Speaker help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by horax, Nov 21, 2019.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

bought a champion 600 today.

I’m digging it with humbuckers but not with single coils.

I bought it expecting to mod it, and I’m not sure which speaker I should get

I don’t want to cut the baffle, so I’m stuck with a 6 inch ceramic speaker. I’m looking at Weber

Anybody been able to compare the flat cone to the ridge cone? The flat breaks up earlier, but HOW early when compared to the ridged cone?

I want something punchy and Bluesy so I want overdrive, but also don’t want to lose a lot of headroom.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Also think about alnico vs ceramic. Ceramic gives you the overhead but the alnico gives
    you the bluesy. imho

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What is it that you don’t like about the single coils?? If my guess is correct, then put a pedal in the signal chain with the single coil....and maybe an EQ pedal.

rangercaster likes this.
  4. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Mostly the lack of volume. That can be rectified by removing the grille cloth (will happen). The buckers have enough power to push past it.

Really liking this, though. Need to pull out the tele and lit the strat away and check it out.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

As Wally suggests ... One guitar has hotter pickups that drive the amp harder and you prefer that sound ... The other needs a little extra boost to achieve the same result ...

Wally likes this.
  6. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

You dont want to cut the baffle but dont mind removing the grill cloth?
    Its a 5 watt with a 6" speaker, you might be chasing your tail here.

Tim S likes this.
  7. Wally

That is a common problem with Fender single coils....they don’t have much oomph....with any amp. That is why a boost or overdrive pedal is necessary for such pickups when a P90 or humbucker can push an amp without assistance.

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You just discovered the hassle with 6" speakers. They're wimpy. You only have choices of a couple more wimpy speakers.

You don't have to modify your stock baffle. Unbolt it. Make a new baffle. It's just a tiny piece of plywood. Fit either an 8" or a 6"x9" speaker in there. Don't be OCD about centering it in your new baffle. It fits where it fits.

An Eminence 820H is an enormous improvement over the wimpy stock 6".

I had a lot of requests for Champ heads. Not a very good idea IMO and I'll tell you why. The cabinet is tiny to begin with . It's difficult to make it smaller without restricting cooling to the tubes. It's a useful amp as- is for so many different things with its stock small speaker.

I added a jack in the bottom of the cabinet that cuts out the internal speaker and sends full power to an extension speaker cabinet. You can wire a Marshall 4x12" for 4 ohms if you want. That's a quick way to make your little amp the biggest baddest little amp in your neighborhood.

King Fan, horax, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  9. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

a lot of cool ideas here

10. Wally

I have a 5 watter that works with any guitar....but it was built in 1964 with a Jensen C12Q as the OEM speaker..with a solid copper chassis. No small Fender I have ever heard can match it.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.