1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker Queation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tle4, May 23, 2014.

1. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up a 65 Jensen P12R alnico speaker. I was wondering if anyone knew the wattage it could handle. I was thinking of putting it in with a WGSET65 speaker in my 68 Pro Reverb. Will this speaker be ok in this amp?

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinkin' 25 watts, but I'm not totally confident in that...however I'm inclined to think that what ever it is is not enough for a pro reverb. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable can better assist you.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You can google the rating s for P12P, P12Q, P12R, P12N, I'm not sure which is which.
    But more importantly that old speaker may no longer handle anywhere near its rated power.
    I would not count on it for higher vol gigging, you could always see how it holds up in a test, but heat of prolonged playing can melt the primitive glue even if it sounded fine for an hour...

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1. Probably not enough wattage to handle the job, the old chart says 12 watts and the reissues say 25
    2. Handling may have reduced over time
    3. Wouldn't want to push it with a valuable vintage speaker and amp
    4. Probably wouldnt keep up with the ET65 volume wise in any case.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I bet that's a 55 instead of a 65 as far as I know Jensen was making just the C (ceramic) speakers in the mid 60s. (I could be wrong)
    Anyway in a Pro I think your next thread will be "who's a good reconer".

6. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

If you pair an old P12R with the WGS speaker in a Pro Reverb you will:
    a. not hear the P12R over the WGS, and
    b. promptly blow the P12R

Save the P12R for a 5E3.

7. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks... I was thinking it was a 25 watt speaker. If it is really 12, I don't think I will put in in the pro. I guess maybe I will put it back up for sale ir trade for something with a little more power

8. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Lose the P12R. Weak. Inefficient. Thin.

9. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

After looking into the speaker some more, I noticed this speaker is a P12RJS. From what I found on the web, the P12RJ is a little bitt more beefier than a P12R. I read it had a 1.5" voice coil as opposed to the 1" on a P12R. I found a P12RJ for sale and they where guessing it could be more like 20 watts instead of the 12 of the P12R.

Does anyone know what the S means now?

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

According to Jensen you want the speaker rated 2x the power of the amp. So I would not personally put anything less then a 40 watt Jensen in that amp (212 right?). You got to remember your 40 watt amp is pushing more then 40 watts at the end of the day.

All manufacturers are different in how they rate their speakers. You can put a 65 watt Celestion in a 65 watt amp. WGS, not really sure if their clones are rated like the real speaker. They have a really good forum that you can get your WGS questions answered usually in 24 hours.

Now if your never going to turn it up past 2 on the dial, you might be alright using a lower rating speaker. But if you crank it, forget about it.

11. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Yea.... I have pretty much decided to sell or trade the speaker and not put it in my Pro Reverb. Now I am just looking to know all I can about the speaker so I know what to tell a potential buyer...I wish I still had a little 5 watt amp that I could try it out in

Other info I have found is saying that the J means it is a wider range speaker and has more mids and bass than the P12R.... Still cant find anything on what the S means

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.