Speaker MusicMaster Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Railway Ritchie, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Railway Ritchie

Railway Ritchie TDPRI Member

Hi, I have a 1970 6AQ5 version of the MMB.
    Its in a nice condition but I want the best choice of speaker for her.
    I used to have a 1974x clone, with a Celestion Blue but I'm lusting the Ruby to be honest.

Would that be an upgrade compared to this Jensen?

Grtz, Richard

2. Railway Ritchie

Forgot the pic... 20191107_143245.jpg

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't put an EV SRO coffee can speaker in there. It will tip over. I did that.

The celestion alnicos will give you the nice and crunchy stuff, I like. If you want the
    old Fender chime, I would stick with the C12n types. (Jensen,WGS,Weber,Emi)

imho

rangercaster and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I think the general consensus is that pretty much any speaker is better than the original Jensens in the MMB. The C12r would be an improvement, but still pretty inefficient. C12rs, particularly reissues, are not really regarded as particularly great. They were low budget replacements in the 60s. The multivox in my avatar had an original. I replaced it with a cheap MOD, which sounded as good or better to me. Both broke up at low volume.

The alnicos are far more expensive, and are generally accepted as an improvement over a C12r, to my knowledge. I think the MMB is voiced a tad bit more midrangey than other BF/SFs, but there are folks with far more experience than me with these. Calling @muchxs.

BTW, that's a very early MMB. I can tell by the baffle screws. NICE!! I have an early one, too. Just got it. Join the MMB club if you haven't already!

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/music-master-bass-amp-mafia.184799/

Railway Ritchie likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

I’ve thought about a C12N for mine, as I’m really happy with it in my Blues Junior. It would make it quite a bit louder, with more low end, which would be a good thing, I think.

Here’s the original MMB Jensen. It’s in good condition. But sounds poopy. I can’t even imagine trying to play bass on an original MMB, even at a whisper volume.

[​IMG]

6. Railway Ritchie

Yeah, early 1970 I guess.
    Its ptp on a strip. Screenshot_20191107-174931_Gallery.jpg

Whatizitman likes this.
  7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Believe it or not those square magnet CTS speakers were used in electronic organs. Imagine that thing just a- flappin' with a pedal tone an octave below your guitar.

There are all sorts of different directions you can go in with an MMB. Stick it in a Champ cabinet with an Eminence 820H. The little Eminence is surprisingly competent compared to the stock CTS.

Pretend it's a poor man's Princeton. Run it through a 10" Copperhead.

Wait! I got it!

12" Peavey Blue Marvel

It's one of the more competent budget speakers out there.

8. Whatizitman

Mine's 00329. Probably made on the same day, for all we know. I think after 1000 or so we start to see the fixed baffle and no corners. Don't quote me on that, though.

WAIT! I just realized that 00648 showed up earlier in the mafia thread! Either that was you, or it was owned by a TDPRI member before!!

I think the baffle and corners make these early ones really cool. I considered keeping it as stock as possible, but I had to replace one of the tube sockets. Unless @muchxs wants to let us in on his secret stash of MMB sockets, we're all gonna have to improvise!. :D

Also, the corners and straps have quite a bit of patina. Not sure what to do about that yet, or if it's even worth it to address. Relic being the fad nowadays, and all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would use an Eminence a legend GB128.

rangercaster likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

that speaker is a CTs from the 16th week of 1970....not a Jensen. The EIA code tells that...1377016.....137 = CTS, 70 = 1970 and 16 is the 16th week.
    And...the MMB amp I had sounded very good as a small, low volume practice bass amp...very clean and articulate. plug in a guitar, and it took on another persona....rock machine.

Whatizitman likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

delete

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I put a 12" Red Fang in my 6V6 MMB amp and it sounds really nice. No tip over issues, either.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's a full time job just keeping stocked with the mainstream parts much less the weird ones.

The opposite of Much XS … much less.

I ran into my Australian counterpart on another thread, @650thunderbird . I sold my '51 650 Thunderbird back in August.

I spend half my time tracking down parts I don't have and the other half of my time tryin' to find parts I know I have, somewhere...

I can send you a couple Baldwin organ modules chock full of stuff that will work in an MMB. You might have to switch over to 9 pin sockets to make the thing work. You can use 9 pin 6CM6 tubes in place of the 7 pin 6AQ5As. 6CM6s have almost been overlooked so far so they're not rudely expensive.

How 'bout a nice clear pic of that barrier strip and the parts that are on it?

They're just plain old Fender straps and corners. You can get new ones but whatever you do save the old ones. You're only original once, even if it is only an MMB.

It's a very, very early MMB.

:cool:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Whatizitman likes this.
  14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I've got a 6aq5MMB that I picked up a couple of years ago. It came with the square magnet speaker as well as a oxford with a round magnet that the seller said came out of a later MMB amp (apparently the guy used to have a bunch of them). They seem like potentially decent speakers, but neither sounded good in that amp.

I ended up putting a WGS Reaper in there because I happened to find one on craigslist cheap right after I got the amp. That made it much louder, but didn't really sound all that great. I think it really needs the right speaker to shine, but I've never put in the effort to figure out what speaker that would be. I have to think the weirdly shaped, very open cabinet is a factor too and its possible that speakers that might otherwise suit the amp don't sound right because of that.

15. Railway Ritchie

No, it was not me. My serial is 00648..

16. Railway Ritchie

Nickfl, a different rearpanel could change a lot.
    Saw recently a Youtube clip, where the poster put blankets etc in a closed 4x12 Marshall cab.
    Clean, crunch and lead, all sounded better and more defined to my ears.
    Weird, didnt expect that

17. Whatizitman

My bad. I meant 00648. I edited my post. Here’s reference to it in 2010.

Music Master Bass Amp Mafia

Railway Ritchie likes this.
  18. Whatizitman

I bought a couple of “NOS” 7 pin sockets, and hacked one in place. They are smaller in diameter. Drilled the center out of the original socket, and mounted the new one to the rivets. Looks good from the bottom. Embarrassing from the top. I’ll see if it holds well enough.

EDIT: oops. Sorry to derail, OP. I’ll shut up now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Railway Ritchie

Chris from CMW amps told me that he bought the amp from a member here.
    After bringing it back to stock and reversing the mods ( Except for the fuse I hope) he had id for a while before he sold it to me.

Whatizitman likes this.
  20. Railway Ritchie

I don't mind derail, btw

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.