1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker Question relating to EVM12L or similar for HRDlxe Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Doug_GTR, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Doug_GTR

Doug_GTR TDPRI Member

Speaker Question relating to EVM12L or similar for HRDlxe Amp

Has anyone compared guitar amp speakers such as the EVM 12L to the Weber Michigan Alnico 12, or Weber Califonia Alnico 12. I am thinking about trying a different speaker or speakers in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (which has been modded to reduce overwhelming bass and low-mids). The EVM 12L is a 200 watt speaker where as my amp is 40 tube watts. The Webers are closer at 60 watts. However I am not looking for speaker breakup, so I am guessing the 200 watt speaker in the 40 watt amp would not be an issue. I want all my overdrive to come from preamp or OD pedals and picking attack. This way my sound will be more consistent rather than having to rely on driving a speaker to a certain point to start break-up as well as dealing with how it may change as it ages over time. I am mainly going for the Pete Anderson (former guitarist for Dwight Yoakam) tone, which is Country/Rockabilly/Blues twang with punch, warmth and depth.
    Thanks

2. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Hey Doug,

Do a search for the thread titled "Any Electrovoice Love Out There?" We talked about that subject for a LONG time. There are pictures of Pete Anderson's Deluxe reverb there with EV 12L in it (now owned by one of our forum mates).

Geno

3. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Tele-Meister

Its actually a EVM 12S The S is different from the L. They are very similer sounding however, close enough I think. [​IMG]

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It sounds like you want the ceramic Cali 12.

While many alnicos don't exhibit heavy cone breakup, they still tend to compress like mad - in essence, you still aren't hearing overdrive from the amp or pedals...

The ceramic Cali's will cover the tones you are seeking, IMO.

5. Doug_GTR

Doug_GTR TDPRI Member

Yea ceramic Michigan 12 or ceramic Cali 12 (which are 100 watt not 200 watt) would probably be the way to go if not the genuine EVM12L. I believe the EVM is ceramic anyways, if I am not mistaken. Why would you say Cali over Michigan? I believe the Michigan is supposed to be Weber's version of an EVM.
    Thanks

Thanks Big Wht Tele, for sharing the photo of Pete's old DR. Even though it had a EVM12S, Pete says he uses the EVM12L nowdays. I will probably end up putting an EVM in it, but just considering the other less expensive options also. What type dome does the EVM have? And what would be the difference between cloth versus aluminum dome option offered on the others? Since I did the mod to reduce the overwhelming bass and low-mids it actually sounds pretty good with the stock speaker, but you know how we tone dawgs are always after the very best tone we can attain. I looked up that other thread that was mentioned. It was interesting but didn't really answer my questions.
    Thanks.

6. 65flh5326

65flh5326 Banned

The EVM12S is no longer made. The EVM speakers I have seen have a paper dome.
    I would like to try the Weber speakers. I doubt they would be the same as the EVM has a larger voice coil 3" vrs 2 1/2", 16lb magnet vrs 5lbs and a cast aluminum frame. The magnet is so heavy, it would distort a pressed steel frame as the Weber. The 12" EVM weighs close to 19lbs!

Thanks,
    Don

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Eminence makes an EVM type speaker. It's the Delta Pro 12-A rated at 400 watts. And there's also the EVM Classic by Electro Voice.

8. 11 Gauge

Because it does what you ask - stays clean and clear, so you can hear the amp and pedals.

It also seems to have a proven track record - there are quite a few guitarists who swear by them. I like lots of different types of speakers, but for big balanced cleans from a speaker that simply won't cave in, the ceramic Cali's are simply the best speaker for the money, period, IMO.

For folks who loved the old JBL's, the Cali's simply do not disappoint, IMO.

Not trying to take anything away from the EV's - my only gripe is that their design is overkill, IMO. But if you have a history of blowing out speakers, I could see why they would be the default speaker of choice.

9. 65flh5326

65flh5326 Banned

I can speak from experience that the EVMs do not sound like JBLs, not even close.
    I have had JBL signature series in a SF Twin I sold to a friend, the amp is here now. Plugging the JBLs into my favorite amp, a 63 Bassman, they do not sound the same as the EVMs and not near as good to me, and that is just me.
    The all time worst speakers "in my opinion" I have tried is the Oxfords in a 65 showman cab that is here also,"dreadful".
    The EVMs either you like them or you dont, and many just dont. I have to use them however, because thats what I am looking for in tone.

Thanks,
    Don

10. 11 Gauge

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that the two sounded the same. Given the vast differences in construction, I don't see how they could.;)

Any speaker preference is a personal thing. That said, there is a segment of guitarists who love the tone of the old JBL's. Since that's the case, I'm extremely grateful that Weber is making replicas of them.

I also see that EV is reissuing at least one of it's guitar speakers, so there must be enough guitarists who dig them as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.