Speaker polarity ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mfa88, Aug 5, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was thinking @Blue Bill was poking fun at the OCDiscussion, but...

IMO getting into the sound waves in the air is a myopic way of looking at how modern speaker wiring works!

Sort of like saying guitar players should tune to A 432 if they are not in a band, or that it doesn't matter what you tune your A to if you only play solo.
    Of course that is indeed true!
    In a discussion of alternate tuning preferences!

Here the OP asked "How do I know which terminal goes for the jack tip and which goes for the sleeve?".
    There is indeed a correct answer to that simple question.
    All the other answers and debate are targeted toward an entirely different question!

One reason a new guy home alone with a single amp should be given accurate tech info WRT wiring up his one lonesome speaker, is the fact that we will soon manipulate him into buying more amps, stereo rigs, Blooze Jamz, and general GAS attacks!

Blue Bill, soundchaser59 and tubegeek like this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

While we're on the subject of shoe inventions, did you know that Michael Jackson holds a patent on a type of rigged dance shoe that enabled him to do the impossible lean move?

https://mashable.com/2015/03/28/michael-jackson-shoe-patent/

Jackson-2.jpg

Blue Bill and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

You're sounding like an old lobster boat nosing into harbor...

tubegeek likes this.
  4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Awesome! Out of phase shoes?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    tubegeek and telemnemonics like this.
  5. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

Just think, this whole thread would be moot if the OP had a proper speaker cable... :D

6. telemnemonics

Holy s#!t those shoes!

...my wife is now kinda bummed that MJ wasn't actually a magician...

tubegeek likes this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I believe that patent info qualifies as a "fun fact," no?

Well, you can't always get what you want.

8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Thanks for throwing the *squirrel* into the conversation @tubegeek.

tubegeek likes this.
  9. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Yep, typo! Thanks for pointing that out.

10. TwangerWannabe

It was a typo, and if you had actually read further on in the thread and saw my other reply you would see that I CLEARLY explained myself. Here it is since you apparently just hopped on your keyboard foaming at the mouth and didn't read further on.

D'tar likes this.
  11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Please do us all a huge favor and add me to your ignore list asap. I hope I never run into you IRL, I guarantee you as long as the sun burns in the sky you will never get along with me.

12. TwangerWannabe

Ha, and I'm the problem?

Grow a thicker skin and don't let people on the interwebs get you so riled up, it's bad for your health. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, have a drink, maybe get a new, more relaxing hobby. Might I suggest giving yoga a try. Maybe talk to a therapist. Do you need a hug? Take a break and listen to some soothing, relaxing music (but make sure those speakers are connected properly. Wouldn't want you to have a meltdown if the polarity was reversed on one of them and they were out of phase). I'm, really worried about you.

P.S. You've posted 18 times today on TDPRI. Seriously, get out of the house and get some fresh air!

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, this is turning into a food fight. :lol:

To my esteemed neighbor: I wasn't poking fun, (well maybe a little), I was going for an Occam's razor solution. One wrinkle in the "red is plus" discussion is that, occasionally, a manufacturer will switch things up and use a red wire where most people put a black one, so it's not a universal rule.

telemnemonics and D'tar like this.
  14. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Completely unrelated to tube amp speaker polarity...

While working on emergency equipment.... Brand new $1M unit kept tripping the breaker every time the shore line charger was connected. This circuit is basically a 120vac circuit installed in an automotive application to maintain battery charge. In the automotive world, black is ground.... Not so in the VAC side of things. The circuit was a dead short to the chassis. Black is not always ground and red is not always opposite! I like labeled wiring that removes any preconception as to the function.

15. telemnemonics

Right, so, what's the OP to do!

Hmm, use a battery and determine which terminal on the speaker moves the cone forward with a positive input, then wire that terminal to the tip of the 1/4" plug, with the other terminal wired to the ring, which we know for sure is ground in a tube amp!

The ring is grounded to the chassis, and the chassis is NEVER positive!

Okay okay so the chassis is positive when the death cap fails yeah yeah yeah there's always an exception!

In another discussion, we might question which secondary winding wire on the OT should connect to the pos and which to the neg, but in this discussion the OP asked about wiring the speaker to the phone plug...

Blue Bill likes this.
  16. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Post #56, and the answer is + (red) generally goes to the tip. Unless it doesn't.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

I certainly get a little annoyed with Fender putting red, black, white, yellow and blue leads on pickups, even new ones, so when wiring up a guitar I go to the coil and determine the start wire and the end wire, rather than choosing my colors.

18. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

OP's question was already answered by post #7 on the first day. He's long gone.

King Fan and D'tar like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Agreed, the OP is long gone, or a whole day at least.

While answer #7 dismisses the actual "How do I know?" aspect of the OPs question, it's still only arguably correct if the OP lives on a desert island where there is only one guitar amp.

If there is another amp in the realm the OP lives within, all he has to do is run two amps together, and then it does matter.
    Or use a second ext cab.
    Why is this such a point of debate?
    Nobody ever ran two amps together?
    Nobody uses an ext cab?
    Wire a single speaker "wrong" in one of them and it sounds thin and weak, that's not an opinion, it is a fact in electronics and acoustics.
    And no, moving further from the two amps/ cabs does not alter or correct the problem.

One might say it only matters if you buy or borrow a second amp, but why tell the OP to wire it backwards in the first place?
    This problem was noticed decades ago and corrected.
    Maybe mistakes are still made in manufacturing, but that doesn't make mistakes correct.

20. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

You repeated what's already been said five times over. We're all aware when there's more than one speaker they need to be in phase. Might want to read the thread before claiming the question wasn't answered.

It's also been covered that blindly spouting "red to tip" doesn't guarantee they will be in phase. You need to check. Do you live on a desert island with only one amp? I don't. I could hook up two right now that would be out of phase if we believed your "red to tip is all you need" refrain. It's simply not true. Go buy more amps and a battery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.