Speaker recommendations for 2x10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leftfoot1381, Jan 21, 2020.

1. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 Tele-Meister

So I took my bassman to the tech last week. He suggested swapping out the original oxford 10s since they are still in good shape. So I am looking for recommendations for speakers for a 2x10 closed back cabinet( tremolux cab) for an AA864 bassman. Going to be using it mainly for country and blues with mostly a tele or a les Paul. I am definitely not a speaker expert so any help is appreciated.

2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Are you looking to keep the same sound and efficiency and just preserve the originals or wanting to move in a different direction tonally? There's a nearly infinite number of choices out there today and I haven't kept up. No doubt many great recommends coming. But Weber has always had an amazing selection of quality vintage replica speakers and the Legend series from Eminence are tops to me. If it were me I might look for a pair of era-correct Jensen C10Qs with a recone or use the pair of C10Ns in my attic.

Dukex and Crawldaddy like this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

I don't know what you are looking for.
    I recently built an open back 2x10 for a 64 showman It has the 8 ohm OT. I wanted inefficient speakers to tame the volume. I also wanted to tame the heavy bass inherent in the showman.

I chose jensen mod 10-35 8ohm 94.1db 1watt/mtr. In series they provide a 16 ohm load, so I am able to pull two of the power tubes. Two 6l6 puts the showman in the ballpark with the bassman. It has tamed the bass response to an extent. Used it for a church gig and ran it at two on the volume dial. It is still a loud puppy. The speakers are new so things will change as they break in. It sounds more like a typical fender amp now. With other speakers it sounds like the surfer showman it is known for. The other speakers -
    15" jbl d130f in original tone ring cab.
    12" Eminence v128 in open back 1x12.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Emi GA10

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Or sell me the Tremolux cab and let me help you fund a 2x12 cab ;D

Greggorios likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Maybe a couple golds if you have the change.
    The new 10creambacks or weber a10125.
    Bassman may be a lot for 2x10 unless you
    have something to handle.
    Make sure you wire in correct series/paralel

Greggorios and leftfoot1381 like this.
  7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Emi alnico 10

8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

The really intriguing thing for me is the idea of two different speakers that compliment each other and generally emphasize sonic characteristics that the other may lack.

Dukex and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have a Weber 10A125 paired with a Weber 10F150. It's a fairly popular combo.

10. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

For country, it's hard to go wrong with a Warehouse G10C. https://wgsusa.com/g10c
    It sounds great, and it over-performs in the bass frequencies department (which is always welcome in a 10 inch speaker.)

Two of those would probably do just fine for ya, but, if you want to add a little more attitude to your rig for the blues and/or blues-rock sounds, you could also throw in one of the speakers from the "British Invasion" series at Warehouse. Just make sure that it's rated at a high enough wattage so that you don't blow it out when it's running in parallel with that G10C.

Dukex, AlbertaGriff and leftfoot1381 like this.
  11. leftfoot1381

I am not 100% sure what I am looking for either really. Probably mainly because I haven’t spent a ton of time with the amp and don’t have much of a frame of reference when it comes to different speaker types. I think for this cabinet I would like to stay more towards the traditional fender sound but I don’t want an excessively bright ice picky type speaker either.

12. leftfoot1381

Haha, if I decide to sell you’ll be the first to know.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. leftfoot1381

Me too actually, but ,my lack of speaker knowledge scares me about trying that. Lol

JuneauMike likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I'm partial to alnicos:

Celestion Gold 10"

[​IMG]

Jensen P10R:

[​IMG]

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you have a 2ohm output tap?

Unless you can find 4ohm 10" speakers to equal 2 ohm in parallel or change your output transformer you are going to alter the sonics of your Bassman by mismatching impedance.

Fender usually stipulates a 100% mismatch in impedance is OK but it's not recommended.

That's why you don't see people doing this with Tweed Bassmans much. You will also cut power probably 10-15watts going into a bigger impedance load.

If you were to, I'd recommend checking out the new Eminence Alessandro speakers in alnico tophats.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.co...0-alnico-guitar-speaker-by-george-alessandro/

16. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

You can spend a lot more but the legend series 1028 alnico or 1058 ceramic from eminence is awesome and cheap. 1028 is 35 watts so 70 total might not be enough. One of each is a favorite of many but you would have the same potential wattage problem. The 1058 are 75 watts each so two of those would be fine.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I won't hold my breath because I know you'll cling to that cab, as indeed you should, but it's nice of you ;D

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  18. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you plan on pushing your amp hard, many feel that alnico speakers don't like being in closed back cabs. I found out the hard way about the potential for alnico speakers blowing in a closed back cab by using a 100 watt Fane AXA-12 in a Tremolux Tone Ring Cab. It sounded really good before the 35 watt Tremolux blew it after a 1/2 hour playing. Even though the speaker had 3x the power handling of the amp, my amp tech then informed me that alnico speakers in closed back cabs aren't really great idea if speaker longevity is the primary goal. At least it wasn't the Tremolux(that amp is still alive & kicking) After the early 60's Fender closed back cabs that used Oxford alnicos, when were alnicos offered as stock speakers in their closed back cabs? Fender gave up on them in closed back cabs by 61/62 though a few of the PA cabs came with Rola or CTS alnico. Marshall didn't use them much besides the early combo amps. Hiwatt? Ampeg? Okay the Univox amps of the early 70's used CTS alnico speakers-are they really very renowned as amps?

After blowing up that $250 Fane speaker, I will simply never cross the alnico speaker in a fully closed back cabinet rubicon again. I would use alnico speaker in a ported cab though(I do use an older EV SRO in a Thiele-it sounds really great). I wouldn't think about using them in closed back unless they were an Altec 417 or JBL K. Some of the newer alnico designs are probably a bit more robust as are the voice coils, so I am probably wrong about some of the 21st Century alnico designs. I wouldn't think about a pair of Emi 1028 in a closed back as being a good choice for a Bassman though I love them in many amps(they are in 4 of my low powered combo amps). I would go with a pair of Tone Tubby 40/40 10 inch for an off the shelf speaker. The 40/40 speakers are really great for clean headroom. Someone mentioned the Emi 1058 which is a good cheap option-a pair of them would handle a Bassman amp with ease. A pair of used Celestion G10-50 would also be a good choice. I have a Marshall 4x10 with a quad of those that sounds great with about every amp I throw at it. They are more difficult to source.

Gris and leftfoot1381 like this.
  19. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    My vote Weber 10A125, light dope and pre broken in by Weber. 20 and 30Watt options.

20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd call Weber and ask 'for your desired voice' what 2 will do it. For me it is an Alnico and a 10F150T. I have used both P-10 R out of a 90s Bassman 410 and Blue frame Eminence with same great results along with the 10F150T.

The 210 open back cab has had the 10F150T and the P10 RI for over a decade.

Just putting this out there for your consideration. I have been here for a long time and repeat this now and again. Been a constant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.