while.

Had a few Californias as well, 12 and 15s. Also had an 12A150 for a while. I could not get any response from that one I could live with after many amps tried in. I liken this to me, perhaps just too accurate response that couldn't cover my amateur fingers. One of the few I fought and lost...

Kind of like my first Tele in early 80s. After playing years on Hot Humbuckers I had similar result with a stock 76 Tele. At least I got that combated next time around 20 years later, the 12A150, not so much. I forget how that one was ordered though. But I got it from a Nashville player that tried it in his Brown Deluxe, and he didn't keep it long either. That was Ford Thursten fwiw.

Excuse the thread drift, kinda still semi on topic re:weber content...

2. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 Tele-Meister

Mixing the WGS speakers intrigues me, I might get ahold of them and see what they say. The creamback 10’s also interest me since I have a creamback 12 in another amp and it sounds great both clean and dirty. I also feel I would be doing myself a disservice by not contacting Weber, even though I hated the only other Weber speaker I ever used. I think it is worth mentioning that is probably more my fault (bad choice) than theirs:

3. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

If you are looking used, try searching for some 90s Fender/Eminence Blue Alnico Speakers. I have them in my 2x10 Vibrolux and they are fantastic. Nearly everytime I use that amp, I get compliments on my tone! They are a really good fit for Bassmans and Vibroluxes.

JustABluesGuy and leftfoot1381 like this.
  4. robt57

I think the 90s ones are paper formers VS kapton after 2002 or so?. These are what my blueframes I had paired one with the 10F150T. I had a quad I pulled out of a 90s ProTube Fender Super to hoard.

Distinction being IMO the paper former have sound and response which I like and is noticeably better.

It should be noted the kapton ones take more watts and will stand up to cranked beatings longer/better without question.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  5. AlbertoMilanese

I do have the paper ones - however a friend of mine has a 2003 or 2004 model which sounds eeriely similar to my Vibrolux, big and with a certain roar. When I see him again, I will definitely check if these are the same or different speakers.

6. robt57

Just hoping to interject a take away that the kapton former version will sure take being overdriven a lot better in the longevity dept. Heat would be a lot less likely to warp the former, or rather to allow the heated coil of copper to allow the former to dis-form. ;)

I personally could hear the difference and preferred the paper former versions. Having said that, in the mix of a band where you are pushing them to a point this matters, it is doubtful even the most discerning TDPRI ear could discern a difference.

But for mic-ing either to a PA or perhaps more-so in the Studio, it could matter. I would be convinced in my mind that it would. But again 99-44/100% in the audience will be impacted far more by the energy in a performance certainly and IMO.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  7. AlbertoMilanese

That may very well be! I used my Vibrolux primarily as a studio amp in recent years with only the occasional gigs in between (it's a weight thing, I'm afraid!). In fact, if I can get a hold of the kapton former one I'd now really like to do an A/B recording with both of them miked exactly the same! Someday...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.