1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker mix and match advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaGriff, Nov 27, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

As posted in another thread, I am about to build a Mojotone 5F11. I ordered the kit without cabinet or speaker, as I have a cabinet already (with a 12" baffle instead of the 10").

So my question here is how should I mix and match my current assortment of 12" speakers? Or should I go ahead and buy one to match a certain amp.

The amps:
    -'69 Deluxe Reverb
    -'57 Tremolux (5E9-A)
    -Mojotone 5F11 Vibrolux

The speakers:
    -Oxford 12L6, 1969 original to above Deluxe Reverb (currently in a box)
    -WGS G12C/S (currently in Deluxe Reverb)
    -Weber 12A125H 30W (currently in Tremolux)
    -EV Force 12 (currently in a box)
    -A different speaker? Fill in the blank

How would you guys match these speakers and amps? I am kind of thinking the Weber is best suited to the '57 Tremolux - probably a suitable replacement for the original speaker which is long gone. I also think it would be good with the Mojotone 5F11 but I think the original Tremolux is better served by it.

After that... I had been thinking of trying the Force 12 in the Deluxe Reverb and the WGS with the 5F11. I'd rather not buy another speaker, but if there's strong opinion that none of these options will work, I could go that route...

Any and all opinions appreciated!

Thanks

2. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I really dig the Emi 1028 Alnico in a 5f11. Just amazing.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that! What would be the 12" equivalent? All of these amps have 12" baffles.

4. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure, but I believe they make one. I "inherited" the 10" in the amp, an I couldn't be happier.
    I play mostly Americana and alt country, and run with a rootsy tone.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sadly, Eminence does not make a 12" alnico Legend any more. I scored one a couple years ago on eBay and love it in my 5e3.

I would probably want alnico in the 5f11. Although, I've been enjoying some Celestions in my tweeds recently. In my Twin, I run a Celestion Neo Creamback and a Jensen 12-100 (also Neo). I went neodymium because of weight, but I have come to truly love these speakers. I had a Creamback 65 and Eminence 1258 in it for a little while, they were a good pair as well!

I have heard nothing but good of the DR/WGS G12 combo. The Weber 12a125 is a really good tweed speaker (I have a pair of Weber P10Q's in a '63 Vibroverb RI), so I'd leave it in the Tremolux. I'd keep the Oxford in the box, if you're worried about keeling it for originality.... I have no opinion on the EV, but I dunno that it would be a good mix with a tweed amp?

I dunno, I'd suggest an alnico or something British flavored (for a little something different) for the new amp.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Having the speakers on hand is easier than deciding what to buy based on what other players like.
    IMO what we like has little or nothing to do with what you will like, but you may have a shot at getting what sounds the most original out of online opinions.

For me a lot of my speaker choice depends on my guitars, my volume range, and of course my sound preferences.

For example many vintage small distorted amps came with low wattage speakers that could barely produce bass, and these amps had low gain preamp tubes and got low output ice pick tone pickups run into them.
    Now at the very least most guitars and players have higher output pickups with more bass and mids output, plus in many cases we replace 12ay7 with 12ax7.

IMO this makes for mushy indistinct guitar sound, but if you use low gain preamp tubes and low output pickups, plus want old time soggy bottom toanz, maybe you prefer a small magnet small paper VC speaker. Etc...

With your three amps and four speakers it’s easy to run each amp through every speaker. Sometimes I like what I expect to like with an amp, and other times I’m surprised by which speaker sounds best to me with a particular amp.

I never like a classic g12m25 GB with a classic Marshall circuit and never like a small magnet small VC alnico with a classic Tweed circuit.

I think I prefer large magnet large VC alnico speakers but often find a ceramic speaker sounds better.
    Recently I’ve been using a darker toned Eminence ceramic with an Esquire into an 18w but switch back to a Red Fang or Celestion Gold or Blue for a HB guitar.

Bought a vintage Jensen P12N ( large magnet 1 1/2” VC alnico) with a new recone and liked it for a while but got tired of the distorted bass response and slight mid scoop. Great speaker back into a box.

One speaker that always surprises me is the discontinued Eminence Red Ryder.
    Supposedly a Celestine classic lead 80 copy and just a great sounding speaker in almost any amp.
    Because we are in a speaker boom there are lots of options and IME vintage speakers and their copies are no longer the best route to great sound. Speaker tech has improved and old time speakers pretty much all have poor bottom end.
    I’d say choose old time speakers if you really really like that mushy bass when you turn up above 2. It has its place but you should make that choice since it is a choice!

AlbertaGriff and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.