Speaker polarity ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mfa88, Aug 5, 2020.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

“Life is very short, and there's no time
    For fussing and fighting, my friend
    I have always thought that it's a crime
    So, I will ask you once again...

We can work it out
    We can work it out...”

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure if you were referring to my repeated posting?
    I was not saying red to tip so maybe it was some other members repeated posting.
    I also was not saying it hadn’t been answered, merely pointing out that your claim that post #7 answered the question was misleading and seldom true.
    I did mention the desert island though, so I guess you mixed me up with the red to tip ranting member?

The whole concept of saying “it doesn’t matter”, rather than offering the more informative answer, just drives me crazy!
    Sorry!

As I said several times, same as your closing sentence, battery.
    “You need to check” is not the same as “it doesn’t matter”.

3. EmWeAh

EmWeAh Tele-Meister

Note to self: start a thread titled "do amps with an even number of gain stages sound (really) better?"... :D

tubegeek and King Fan like this.
  4. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

I must be mixing up two people then, sorry about that. If you're the "nobody answered the question" guy but not the "red to tip is all you need" guy then that's my bad.

I'm afraid I still disagree with you though. You are also mixing up two different things. You said:

Show me one post where it was claimed "it doesn't matter" how you connect multiple speakers? I'm positive everyone here knows that when there's more than one speaker you need to make sure they're in phase. The debate that ensued after OP's question was asked and answered was whether it in fact DID matter whether a single speaker was in the "correct" phase. I went on a long rant about why phase doesn't matter for a single speaker. If you read that and thought a bunch of wackos were claiming phase doesn't matter when connecting multiple speakers, well, I'm sorry to say but you've missed the point. We agree 100% that it matters. It matters very much. You need a battery. It matters so much I disagreed with a different guy who seemed to think all you need to do is put "red to tip" and you're done.

Red to tip guy, if you're still out there, this one's for you:

I'm building an amp that I hope to get a few different fender-ish tones out of. The cab is a 2x12 and these are the first candidates up for
    audition

[​IMG]

The Jensen is a straight cone tweedish kind of thing. So lets see, red to tip... red... hmm

[​IMG]

Huh. Well okay the Oxford is a curved seam cone and sounds really great for 60s rock. Tip goes to... ah... hmm

[​IMG]

Well it looks like there was a round sticker near the terminals once. I wonder if it was red?

So I'm thinking I could mic one speaker or the other to record different 50s and 60s tones, but every now and then I don't want either of these, I want a really sparkling clean, so I'm planning to put this in an extension cab

[​IMG]

A red! We've got a red! What do you think will happen if I connect it to tip? :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.