Speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leftfoot1381, May 14, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My neighbor/friend has an Emi big magnet 12 I tested a couple weeks ago. It's not loud and not spikey on the top end at all. I kinda liked it for taming the amp. He wants to sell it but with shipping these days, it makes little sense to sell a heavy speaker except locally. I can't remember what model, maybe a Tonker or maybe something else. I think it's a cast frame speaker.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

The Maverick is the American voiced one. I own both. I’m using the Reignmaker with my 2 watt Greta right now. I turn it down to play with the TV on, and crank it a bit when the guys come over.

I forgot to mention, they are great sounding speakers as well.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

can't go wrong with a greenback.
    both creambacks are awesome too, but you will probably want the g12m-65 and not the g12h-75, because the 65 is rated a little less efficient.

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  4. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

I have a 65 creamback in my Marshall. Might try it with that speaker and see what it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Yes, you are correct. I don't know what I was thinking with that one, LOL.

schmee likes this.
  6. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

This is the first I have heard of the Eminence FDM speakers. I might have to look into the Maverick. I like the sound of the CR, and if I was gigging the amp regularly I would leave it in there. It is just so much louder than the Weber and adds so much bottom end it is a little too much for home. I was thinking about trying a greenback or a WGS derivative just because the amp gets that whole marshally thing going on when it is cranked and since the GB are 25 watt speakers it might be a good match. But I don't have much experience with different speakers so I thought it was best to ask for opinions. A little back story on the amp: it is in a 1x12 pine cabinet my dad made. The cab is semi open and it is made to the same size as a Tonedog cabinet except the measurements are flipped so it is higher rather than wider. I think it gives it a much bigger sound than what an all original PJ would have. The whole thing weighs about 30 lbs(depending on the speaker) which makes it nice and portable. Here she is:
    [​IMG]

7. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.